“Sheraton location is great - summer service was hit/miss”

Steamboat Ski Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: A year-round resort offering winter and spring skiing on 165 trails of trademark "champagne powder," plus hiking, biking and other outdoor activities in summer and fall.
Reviewed 5 July 2014

The Sheraton is a nice hotel in a great area. We were there in the summer and I suspect the staff was not running at full capacity as they do in the winter, so I really debated whether to go with a 3 vs. a 4, but ultimately gave this location the benefit of the doubt. Here's why: I had three main issues during my stay. 1) After specifically calling ahead prior to booking to make CERTAIN the pool was open and heated, and being told yes, we arrived the first night and were promptly tossed out of the pool area at 8:30 pm because the lights were not functioning properly and it was a "safety hazard" (including not being able to even sit and enjoy the fire or seating around the pool)....there was no plan to fix this during our stay. 2) The in-room dining and other services were on the t.v. and not easily accessible in a book in the room....so after a long drive, I had to futz around with the t.v. to order my dinner (and still had to then call the room service button on the phone, which didn't answer, then the front desk who transferred me, and finally the room service folks). Other services such as housekeeping and valet were also not easily handled by directing guests to the t.v., so why bother. 3) After calling down to the front desk/guest services to get my car (as instructed at check-in), we came down only to wait for 20 minutes for our car....and finally I had to go to the front desk and ask again, and wait again (but not as long). So after all of this, why did I give them 4 out of 5? Well, I have to say that in each instance (except the pool, which really gets my goat), the staff handled the situations professionally and fairly. The valet incident in particular was really handled well -- they took the resort fee off my bill automatically once they realized what happened (I didn't have to ask or demand), and the next day the valet sought me out when I picked up my car and very personally and publicly took ownership of his oversight and apologized, genuinely. It was a mistake. Things happen. I get it. He handled it as well and probably better than many other service professionals I've ever dealt with. With all this said, there were also many high points about this hotel -- the location is excellent, the "activity zone" for kids visiting in the summer is right at the base of the hotel and was a LOT of fun, the bartender was excellent, room service was delicious and efficient once we got past the ordering phase, and the bed/shower/AC were all spot on. I would go back (and you can bet I'll ask about the pool lights next time!).

1  Thank mommylonglegs
Write a ReviewReviews (1,457)
All reviews
"varied terrain"
"big mountain"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Very diverse selection of bike rentals. Something for everyone in the family. They have trailers and tag-a-longs for young children that can attach to your bike for easy riding.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here week before Xmas 2013. Great runs, great snow, great facilities. Also free bus transport to and from resort and all over town. Have skied several other resorts in USA this is by far our favourite.

3  Thank ROBYN R
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Hve gone to Steamboat for 2 years in a row and planning on a 3rd trip. The champagne powder is so easy to ski through. Since the mountain is so large, even during the Christmas week, the mountain did not feel crowded once you get past the morning gridlock at the gondola.
Staff are very friendly. Kids lessons are great

1  Thank Rich D
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was my 2nd trip to Steamboat. I am an intermediate skier and others in my group were expert. The resort provides options for everyone. If you are an advanced skier I would recommend participating in their mountain tour program. I think they will take you to places on the mountain you might not find otherwise. Ski school is great too but inquire early during peak periods so you can plan your days and have first choice. On mountain food is excellent with prices fairly typical. If you are skiing greens/blues at the top all the way to the right when looking up at the mountain make sure you allow ample time (and energy) to get back around to at least the Gondola or back down the mountain. It is a hike if you are looking to stay on mostly green trails! Overall Steamboat is a fabulous resort with great snow and a lovely town to explore. I highly recommend.

2  Thank Juleszee