“Best rates in Steamboat or Craig”
Review of Western Lodge

Western Lodge
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Colorado
“Best rates in Steamboat or Craig”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Yeah, it's 'quirky' shall we say? But at $42/nt AFTER taxes, you weren't expecting turn-down service were you? In my dealings with him, the owner was quite helpful, friendly, and chatty. I was in a pickle and got a great rate on a week here, cheaper than renting an actual room in town. It's dated, you might ask to borrow the vacuum, but the heat & hot water are plentiful, the fridge & micro work, the bed decent, the wi-fi free & fast. Thanks Peter, you really helped me out of a jam. ~S

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ChefyMcChefington

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Started out as a nice inexpensive motel. Staff was kind and courteous. Then we got to the room. The smell was one of something dead. The room was not clean at all, cob webs, dirty q tips, furniture from the 70's, plastic over the mattress's to cover or protect, I don't know. Very dirty bathrooms. We decided to go eat dinner then come back and see what could be done, Needless to say no one was in the office after 11 so we packed up and moved on to the Hampden Inn. 100X better. Went back the next day to talk to the owner that insisted we trashed the room and that the smell was from the Hot Springs. Yes, absolutely that smell was there as well. Go outside to get fresh air and get hit with the smell of sulfur. All I wanted was my money back for the 2nd night and he refused. He yelled at me and the kids that are 13. I give this hotel a - 2 stars

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Andrew B

Travellers are raving about these Steamboat Springs hotels

Lone Tree, Colorado
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Do not stay here, ever! The owner is a jerk (I'll keep it clean). He threatened to have our vehicles towed because we parked near his office door and he lost business because our vehicles were parked there. News flash: no one wants to stay at this place.....you didn't lose any business and if anyone wanted a place to stay and couldn't find the office because our trucks were parked in front of the door- we did you a favor!

The room was horrible! My buddy pulled the sheets back and found hair all over the sheets. We slept in our jackets and pants on the outside of the comforter. The pillows were gross and stained-I used a bath towel to lay on.

This guy has to go! Could be a good place if the right owner had it. This guy needs to go back to Russia.

The only reason I gave this one green circle is I had to! I would give it a negative rating.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tim S
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 5 January 2014

my wife and I stayed here jan. 3 2014. we usually find the cheapest hotels to stay at. we are not real picky. all we need is a clean room, bed and basic amenities.
are room had a bad foul odor. the room was dirty. the walls, pillows and mattress. there is no bath soap or shampoo. the mattress is rapped in plastic and is from the 60's or 70's. can tell by the avocado green and orange strips. + it smells like it. we went for two nights and could not stay the second. we like basic hotels and are not picky but you will not like this hotel unless you are into stinky, filthy, rooms.
also are friend came with us. they couldn't stay either night. the smell in their room smell like someone died in it and was making them sick. they were unable to get their money back.
the rooms have not been updated for 30 or 40 years.
its cheap and you get what you pay for

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jutin n
Harstad, Troms, Norway
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here two nights, it is basicly a motel style place, the rooms were very basic but had the needed necessitities. Breakfirst was basic and could be improved, internet was free and generaly of good speed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Westminster, Colorado
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My family owned the Western Lodge from 1967 to 1976. We took so much pride in the lodge and now it is a run down pit. My wife and I wanted to enjoy a trip back in time this summer and were turned away by a sketchy owner and a freighting room. The rooms had the same furnishings as when my folks sold it, the exterior was run down and as disgusting as the interior of the rooms.
Thank goodness it was not reserved and money not exchanged. We stayed elsewhere. So sad to see a fond part of my life turned into a trash heap. Stay at your own risk, and my apologies to those that enjoyed our hospitality in the distant past.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Michael G
Warrensburg, Missouri
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My friend and I wanted a room and asked for a single bed (it's cheaper at most places). The owner refused to give us a room because "he doesn't do that" for people of the same sex. I have never been refused service at any establishment in any state.

I was only in the lobby, but I can still make the following comments.
1. The hotel smelled horrible. It smelled like a cross between cat pee and mothballs.
2. Everything about that place is old, outdated, smelly, and not at all conducive for an enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel. Never. There are much better and nicely priced hotels in Steamboat Spring...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends