“Great Full Service Condo/Hotel”

The Steamboat Grand
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We normally stay at Bear Claw for the ski in ski out location. This time we went with another family and the dad does not ski so we decided to try the Grand. Excellent full service ammenities. There is a restaurant and bar next to the lobby, a starbucks and ski shop. The pool and hot tubs are very nice and there is drink and food service out by the pool. The rooms are much larger than what the pictures show. We had a 2br/2ba and it was very spacious and clean. The kitchen has granite counter tops. The only reason I did not give this a 5 is because their website states you walk across the street to the ski storage and gondola. What they forget to mention is that once across the street you have to walk down several sets of stairs to get to the gondola/lifts. It's further of a walk than what I was expecting.

Room Tip: We had room 640 which is close to the exit to go across the street. Our friends had room 401 which...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 March 2012

I didn't stay at the Grand but came for the spa, and wasn't disappointed. I enjoy frequent massage and Trish demonstrates great technique, consistent pressure, even strokes, all with a sweet personality and presence. Thanks

Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2012

There are alot of good things about tis hotel but also alot of easily fixed annoying things.

I have rated it Average because Good was not an option and I don't feel the hotel deserves very good, which was the next rating up from average.

We stayed in a one bedroom condo with kitchenette, seperate bedroom, large lounge with fireplace & small balcony off the bedroom. It was clean and housekeeping good throughout our stay. The bathroom we had was spacious but only has a shower over the bath and no storage drawers/cupboards. This was very odd as there was plenty of room to add these and made it annoying to have lots of wash/make up items that could not be unpacked or stored in the bathroom(no space). I also think bedroom drawer space lacking but there was good wardrobe space for two people. The lack of drawers could have been a problem for 4+ people in this condo.

The view we had from the lounge was very good and overlooked the mountain and Gondola square entrance. The air con/heating system good, king sized bed comfy but soundproofing not good in bedroom and we could hear the snow groomers/ploughs clearing the car parks and road areas from 4am. Constant bleeping and scraping noise, this was very disturbing after large snowfalls. There was also some kind of plumbing rumbling a few times each evening before 11pm. We didnt investigate further as didn't really disturb us during sleep
The bar/grand cafe area good. Shame the Grand cafe only opens at 5.30pm and then we had to nudge them that it was opening time! Staff and service good and we enjoyed our meal there. We did not try the breakfast buffet. We thought it was great to have a Starbucks in the building but the service sporadic. Disappointing there were not always cookies/scones available. I am sure they would have been a good seller but they did not seem to supply the demand.
I can't see how a hotel can be classed as luxury when the restaurant/food facilities are so very lacking here. Its a large building and could even do with a small grocery shop considering most rooms have kitchenettes and alot are timeshare/owned. There is a liquor store underneath the building and a Pizza place that only opened Wed-Sun a few doors away. Its expensive, so we expected more I guess. Its location to the ski slopes very good, not ski in/ski out and a lot of steps at this resort in the Gondola square area. Not a problem for us but should be noted by others. The Grand does provide ski and boot storage , (across the street in Gondola Square) no extra charge (except tips) but while we were here it was hard to find a rack for our boots and there are no lockers which could have been useful. There are very good bus services to downtown free of charge -pick up across street from hotel which is very convienient and the Grand has a shuttle bus but doesn't start until 1.15pm, Reception when we arrived, friendly, helpful and porters good. The hotel lobby and corridoors were clean and tidy. There is a pool here which we didnt try but agree with comments written previously on the spa waiting area, looked shabby.
One final important note. There was a fire alarm whilst we were here and it happened as we were returning into the hotel. It didnt seem very well organised or managed by the staff. People were needlessly outside the building with no shoes, robes and shivering after having left the pool, no staff around to see this until I pointed it out to someone inside on a walkie talkie. The staff gave the impression they were not sure what to do or tell people. After a while people just walked off and back into the building whilst the fire alarm was still going off as fed up I think. There was no announcement at the end of all this about anything and whilst the alarm was still sounding, people were in the Starbucks getting coffee! One member of staff asked if everyone should be out of the pool and the reply (by another member of staff) was, oh should I have got everyone out? surely thats the safest place to be in a fire!
Love Steamboat, a lot of nice people here. The Grand has a great location and could easily be tweaked to reach 5 stars I think.

Room Tip: Ask about storage in the room and sleeping facilities/beds etc the extra beds in our lounge didnt lo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed in two rooms as I booked my trip late, and found them both to be well equipped, very clean, and perfectly well for my trip. The hotel is across the street from the slopes and gondola area, so its not ski in / ski out, but they have a storage facility for your skis & gear very close to the Gondola, which I found to be very handy. The staff was courteous, friendly, and helpful at all times.

What I didn't like was almost every other service was at a cost, other than wireless internet. Parking, breakfast, were not included. There are two giant jacuzzi and a heated pool which feel amazing after a long day on the slopes, especially as you can order drinks while soaking.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Mountain, its beautiful.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This hotel claims to be a luxury hotel with luxury spa services. I found it to be anything but that. Less than professional staff that I found to be somewhat annoying, starting with the doormen who practically grabbed the luggage out of our hands, insisting that they carry them up to our room. No necessary as we only had two bags. The pool area was ok however, the heavy metal music blaring from the speakers was anything but relaxing, not to mention the children's birthday party taking place behind at the tables around the pool. The studio room I actually did like and was impressed with the kitchenette which was actually more like a full kitchen.

I have to say the "spa" was the most disappointing! The waiting are of the "spa" was a small depressing room with drab, old furniture, dirty carpet and some magazines. The massage therapist was running 15-20 minutes late (I didn't mind this) and had the nerve to stop my massage 15 minutes early, I'm guessing to try to get back on schedule. Mind you they charge $110 dollars for a 60 minute massage. Very disappointed, would never return.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jo C
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We booked a room for 4 for 3 nights as part of a wedding party. My wife and I decided to come one day early - upon arrival we asked if the room that we were to be staying in for the rest of the trip was available - it was, however, they would not give it to us at the same rate despite it being empty and it being 11:30pm at night. Instead they made us stay in a nicer room (albeit with only one bed) that had a full kitchen and amenities - which we promptly moved out of at 7am the next morning to move into our "larger room" with two queens. They opted to clean a second room rather than simply let us move into our existing reservation.... The "bigger room" did in fact have 2 queen size beds - but it had no other amenities. A sofa place in one corner and two sitting chairs placed randomly against the wall far away from the "sitting area". The room had no coat hangers - no towel racks - no drying racks for ski clothes - and only a single mirror which was located in the tiny bathroom(which for two women getting ready for a wedding while two men need to shower - was totally unacceptable). We asked for a second mirror of some sort - to which they laughed incredulously and made us feel silly for asking... not great guest service....

The breakfast was decent - but not included in the price.

The servers in the restaurant acted as if they were inconvenienced by having guests - they were not accommodating and were entirely unpleasant to deal with - to the point of us not wanting to leave any sort of tip - let alone ask for more of their HORRENDOUS coffee...

I don't typically write bad reviews - but our family was a large group - with a LARGE expensive wedding being hosted by the Steamboat Grand - (I can't imagine the liquor and food bill from the reception) yet we were treated like second rate guests - and as an inconvenience which came as a surprise during a bad snow year where all their guest numbers are down....

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with a full kitchen.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank 3wing
Reviewed 11 February 2012

This place was fantastic.......the service excellent and amenities top notch. Great bar and food. Very close proximity to the gondola. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple