“The Hotel was Good but Rexs Resturant was less than favorable”

Holiday Inn Steamboat Springs
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“The Hotel was Good but Rexs Resturant was less than favorable”
Reviewed 24 February 2010

The personnel at the Hotel itself were awesome but the staff at Rexs which is the resturant at this Holiday Inn had the rudest most ignorant staff I have ever seen. The bartender was great but the waiters and waitresses were horrible. I would reccomend the hotel and possibly having a drink at the bar but I would not reccomend dining in the resturant itself. There are better places to eat in the downtown area which isn't very far from the Inn.

Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
SteamboatHolidayInn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Steamboat Springs, responded to this review, 4 March 2010
We appreciate that you took your time to send us comments about your experience. We will discuss your comments with the restaurant. It is dissappointing when any of our departments fall short of our guests expectations. If you care to share the detail of your experience, I am always available to listen. Thank you for your kinds words about the hotel staff. Everyone will be proud to share your words. We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Our stay was terrific in all aspects. The rooms had been recently renovated and decent bathrooms, comfortable beds, and a flat screen TV, and most importantly quiet. The restaurant attached, Rex was hopping with apres ski and a dinner crowd. The fish tacos were tasty and everyone enjoyed the food and service. Service throughout the hotel was terrific for the price point and they offered a convenient shuttle to the ski hill every 15 minutes. Great value and comfortable

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Lone Tree, Colorado
Reviewed 4 February 2010

Normally when we have stayed at Holiday Inns around the country we don't expect much from the associated restaurant. So what a wonderful surprise at Rex's ( the restaurant attached to the Steamboat HI). These folks really know about good food and personal service. We ate breakfast there every day and dinner three times during the week we were skiing at Steamboat. We each ordered different dishes at each meal and every one was a winner. I really liked the elk sausage and steel cut oatmeal ( just like I make at home).
Don't miss this place when you're in Steamboat.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AJSDenver
st louis
Reviewed 22 January 2010

We just returned from a 4 night stay Jan 15 thru 19.. Staff was very friendly & helpful. Room was very clean and quiet. Bed very comfy. Rex's needs some improvement.. food was so so, service was non existent in the dining room a little better if you sat at the bar.
Had 4 meals there as we were to tired to go into town.... but had some great meals at other restaurants in area.....

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Louisiana
Reviewed 14 January 2010

Spent three weeks at The Holiday Inn in Steam Boat Springs The Motel was fine the staff was very helpful and polite. The Staff at Rexs however was a diffrent story . Their staff was rude , service was horrible . I will never eat at Rexs Again. The Motel I would reccomend to anyone but I would advise them from dining at Rexs. I would in no way reccomend Rexs to anyone.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
UK, Midlands
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Where to start...... this hotel offers great value for money. The free breakfasts offer great choice and ample servings (just what you need for a full day on the slopes). Rooms are of a good size, warm and clean. The staff are fantastic - very helpful and accommodating with a true 'personal service'. We had personal shuttles to and from the slopes and since we were staying out of peak season, we were even dropped off at a near by restaurant and picked up again (above and beyond). The bar connected to the hotel is far enough away not to interrupt much needed sleep and offers great food and service (we opted to eat there most eve's).

Yes, there is construction - but this did not inconvenience us at all. We had a few problems phoning home from the room, but the staff were so helpful in rectifying this we could not hold this against them (offered us their mobile phone!!). For those of you in the UK that are put off by the 'Holiday Inn' title - don’t be - this hotel is far better than the typical non-personalised hotel chain that we are used to!

We love this place so much that we will go back next year.

To the staff at Holiday Inn: Thank you for a great stay and for making us feel so welcome on our first trip to the USA.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 December 2009

The Holiday Inn Steamboat Springs is a very friendly, clean and inviting property. Microwave and fridge in each room which makes for a comfortable stay. A new elevator has recently been installed at the very, very far end of the building which is helpful for physically challenged guests, but I would ask for a ground floor room instead.
After struggling to find this far away new elevator with my two bags, I got to the 2nd floor, walked all the way back towards the lobby and realized my assigned room was right next to the lobby at the top of the stairs I had passed in the beginning of my elevator quest, sigh....
I wish the front desk had told me that my room was right at the top of ten stairs when I asked for directions to my room and the far away elevator. I would have taken the nearby stairs if given the choice.
The HVAC heating & air con room units are indeed very noisy, but efficient. I had to turn it off to sleep, and woke early to jump up and turn on the heat, before diving under the bed covers to wait for the room to warm up.
I awoke to a surprisingly beautiful view of the mountain and ski lifts, the heated snow covered pool, and the unfinished new hotel wing under construction.
I never saw a free breakfast or indoor pool, nor was I informed of either amenity by the staff, as I read in another review about a free breakfast and indoor pool, so the last reviewer might have been reviewing the nearby Hampton Inn, which has both. I am looking at the Holiday Inn Steamboat Springs website and see nothing about an indoor pool or free breakfast.

The Holiday Inn heated swimming pool is outdoors, covered in snow and locked off while I was there. Probably because of the major construction of the new wing around the pool.
FYI, The hotel is going through a major renovation of the entire property, so beware of continued noise this spring when construction resumes.
The hotel location is near downtown shopping and dining via a car or the free bus service out front of the hotel. Might be a nice, long walk during warmer weather, but not in the snow and ice.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business