“23 hours in Paradise”

Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Devil's Thumb Ranch is an absolutely beautiful retreat! My fiancé and I packed a ton into our 23 hour stay. The location is stunning - we instantly noticed it was on the Continental Divide, which kept our attention the entire stay. The weather was beautiful so we went on a small hike around the property to get our bearings. The April snow melt produced countless waterfalls and makeshift streams which added to our relaxing stay. After our hike we ventured to Heck's for some apps and wine. We sat out on one of the picnic benches by the firepits and watched the sun go down over the snow capped peaks. The service is top notch. We made an early reservation at Ranch House Restaurant and absolutely loved our dinner. We started with the Sauteed Abalone (a rare but tasty shellfish dish), then the delicious Warm Spinach Salad, and then got entree (she got the vegan Red Quinoa Tagine, I the Halibut). Both were unbelievable. Our server, Bob, recommended we return and get the steak, as next year they will be born and bred on property!

We retired early so we would be nice and rested for our 9:00am yoga class. Although I would hardly consider myself a yogi, Devil's Thumb Ranch had a spell over me, and I've never enjoyed the "warrior pose" as much as I did when looking at the mountain vistas! We had mostly beginners in the class and it was the perfect combination of workout and deep stretching. Afterwards, we hit the pool, sauna and steam room. Such beautiful woodwork and selected masonry.

Though we had to check out soon after, we had one more task to reach our maximum relaxation level. Massage! We both booked the Hydration Massage with your choice of Shea Butter (she got Sun, I got Earth). We got there a little early, so we ordered smoothies and headed up to the upstairs to a cozy wood paneled room and waited by the fire in our robes. It gave us another chance to appreciate the fine wood work, masonry, antique furniture/rugs placed throughout the property. But most importantly, it helped us to leave the weekly grind behind and catch back up and laugh with each other.

This go round, we took the relaxing route. Next time, we will take advantage of the summer or winter activities that were offered. We will definitely be returning this summer!

Evan Casey

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We had our wedding here and overall the place was great. I will avoid writing a wedding review and just keep it to the hotel itself. The rooms are beautiful with some great views of the divide. We had a balcony, and while it was cold, we made sure we spent some time out there. Our guests were equally happy with their accommodations. I saw a few of the other rooms, and they all seemed to have their own personality. The restaurants were decent to great. I wasn't so excited about breakfast offerings, but dinner was pretty solid. Dinner was great in the more formal restaurant just up the hill. That was one of our best meals of the weekend. We would go back to visit again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with mountain views. "Meadow view" is really just the parking lot...
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I love going to Devil's Thumb! we've been there three times now, and it's still a hit with my child. The trails are fabulous, great instructors and great rental equipment. My only beef is that the food in the little cafe is a bit sub-par, and the food in the main restaurant is a bit pricey for what it is. Overall, though, it is a wonderful spot, and I'm coming back!

Room Tip: Get a room near the cafe, it's more convenient.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This place is amazing! Upon check in and getting to our room, we felt like we were staying in a family member's guest room. Every single detail is well planned and thought out from the decor to the outstanding views everywhere. The property is a lot of fun to explore and there is so much to do from swimming in the heated indoor pool to outdoor pool , the hot tub and it's spectacular views to the theatre and game room and spa. One of the most comfortable beds too! We really felt welcome by everyone that works there. Although we were only there for 1 night, it felt like we had gotten away for 3 days! We will definitely be back!! Next time we'll try the fire pit and roasted marshmallows and the Ranch House Restaurant.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

We have stayed here numerous times and have always been taken care of with anything we needed. We continue to visit at all times of the year. The Stone hot tub is the best along with the fireplace at Hecks. The beds are the most comfortable you will ever sleep in.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2013

My fiance and I recently stayed for a quick getaway from Denver. The property is very fun to explore and we felt like kids when the staff came outside by the fire and gave us smores kits! We had a great snow shoe hike around the property. We also really enjoyed the happy hour each night. Great deals and live music! We were also surprised to find such an amazing gift shop on property. Best amenity might just be the outdoor heated pool and hot tub which was quite the experience. This resort had it all.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Relaxing, beautiful, and refreshing. The Devils Thumb Ranch is one of the most relaxing getaways I've ever been to. Surrounded by thousands of acres and amazing views, you really feel like you've gotten away from it all.
The architecture, decoration, and construction of the lodge and all facilities is simply stunning and inspiring.
The lodge has tons of little nooks to lose your self to read a book or enjoy the views.
The Spa is beautiful and services were great.
We ate at both Heck's and The Ranch House. Food was very good.
Concierge and service in the lodge was excellent.
Our room was beautiful with a balcony and a gas fire place. The bathrooms were beautiful too.
The entire resort has a great western feel to it and is fully decorated that way.

First part of my trip was business retreat. The conference rooms and facilities were excellent.
Second part of my trip was personal with my wife. We loved it and can't wait to come back.
A very romantic resort.
But I can also see it being fun for the family, especially in the Summer. We're looking forward to bringing our kids back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabernash
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Wild Horse Inn
#2 of 3 in Fraser
The Vintage Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Twin Rivers Condominium

Been to Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!