“Fantastic Place To Stay”
Review of Spruce Lodge

Spruce Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in South Fork
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Fantastic Place To Stay”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

My family has stayed at the Spruce Lodge twice while skiing at Wolf Creek. Both times we have had good stays and really enjoy how friendly the owners are. South Fork is a better place to stay when skiing than Pegosa Springs since it is closer and when the snow is flying you can still get to Wolf Creek even if it is dumping heavily, not the case in Pegosa Springs. We have not stayed in any of the cabins, only the main lodge which has a great old charm as it is nearly 100 years old.

The Spruce Lodge is also Veteran-friendly with a reserved space for Veterans. We plan to go back whenever we are skiing at Wolf Creek because of how friendly the owners are.

Room Tip: If you are picky about pillows, bring your own pillow. My wife and I have My Pillow brand pillows a...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Reviewed 13 December 2012

beautiful property and small hometown feel ... private Jacuzzi in each room with fireplace ... Dee (who runs the place) is amazing and ever so helpful with local attractions and activities ...
can't wait to return for my next trip!

Room Tip: no swimming pool but hot tub on premise
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yesenia s
Reviewed 21 November 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at the Spruce lodge a couple times and have no complaints. It isn't a 4 sar hotel but its a cute lodge with clean rooms, good prices, free breakfast, and its close to the slopes. They recently remodeled some of the rooms so they are better than my first stay. The staff is super friendly! We love staying at Spruce!

• Stayed November 2012
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I would come back as much as I could. The service was great and the owners were super helpful and friendly. I loved the layout of our room and the whole place. We ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was amazing and not badly priced. I also liked having the option of a continental breakfast since we were staying there. My boyfriend and I are planning on coming back in the spring when we can go rafting.

• Stayed November 2012
Albuquerque
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights recently. Super cute log cabin-type rooms, included a refrigerator/freezer and a microwave, which made meals a breeze. The beds and pillows were truly the most comfortable I have every encountered in a rented room! Nice tv and free wifi. Staff was friendly, even though I checked in rather late. Very reasonably rates. Only problem I encountered was a loss of water once while I was showering. Turns out the pipes had been freezing due to the low nightime temps so the water had to be turned off then turned back on to remedy the problem....Not a huge issue, just wish it would have been mentioned at check-in so it would have been expected. Scenery couldn't be beat, South Fork is beautiful! Definitely hope to make a return trip to the Spruce Lodge!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Del Norte, Colorado
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I found the Spurce Lodge very nice. I loved the king bed and the jacuzzi tub. The staff was friendly and helpful. The view from my window was gorgous. I stayed in the B and B the breakfast was lovely. It was an interesting experience one I plan on doing again next fall.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Texas
Reviewed 1 October 2012

The owners are doing a lot to make this property increasingly comfortable and attractive. We stopped in a few months ago for two nights and stayed again for two nights in September. We found many improvements on our visit this time and expect to return. On both visits, we have had large rooms and adequate bathrooms, though I don't know that I would want to bathe in the tub -- it was old and scratched. Having said that, I believe the family that owns the lodge is making steady improvements to the facilities and amenities. We had a new king-sized bed in Cabin 2, everything was clean, there as a small fridge, a microwave, and an ice bucket -- though we didn't need ice -- the small refrigerator had a freezer, and we noticed that the construction debris behind the cabins has been newly cleaned up and landscaped. This lodge has been around for many years, and it has a lot to offer: a rustic appeal, spacious rooms, beautiful scenery nearby, free WiFi, reasonable rates, and pet friendly. There is a "continental breakfast" on the porch, but also a new restaurant in the main lodge, and several other restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the amenities you want. For example, we could walk our dog easily from Cabin 2...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple