“Selfless Service appreciated” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Victorian
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Selfless Service appreciated”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Everything was great about this B and B as a single traveler, It was nice to find healthy mix of alone time and comfortable social interaction, with plenty of tasty nibbles, drinks and teas, the type you love to cheat on your diet (after all I'm on vacation) .
The staff, mainly Jane was always convivial and attentive to whatever needs came up in conversation,
What blew me away, was when on a beautiful summer evening I asked Jane if I could sit on her personal porch to watch the sunset over the sleeping giant mountain range, and she kindly obliged.
As I was making my way there and she was pointing out the range, a motor cycle drove up the driveway, with a couple riding double.
As she went away I did some meditation and relaxed taking in the incredible view, unaware that she had some guests for a little sunset get together which would have been much better where I was left unbothered.
Realizing my unconsciousness as I came back toward the back porch, and heard the party, I got up some nerve to let her know that I vacated the best seat in the house, they were very cool inviting me into the conversation and not making me feel at all that I had put them out. It might be safe to say that there really weren't any bad seats in the house. There are lots of little nooks where I found myself able to quietly read or take in the beautiful views, well suited for couples, and the single traveler as well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Oak Park, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I really can't say enough about how much I love this place. I'm not usually a bed & breakfast person because it feels like staying with grandma, but my mind has changed. I love Victorian houses (and this one with its beauty and interesting history did not disappoint), but thought it might be musty, crusty and rusty to stay in. I was soooo wrong. All the elegance and detail of a historical house was there, but where you need updates (bathrooms, beds, closets) it was all brand-new, modeled with modern fixtures in an antique style to blend in. The toiletries smelled so good and there were thoughtful touches such as cotton swabs, fluffy towels and even lip balm.

Besides being beautiful and the cleanest place I ever ever seen, it also had so much to do. There was a jacuzzi, movie room, pool table, an alcove with a Wii, and of course an excellent location for hiking and Steamboat activities. This would be a perfect place for a small family reunion or wedding party to just hang out and enjoy each other's company. Michelle and Jane (who run the place) are so helpful and delightful (yet not intrusive), I could trust them to help with pulling things together on their end.

I really wish my sister and I had stayed more than one night. Another night of wine and appetizers (included!) on the patio on the hill overlooking Steamboat would have suited me. Or, maybe I just want another amazing breakfast? I'll eat another homemade cookie and sweet roll they gave us and dream more about it.

Room Tip: All the rooms were nice, but there is a big difference on size so think about what you are looking f...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank EriOw
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We love to stay in B&B's and this one is truly a gem! We went there for a 4-day weekend and were treated like Royalty by Jane and Michelle. We stayed in the Valley View room -- well really a suite with separate bathroom (check out that tub!) and walk-in closet -- which is stunning. But the other bedrooms look great as well. This well-maintained victorian-style house is well situated and affords excellent views. We thoroughly enjoyed Jane's gourmet breakfast and the late-afternoon wine plus light appetizers. We highly recommend staying there!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Larkspur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

We found this B&B by stoping in at the local vistor center. What a fantastic find. In all of our trips, all 50 states and over 8 countries world wide this was one of the top three. Very well restored old victorian with fantastic views. The happy hour was great but the breakfast was beyond great, it was right up there with the best chefs, Jane was great as was Michelle.

Room Tip: It does not have a swimming pool but it does have a hot tub with an excellent view. Also be sure to...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank emcguru
Columbia, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Great stay at this Bed and Breakfast. The property is beautiful, the views are spectacular and Jane is an amazing host. It was the first time that I have stayed here, but it will certainly not be the last.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christopher S
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Oh my gosh this B&B is AMAZING!!!! Michelle is fantastic & Jane is the best cook ever!! Wish I could take her home w/me :) Her gourmet breakfast is outrageously good & she's just a sweetie!! I love this place!! We will definitely be back & I can't wait!! It is CLEAN, maintained, gorgeous views, activities like pool & movie theatre + gorgeous views!! Just wonderful, you won't be disappointed!! Stay here you'll love it!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family