“Inadequate facilities for campground capacity!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Steamboat Springs
Steamboat Campground
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Core sites seem quite nice. However as campground grew, the owners did so haphazardly. Sites along the perimeter were not level, without pads and for the most part added without proper planning. Restrooms were inadequate for number of patrons and often left unattended. Floors were constantly wet, garbage full, and in general not very sanitary (slippery and dangerous). Shower and bathroom stalls were ridiculously small. Our site was unshaded, just off the highway (i.e., noisy), and small even for our pop-up. The next camper in a 5th wheel was just feet from our front door.
Campground is on river but there is no designated access point aside from walking through another camper's site which we would not do and the campground itself suggests campers avoid. Pool is unshaded and small.
Amenities require additional fees.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank kreed3552

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I made our reservation for camping here a couple months in advance to secure a spot for a friday-sunday. No problem at all, they were very kind & courteous. I was given a confirmation number which the girl said she was also going to email me (never got). The week before we were set to go, i got a job offer & would have to end up spending that friday filling out paperwork, training, etc.. So midweek, i call up the campground to let them know and cancel well ahead of the 24hr notice. It was just after 6, the phone was at first busy, so i tried back a couple minutes later. This time and about tries later, it just kept ringing - no voicemail to go to. Might i also throw in that THEY HAVE NO EMAIL posted OR SUBMISSION AREA ON THE WEBSITE, so other than the lousy phone service, you have no way to contact. Thursday i try again, but this time i was able to leave a message - where they say they will "call right back!". I figured at this point everything was good. I didn't hear anything the rest of that day, so i call back friday morning and do the exact same thing, leaving another message. I get a call back at 6:23pm from them, leaving me a message that they were getting ready to close at 6:30 (what kind of campground CLOSES at 6:30 on a FRIDAY!?) and would leave my campground map in the nighttime pickup location, as if they had not got any of my messages in the first place. I called back immediately 3 times and NO ONE PICKED UP so i left a mssg AGAIN explaining what happened. Still no call back. Saturday afternoon rolls around, i get ANOTHER call from them, which i could not get to in time, saying "well we never heard from you so we are going to have to charge you for the nights stay". I called back within less than 2 minutes of their call and AGAIN NO ONE PICKED UP & left a not so nice message!
After so many messages and attempts to let them know of my cancellation, i truly believe that they intentionally turn a blind eye and play dumb, simply to charge me for the full stay. Little did they know that after Friday when i couldn't get through to them after 3 days, i cancelled my debit card they had on file, so that i would not have to go through a fiasco of most likely not getting our money back from these yahoo's.
I can't speak for the campground & stay, but as far as operations and customer service, you are much better off staying at the state park or elsewhere. Completely disgusted with how this "wasn't" handled & will never recommend this campground to anybody.

Room Tip: Yes, book elsewhere.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Matt M
Reviewed 21 July 2013

BEWARE! if they mess up your reservation - as they did ours - and you get even the least bit upset, management will call you "rude" and simply cancel your reservation just a few days before arrival.
We made reservations with three other couples in February for the week of July 4th in side by side sites. After multiple attempts we never received a confirmation. They are very difficult to get a hold of. A few days prior, I did reach them and was informed we were in a different site than we were originally given, and not by our friends. The young girl I spoke with said she would have to talk to the managers and they'd probably have to call the people who were now in our spot to see if we could get it back. The manager would call me later.
The manager called back after 20 minutes, accused me of being rude to her employee and was cancelling our reservation. I was shocked! I said I was not rude, I was just trying to figure out how they were going to work this out and how this had happened since the reservation was made months ago and in conjunction with our friend's reservations. She claimed they recorded our conversation (I think that's illegal to do without informing the all parties involved) and I was rude. Not remembering anything I said to this young employee as being rude, as I was asking to listen to that recorded conversation, the manager hung up on me! Who's rude????
We are empty nesters and have done many camping trips already this year and many more scheduled, so I was happy to not have to give my business to people who treat their customers this way. I just hope some family with little kids, all excited about their one vacation of the year that is planned for Steamboat Campground, doesn't have their vacation canceled on them. Turns out, no one was in our original site...
Also beware there are certain breeds of dogs they don't allow but don't tell you about that until you arrive. Also, some sites have fire pits and some don't, which they don't mention either.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jonathan F
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We rented an RV in Denver and this was our first stop. The spots are very close together, at least where we stayed, but the location is very beautiful in general. I really liked the staff. They let the kids use the three wheel bikes much longer than what we paid for. The campground store was well stocked for campground needs. The showers were very clean. Overall, I would recommend but maybe take the advice of previous posters as to site location

1  Thank Libby C
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Nice location on the banks of the Yampa River. But, our experience with their customer service is leaving us feeling kinda put out.

I made our reservations back in February, for the 1st of July. At that time, specifically chose site 50. Two days ago, the staff called us and told us that if we didn't change our site, they were going to get yelled at by an irate customer, who ostensibly did not have the foresight to make reservations as early as I did. After being assured that all sites "we're exactly the same", we agreed to the swap and were placed in site 57.

We arrive to see our original site occupied by the would-be angry customer. That particular site was on the end, and has a nice grassy area about 50' by 50'. Ours...not so much.

We have the pleasure of enjoying an 8' swath of beautiful Northern Colorado. We are literally on top of our neighbors, and I am so looking forward to dining outside right next to their sewer pipe.

My wife brought this to their attention, and wanted to let them know that we got the crappy end of the stick. Indifference is exactly the response she got in return. So, despite being responsible and making reservations five months in advance and despite being great customers to help this place avoid a confrontation, we get the privilege of paying for and staying in a substandard site without any sort of compensation or empathy from the staff. Giving us some s'mores fixings, on the house, for our trouble would have been appreciated. Instead, we get a shrug of the shoulders and a "sorry you're not happy."

Yep...not coming back to this place any time soon.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Superflybriguy
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We have stayed at this campground several times in the past and I just wanted to compliment the new management! They are very caring and tuned into every detail going on, which as a campground owner myself makes all the difference in the world. Clean restrooms, very clean cabin with well cared for grounds & always a smile and kind words for a guest. Keep it up guys!

Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed here June 14-16 2013. This park is very well kept with a very responsive, thoughtful and friendly staff. We had a wonderful time staying in the campground and used most of the facilities. The bathrooms were always being cleaned. It was terrible that the staff had to clean up behind some very messy campers who obviously were raised in a barn, but nonetheless the staff worked tirelessly to keep the bathrooms clean. I know that the condition of bathrooms can make some people give bad reviews, but none of the bathroom issues were the fault of the staff and they stayed on top of it the best they could. The grounds were well manicured and even though the campground is old, the buildings and amenities are very nice. We had no issues with the hook-ups at our site. The staff was very courteous to every family we saw them interact with and made sure the customer was served appropriately. It really is too bad some of the campers seemed to take advantage of the generosity of the staff. I highly recommend this campground for anyone staying in Steamboat area. We will be back for sure. You really do get what you paid for and anyone who has an issue with this campground probably has issues themselves. It seems that some visitors are abusing the system letting those not staying in the campground use the facilities without paying which in my opinion is wrong. At the Steamboat campground you will find a friendly staff, clean campground and nice place to stop and stay while enjoying the beautiful Colorado scenery.

Room Tip: Try and get a site away from the mobile home park that back up to the RV park. The residents of that...