“Getting sketchy”
Review of Western Lodge

Western Lodge
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed 11 August 2008

This property has really gone downhill since last year. I stayed here this year for a couple of days to extend my Steamboat stay and take advantage of more powder.

The powder was great but the room was filthy and the guy at the front desk was rude, emerges from the office in a cloud of smoke and just says the room is fine deal with it.

The walls are also a bit thin a fact that we got to know the way I still can't get out of my head.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank chamonix1

Reviewed 26 January 2008

If you feel like sleeping in a disgusting place that will smell and deal with an owner who will everything in his power to rip you off then this is the place for you. After being forced to stay in a smoking room after booking a non-smoking room and took one look at the room, I immediately asked for a refund. He changed the agreement, yet still tried to keep my full payment. After speaking with the local police, this apparently is not the first time it's happened either, happens frequently the police officer said. Moral of the story...DON'T STAY HERE!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank joeguy
Reviewed 3 September 2007

The owners have not made any efforts to update furnishings or interiors but everything (showers, outlets, lights, tv, minifridge) worked just fine. It was clean and reasonably quiet and the bed was comfortable. On the good side, it's within walking distance to downtown for dining and shopping. Although odd, the owner was helpful.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank FunAnywhere
Reviewed 1 May 2006

All i can say do not stay here.The rooms are run down and nasty.The old guy that check us in was rude and tried to double bills us. What really buged me was he acted like he was doing us a favor.There are alot nicer places to stay in "The Boat"

• Stayed: April 2005
4  Thank JayM123
Reviewed 5 September 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Western Lodge over Labor Day 2005. It's nothing fancy, but if you're looking for clean, and cheap this is the place. It's at the edge of downtown and within walking distance of many restaurants. Plus, Steamboat has a free bus system, so you can get around quite easily.
Our hotel room was quite spacious and had a small refrigerator in it. It worked well for us.

• Stayed: September 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
Lafayette, CO
Reviewed 12 May 2005

My boyfriend and I decided to try to find a good deal for a hotel in Steamboat springs for Presidents day weekend. I had contacted the Western Lodge that Wednesday before and the lady quoted me 42.00 a night and the room avaliable (which was the only room available) was a two queen bed room. I called around to different hotels, and when I called back to make a reservation the next day, the "owner" said that the price just went up to 84.00. I explained that I had talked to someone the day before and they quoted me of 42.00 a night, and asked him if he would honor the price I was given the day before. He said no because the person I talked to the day before was wrong on the pricing. I also mentioned that when I checked on his website it also mentioned 42.00 a night. He said because there were two queen beds, he is charging 42.00 a bed a night. I explained that it was only my boyfriend and I (we will obviously be sharing a bed), and he said he understood that, but there are two beds in the room and he charged by the bed not the room. Needless to say we did not stay there.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member