“City Slickers Having Fun!!”

Steamboat Springs Pro Rodeo
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Never been to a rodeo, we're city slickers. Price was right, and the action was great. The MC lets you know what's happening and there's plenty of seating to be had.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Took our family of 5 to the second to last rodeo of the season. It is very easy to find right in downtown Steamboat. We did not know how the food would be so we ate before we went, but that was a mistake. The ribs and chicken looked amazing and we wished we had eaten there. The announcer was very entertaining and the evening was very fun. It was a bit heavy on the advertising at the beginning, but they have to make a living somehow. A must see in Steamboat.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were pleasantly surprised! The grounds are small and so is the grandstand, but this has got to be the best small rodeo we have ever been to! They even had kids competing in bronc riding and barrel racing! We will go next year for sure!

1  Thank Lschia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was my first rodeo, so I did not know what to expect. The grounds are very well kept and employees very welcoming. It was an entertaining evening. Rodeos are Friday and Saturday night through the summer at 7:30 pm. A band plays at 6 pm. We did not eat, but the ribs, etc. looked great! $2 off discount tickets ($18 adult) are available at FM Light & Sons on the main road, Lincoln Ave/Hwy 40. Cash or check only.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We bought tickets through the Steamboat Springs activity website for the PRCA rodeo in June. The rodeo is located in the immediate vicinity of The Howler Alpine Slide and horseback riding stables, so there is plenty to do for a day of fun activities. But back to the rodeo... I have been to many rodeos but this was the first time I brought my city-raised 8 yr old daughter. When I exchanged my vouchers for tickets at the "will call window," I asked if they were doing a "calf scramble" or other activities that an 8 yr old could participate in. They told me yes, they were doing both the calf scramble as well as a ram scramble, and to just listen to the loudspeaker and the announcer would give details during the performance. Ok, easy enough. The performance was set for 7:30 pm and somewhere along our travels, a parking valet mentioned that they have a really good BBQ on-site at the rodeo grounds prior to the performance. Since we had no dinner plans, we decided to do that also (not included in the rodeo performance ticket price - it is separate). We got there about 6:20 p.m. or so, got the tickets at "will call" and made our way to the food shack next to the arena. There were pork ribs, beef ribs, chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs and corn dogs. You could order just those items or you could make it a "platter" with a soda, potato salad, watermelon, baked beans and a roll. We opted for the pork rib platters and they might have been the best ribs I've ever eaten! Tasted like they had a dry rub AND a wet rub on them. Once you ordered, you took your plate to a guy running a huge grill and he mopped some sauce on them and put them on your plate with the other items. The helping was enormous - I am a big eater and could not finish it all. There was a small band shell with a local country band playing and picnic tables to share a communal dinner with other diners. Once done, we walked over and asked one of the people working at the rodeo which gate the kids would go to for the calf scramble and he was more than happy to point it out and how to get there. Then we picked our seats and made sure my daughter could find her way from the seats to the gate and back again (no parents allowed at the gate). Then the rodeo started -- bull riding, saddle bronc, etc. A kid about 11 or 12 yrs old came by selling "discs" with numbers on the back -- $5 for one or $20 for five. In the middle of the rodeo, the announcer asked that kids 6-12 go to the gate for the calf scramble and everyone else with discs to line up near the arena fence. So my daughter went off to the gate and I took the discs and went to the front of the grandstand. They put tarps out in the middle of the arena (red, blue and white) with a small washtub at the center of the white one. Then the announcer told us to throw our discs and try to hit one of the tarps or get it into the washtub for a prize. Out of the hundreds of discs flying, only 3 made it onto the tarps (not easy!) and one of them was mine! They announced the winners and after the calf scramble (which came right after the disc throw), they told us that we could pick out our prize at the bandshell. There were probably a dozen or so prizes to choose from for each color tarp hit ($25 gift certificates to local eateries, etc.). There was one for a "ride in the Dodge Ram pick-up to set up the barrels" at the end of the evening, so I selected that one for my 8 yr old. She rode into the arena in the back of the pickup truck and got to wave to the audience....very memorable and unique. The people were incredibly friendly and helpful and the whole event is family oriented. There was calf roping and steer roping, which I realize some folks will have an issue with, and they may want to not attend if they feel strongly about this. But for us, it was fine and reflective of the history and culture of this part of the world. When we walked around the stock pens at the end of the night, it was clear that the animals were all well taken care of, fed, watered, had no marks on them, etc. Overall, it was a fun and unique evening.

3  Thank mommylonglegs