Steamboat Ski Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: A year-round resort offering winter and spring skiing on 165 trails of trademark "champagne powder," plus hiking, biking and other outdoor activities in summer and fall.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was my 2nd trip to Steamboat. I am an intermediate skier and others in my group were expert. The resort provides options for everyone. If you are an advanced skier I would recommend participating in their mountain tour program. I think they will take you to places on the mountain you might not find otherwise. Ski school is great too but inquire early during peak periods so you can plan your days and have first choice. On mountain food is excellent with prices fairly typical. If you are skiing greens/blues at the top all the way to the right when looking up at the mountain make sure you allow ample time (and energy) to get back around to at least the Gondola or back down the mountain. It is a hike if you are looking to stay on mostly green trails! Overall Steamboat is a fabulous resort with great snow and a lovely town to explore. I highly recommend.

2  Thank Juleszee
Write a ReviewReviews (1,340)

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is one of my favorite ski resorts, ever! In recent years they've been catering more to families and their ski school but they have some of the best snow around and cannot be beat! Have gone here from November to March and the snow is great at all times through the season! Do not miss the opportunity if you get it, GO TO STEAMBOAT! Everyone here is so friendly and nice, as well. The free bus in town makes getting around easy!

1  Thank frequentflyer715
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I'm a beginner/advance beginner skier and this resort had plenty of good trails for me to explore as I gain balance. I highly recommend it, we WILL be going again, just wish we could go once a month during ski season....

1  Thank Swangin1
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Steamboat Springs is my absolute favourite. Having skied in a number of resorts in Colorado and Europe, I have found Steamboat to be the absolute stand-out for Aussies who love to ski with their family. Why?

A) Easy to get to over the Xmas-New Year break. With the new direct flights from LAX to Steamboat you can be faster door to door than flying to Japan. And there are a number of flights from LAX to Denver, with a simple shuttle ride or own-drive to Steamboat Resort.

B) Accommodation is extremely reasonable. Great value vs the European offerings. I have stayed at Quails Run, Cross Timbers and The West, and depending on your budget these all offer excellent amenities and close proximity to the slope. The West is my favourite.

C) The snow is incredible. This season we had a great deal of dry powder days. The locals call the snow – Champagne Powder. It is light, bubbly and effervescent. So easy to learn to ski and get super competent on or in.

D) Kids under 12 ski free with every adult lift ticket. Can you believe that? A big cost saving.

E) Food is very reasonable, whether you cook at home, or visit the local restaurants. With AUD exchange rate, you get more value for you $ than buying your groceries at your local Coles. Fresh fruit is readily available.

F) The skiing offers a great deal for all the family. The mountain has excellent beginner slopes and children’s programs for the less experienced. And for those that just want to carve, slash and drop, there are some amazing Double Black runs, that need to be seen to be believed. For those that like to ski in between the extremes, the mountain offers a large variety of groomed, long and variable runs. We had a large group of people skiing from Australia last year, and there was something for everyone, every day. Lots of variety, and lots to talk about each night.

10  Thank CathH-C
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been skiing at Steamboat Ski Resort for close to 20 years. It was always my preferred place to go because the people are just so awesome - not pretentious at all. I have looked up many times and seen that I was skiing by an Olympic athlete too. Everyone just wants to ski or board and have a great time. The terrain is varied - great beginner, intermediate and advanced slopes. New Four Points hut has great healthy food options and a beautiful bar - be sure to check it out!! Oh... the snow is just amazing most days too. Powder days are just the best of course, but the groomers are very special too. Lots of lodging options close by as well from inexpensive-ish (let's pretend that's a real word??) hotels or condos to luxurious 4-bedroom places at One Steamboat Place. My favorite option was always a condo as I like having a kitchen to cook in. Shuttle service is timely, clean, easy to use to get anywhere in town. Very safe, small town feel too yet there is plenty of great music and about a zillion other things to do while you are here if you can bear to part from the skiing/boarding.

2  Thank addax12