“Nice on-slope location; could use updating”
Review of The Ptarmigan Inn

The Ptarmigan Inn
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The Ptarmigan Inn, or P-tarm in the local vernacular, is in a wonderful location on the slopes of Steamboat. It's a very short ski down to the gondola, and you can ski right back to the door at the end of the day. The hotel itself is fine, but the furnishing are rather dated; tube tvs and vhs videoplayers in the rooms, for example. The free wifi service was reasonably quick at 2 to 4 MB per second, but it seemed like they rebooted the server on a fairly regular basis, briefly interrupting the internet connection every hour or so.
The restaurant in the hotel (sorry, can't remember the name) was nothing special, but not offensive.
The hot tub and swimming pool were more than adequate; unfortunately, they are not on the slope side of the building, so you can't relax in the hot tub at the end of the day and watch all the tired skiers on their last runs.
One downside of the location: The ski school for small children is located just outside the hotel, and when we were there they groomed the snow in that area every morning between 4 and 6 am. If you are a light sleeper in a slope-side room, the noise of the equipment is likely to wake you.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Seniomsed
There are newer reviews for The Ptarmigan Inn

Reviewed 16 March 2012

This inn and hotel has been in business for a long time. Its slopeside, a short slide to the gondola. I dont like big , corporate style hotels in ski areas . Reminds me of Manhattan . The Ptarmigan is small, confortable and very friendly. Buffet breakfast is great, lunch and dinner are also available and good. The bar is a hangout for the " Over the hill gang " and other locals. There is a pool, hot tub and ski shop on premise. Hanging out in the lobby at night was fun but we got a bit loud and were quieted down a few times because there are rooms facing the lobby. Just a bunch of "adults " out of control. There's been talk of tearing it down for a big modern hotel so who knows how long it will exist.

Room Tip: The hotel is built in levels corresponding to the slope of the hill. If you have a room facing the h...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank RichieG29
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Amazing value. True ski in, ski out. Walk to fine dining, coffee shops, bars.. On-site restaurant is friendly, convenient, and fast. Great ski valet service. Ski right down to gondola in morning, ski right back to your door in the afternoon and hand your skis off. Decorating is dated. Will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2012

If hotels received rewards for being mediocre, the Ptarmigan Inn would win. Other than nice lobby staff and a few nice waitresses at the Snowbird Inn, The Ptarmigan Inn reeked of average-averageness (you see, I can even make up a word about how mediocre this place was). I came here on a trip with my husband – as part of his company’s retreat – and my two young girls (ages 17 months and 3.5 years) thinking that Steamboat Springs would have something to offer me and the kiddos while the hubby was on the business portion of his trip. WRONG. If you can’t go skiing, this place is NOT for you. The only thing going for the Ptarmigan Inn is the fact this it is LITERALLY right next to the gondola ski lifts. I could walk out of my room and walk a few hundred feet to the lifts. It’s great if you are as skier (which, if I didn’t have two tiny kiddos with me I might have considered). The lobby is sparse, with no activities or other amenities (two old computers to use and a fireplace). The rooms are old – the entire hotel reminded me of the movie “Time Machine Hot Tub” only not as nice. Everything reeked of the 70s or early 80s – old curtains, old comforter, old chairs, old tables and drawers, old carpet. Although I wasn’t surprised by the décor, I was surprised at the lack of things to do (not the hotel’s fault, just a side note).
Some people keep going on and on about the breakfast at the Snowbird Inn (The Ptarmigan Inn’s little restaurant). I was NOT impressed: We had breakfast at the Snowbird Restaurant for four days and they do offer a full menu and a buffet. I was really overwhelmed with the prices they charge for their breakfast items. The buffet at over $10 a person for eggs is insane. I NEVER go back for seconds and nothing on the menu was appealing to me. Since I was stuck at the hotel for breakfast with two kiddos, I didn’t really have a choice. I asked if I could offer my kids some eggs off of my plate and the waitress said she would just charge us the “kids’” price for their portions. SO, I paid about $8.00 (two kiddos) for a Tablespoon of eggs and a pancake. Also a small cup of milk for my 17 month old set me back another $3.99. I would expect to pay that if I was staying at a resort hotel, but the Ptarmigan Inn is just an old (at least 40 years old), un-renovated hotel. I also had dinner at the Snowbird Restaurant one night at it was just as ordinary as breakfast. We ordered mac ‘n cheese for the kiddos (is it LITERALLY out of the kraft blue box), I had a plain Caesar’s Salad (meh) and my hubby had a hamburger. I will note that their French fries were fantastic. I wouldn’t go back here to eat given the choice. Average bill at breakfast for two adults and two kids: $35.00 (for EGGS and pancakes!!).
The tub in our hotel room had a difficult time plugging up and I needed to give my kiddos a bath – it was a big of a challenge. I HATE having to shower them because they want to play in the tub and the shower doesn’t cut it, very annoying. Also, the pillows in our room were really uncomfortable (as were the beds) and our room didn’t have a microwave (I knew this ahead of time) so I brought my own from home so I could heat up my kid’s milk.
Overall, if you are a skier or a snowboarder and are just looking for a place to crash, this is the place for you. If you are here with small kids and want to get away, I would find another place with a few more amenities and newer facilities (ladies, your men will not find as many faults in this hotel as I did). From what I hear, you can’t book this hotel more than 6 months in advance because every year they are “planning an upgrade” and every year they postpone it.

Room Tip: Stay on the second level if you are a skier and you can get right up on the lifts without climbing t...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank vass78
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Location just can't be beat and great service. Every patron seemed to be having a great time, but I thought I was caught in the 70's. There hasn't been an update to a single piece of furniture in at least 30 years. But at least they keep everything as clean and you are right on the slopes. I would definitely come here again with buddies or my young son. My wife however will never set foot in this place. I would give it 3.5 stars, but don't know how to give a 1/2 star.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor are only accessible via a very slow elevator. However, if you are in room 12...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2012

This place is not fancy by any means but is right on the mountain, has a wonderful staff and a great little bar/restaurant. The chili is amazing!

Room Tip: Room on the north side face the gondola and mountain. The ski school is right outside the hotel and...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank wombat44
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Ski in-ski out, right on the slopes. This place was a great value. Not too expensive, but wasn't a five star hotel. The people working the front desk were extremely nice and helpful. The rooms weren't luxurious, but they were comfortable. Heated Hot tub/pool was a great bonus!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple