“Hilltop/Legacy”

Washington, DC
“Hilltop/Legacy”
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Celebrity - Hilltop/Legacy Resorts

I stayed here from Mar 4th-11th. First let me say this was my first time to SB and the skiing was AWSOME!

Now, for the resort. The resort is nice but could have been better. First, you’re greeted by 2 sets of stairs upon arrival. Imagine that with ski luggage. And no access for the luggage carts to leave the building. Check in was good, front desk personnel are very friendly; no matter who it is. it's difficult to move throughout the building because it takes a 90 degree turn to get to anywhere and it's in a small radius (kinda like driving a trailer in a labyrinth). This place is a timeshare that rents units as well. Our initial unit was small, real small. You walk in and you’re immediately greeted by stairs to the upper level. This didn’t work for me. I requested a change and they did no fuss – no muss.
I was switched to an accessible room on the 1st floor. There are benefits to this. The Mstr/bedroom was huge but you sacrifice a closet. The living room area was nice but again, no closet. The furniture was kinda worn and is not made for long periods of sitting or lying around. The kitchen facilities were nice but for this unit (accessible) everything was lower than usual; I got used to it by the end of the week. The TV channel choices were not that great and neither was the reception. Not one movie channel!
But overall this unit was really nice compared to my first one. I was happy with the cleanliness of the room and it had plenty of hot water.

The amenities include a pool (5ft) and 2 hut tubs. An exercise room (2- treadmills and a workout station). There are no eating or drinking facilities in the building, none, zero, zilch! There used to be one (and you can see it) but it was shut down. There’s also a game room on the lower level but most groups used it as a meeting place for parties. Since you may have a stove, microwave and fridge your best bet is to do some shopping. There is plenty of shopping near by; you can walk if you choose but good luck on getting back up that hill. They have an awesome shuttle service that operates from 8am-10am and again from 230pm-5pm to the Mtn only. Between and after those times they will take you ANYWHERE you wish to go.

Since I mentioned it, the resort sits high atop a hill with excellent views of the mountain and the town. It’s a slightly worn building and could use some TLC to bring it into the 21st century. Don’t get me wrong, I imagine in its day, it was… king of the hill (and you didn’t see that coming) but it’s still a nice place minus the upgrades. It’s about a 10min ride to the Mtn and maybe 10mins to town. If you’re looking for night life or being steps away from the Mtn; this is not the place.
I don’t know why they changed the name to Legacy but I can only imagine and hope some upgrades come with it.

Overall, this is just an average place to stay. Nothing really stood out. I was pleased with my stay and the shuttles; fortunately for me I was on a TS exchange and only paid the exchange fee. If I had to pay to stay, I’d probably choose this as choice #3.

Enjoy SB.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank AJazzMaster
Andy H, Manager at Legacy Vacation Resorts-Steamboat Hilltop, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Thank you for your comments and observations. While you will encounter several steps as you enter our front door, it is because we are built on a hill in Steamboat Springs, we you might expect of a ski area.

Since your visit we have installed several elevators, completed a $1M renovation, installed stainless steel appliances in every unit and WiFi throughout our resort. We have also added a library, flat screen TV's and expanded our game room.

Finally, we've taken your advice, and upgraded our ski shuttle service with several large custom ski shuttle busses which we plan to run continuously for all of our guests starting in November 2012. These ski shuttle busses are equipped with exterior ski racks, perimeter seating to make it easier to access and 2-way radio service for our drivers to respond to any guest transportation requests. This service remains complimentary for all of our guests to all ski areas and are attractions and restaurants

Our staff continues to receive great reviews and everyone is committed to enuring we exceed your expectations. Hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)