“This is a "must do" in Steamboat Springs!”

Steamboat Springs Alpine Slide
More attraction details
Owner description: The Alpine Slide is temporarily closed..... there was a mud slide on the upper part of Howelsen Hill which shifted the lift towers. Until the towers are reattached to the bedrock, it is unsafe to operate the lift. The City is working on fixing the lift - as soon as it is safe to ride, we will re-open. Unfortunately, we do not have a set date as to when that will happen.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I felt pretty safe riding this slide with my hubby and 14 year old...the chair lift up was gorgeous, mountains, greenery, sunshine and wildflowers, even a little chipmunk underneath! There was ample staffing and they all seemed to be paying adequate attention. When we got to the top there are printed instructions as well as a girl going over them right before we went down...every time she said "go when you are ready"...so to the reviewer who complained he couldn't go fast enough as there was someone in his way- just wait next time, let them know you want to go faster....honestly I don't get that anyway as it is fun going a little slower and making the ride last longer, though if you are racing, I get it, however don't be surprised if you got hurt. Also we found tickets for just $9.00, and went twice, it was soooo fun!
To the reviewer whose family did get hurt terribly, I am so sorry that happened! I noticed in the management response that they did a lot of work on the slide in 2013-2014, I wonder if your misfortune was the catalyst for that...! Anyway, for me and my fam it was a ton of fun!!!

1  Thank 3hawkfans

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I'm sure that everyone willing to ride any type of alpine slide is aware of the dangers, but please be advised that THIS slide is extremely dangerous. Because of the snow cover in the winter, large cracks develop in the concrete connections on the slide. Our cart's wheel got stuck in one of those cracks and flipped my husband and toddler on to the track. Because they were in motion, they continued in motion - and the concrete literally shaved off the top of my husband's ear, the skin on my little girls' arm, hand and forehead. It took nearly 3 months to heal and was treated as a severe burn because the damage was so deep to her skin. My husbands ear was glued back together, because the piece was still hanging. Besides the injury, the slide operator at the top wasn't paying attention and continued to send additional riders down the slide. My husband had to grab the cart and the baby and jump off or there would have been further injury with a collision. We ended up in the ER with Dr Dave (who is the BEST ER doc in town). The slide operators took absolutely no responsibility whatsoever - explaining to us that because we had signed the waiver, they didn't care. I really didn't want any compensation, but I wanted to make them aware of why we had the accident. I was told by ER nurses that they see as many as 10 injuries a WEEK (yes, you read that right) from this alpine slide. PLEASE think twice before you use this slide - there are many more activities to do around steamboat than this poorly maintained ride.

12  Thank 1moreinthebucket
Winnie D, Guest Relations Manager at Steamboat Springs Alpine Slide, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

We are always concerned when any use of the Alpine Slide results in injury, and we regret that you did not have the experience you were hoping for when riding the alpine slide. Safety is of paramount concern to us, and we undertake significant effort and expense to properly inspect, repair and maintain the alpine slide, as well as provide our staff with appropriate safety and customer relations training. This is our 14th season of operations and we have a strong record and focus on safety, given the inherent risks associated with participating in this activity. In both 2013 and 2014, we made significant improvements to the slide track, including the replacement of most sections of the track. We are routinely inspected by a third party who certifies that our alpine slide is inspected in an operable state and meets the standards and requirements of 7 Colorado Code of Regulations 1101-12. Thousands of people ride the alpine slide every year and have a safe and enjoyable time doing it. However, as we instruct all users, the alpine slide is a user-controlled ride. The operator of the sled controls how fast or slow they choose to go. Unfortunately, despite our rules and our safety instructions a small percentage of people do sustain injuries while riding. We are glad to hear that the injuries referenced have healed.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

If you aren't sure about riding the slide, then pay the small fee and ride the chair lift up and back. The view from the top of the hill is pretty neat, as you can see the whole town from a different vantage point. The slide itself is a lot of fun, and my kids (3 & 6) loved it and asked to ride it more than once. We enjoyed the slide, and it will always be part of our visits to Steamboat. Just be careful and don't do anything crazy on the way down!

3  Thank KansasByColorado
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I love the Howler alpine slide!! I love the chairlift and love blasting down the mountainside. It's a hoot! You can go slow or fast, whatever you're comfortable with and little kids can ride with their parents. Look for coupons in the local coupon books wherever you find tourist info. There are bathrooms near the horse stables and also at the ski jump area. Sometimes in the summer there's a sno-cone booth set up nearby.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Visited The Howler alpine slide at Howelson Hill in Steamboat Springs with my 8 year old daughter. We debated whether to head up to Breckenridge or to go to Steamboat and decided to go from Estes Park, through Rocky Mountain National Forest, over Trail Ridge Road, and then to Steamboat....it just seemed like a more interesting trip than driving up I70 to the usual tourist resort towns (I grew up in Colorado but live far away now). The drive and the Howler didn't disappoint -- we had a great time. We used the Steamboat Springs activity ticketing on-line and just went to a will-call window when we got there to pick up our various tickets (the alpine slide, the Coca-Cola Activity Zone, the brunch on the mountain, a rodeo, etc.). It was so super easy to order and get the tickets (right at the base of the Steamboat Springs/Mt Werner gondola -- there are several gondolas, but this is the main one). The people were incredibly friendly and helpful, gave me directions to the alpine slide (and all the other things were going to do), had recommendations for us....it just worked out so incredibly well. This town really has its tourist activities put together very nicely. In terms of the slide, one piece of advice: if you buy your ticket package on line (we bought a 3-pack "ride & slide"), once you park your car at the Howler area, there is a round "yurt" building that you need to go to BEFORE you get in line for the slide. You need to exchange your vouchers for actual tickets that you can only get once you get to the Howler slide and visit the yurt people. THEN go get in line (it moves pretty fast - may a 10 minute wait when it's really busy but often we were able to almost just walk right on). They position you (2 at a time) for the chairlift (just like skiing), the chair comes up behind you, you sit down, pull the bar over and enjoy a few minutes of beautiful scenery and silence with your chair partner. When you get to the top, you remove the bar by pushing it up over your head, step onto the platform and move quickly to the side, pick out a slide (they are all the same, just grab one), and drag it to the launching area. Then you lift the slide into a concrete "alley" and then sit on top of it (a little awkward - I wouldn't wear a skirt, ladies). I am 6 feet tall and well over 200 lbs and I fit on it just fine. My 8 yr old was also just fine by herself. There is a brake in the middle of the sled and you have to push it forward to go, and pull back to stop. Very simple. The first time out, slow down a little before the big turns (which are banked) and you'll be just fine. The workers also stage the launches so that you don't have someone coming down immediately behind you. and if you are nervous just tell them you plan to go slow and they'll hold up the next person even more so you have plenty of time coming down and feel comfortable. It was a lot of fun -- we had a great mother/daughter day there. Oh! and there is a riding stable about 100 yards away, so you can do both a ride & slide as well as a horseback riding adventure if you are so inclined. Very convenient (no parking fees either). Have fun!

1  Thank mommylonglegs