“Highlight of our trip!”

Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa
London, United Kingdom
“Highlight of our trip!”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Devil's Thumb is one of my favourite places to stay in Colorado. I grew up in Colorado but now live in London and make a point of trying to visit this resort whenever I visit home. It is the perfect balance between 5 star luxury and Colorado relaxation. The rooms, lobby, and general decor around the facilities are stunning. There is so much to do that you'll wish you had booked to stay longer. And to top it off, I felt 100% comfortable hanging out in Hex's restaurant in my favourite heels or in my ski-gear. The staff cater for everything you could wish for without feeling pretentious. This resort is truly a Colorado hidden gem that I plan to visit whenever I'm home.

Room Tip: If you want to enjoy the facilities of the resort, stay in the lodge. If you want seclusion, book a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Fort Collins
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Definitely a first class resort.The lodge rooms are truly a wonderful experience, you won't want to leave, with down comforters and fireplaces and warmed bathroom floors for those cold mornings. The x country skiing is unbelievable, but they need to have a more flexible ski pass for their guests. To pay $20 for an hour of skiing is ridiculous. The Heck restaurant 's food is exceptional with a gorgeous setting, but beware when this place gets busy, it is a server's nightmare. The issue is one bar and a full restaurant and full bar seating equals disaster when busy. They need to have another bar or one upstairs for when this place gets packed. The hosts were pretty useless. Also beware of the coffee shop, check your drinks, they forgot to put chocolate in our hot chocolates 4 times.

Room Tip: Get a room not by hallway that goes to the game room if you want more quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Our children invited us to spend our 50th wedding anniversary at the Devil's Thumb Ranch. We have a place in the Winter Park area but to spend our anniversary in luxury was a real treat. There were 15 of us for dinner that night and Devil's Thumb went all out to make it an extra special dining experience and a very special weekend. We love this place... In the winter it is the best Xcountry skiing in Colorado and in the summer it is full of fun and mountain activities.

Room Tip: Room with a mountain view if possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Had a great long weekend at DTR. The place is really just a slice of heaven. Everything is perfect from the food to the service and the views. We cross country skied, spent time in the jacuzzi, sat by the fire, and even played a little pool. Fantastic!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at DTR two weeks ago and highly recommend this place! It's a beautiful resort outside of Fraser that is great for a weekend away.

The wine and cheese hour was a pleasant surprise at check-in and there are also great hh specials. There are two restaurants with a third place being constructed. Make sure to grab a Irish coffee or another spiked warm drink before taking advantage of the Xc-skiing.

The ski-shop is also top notch, I didn't bring the right jacket so I was glad they had a good selection of Patagonia and marmot to choose from and the staff was very knowledgeable.

*There is practically no AT&T/t-mobile service on the resort so you will need to rely on wi-fi during your stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My fiancé and I got to spend a couple of days here while visiting family for the Thanksgiving holiday. Being from California and now living in NY, it was exactly what I needed! This resort was just beautiful beyond words. The location views were like a dream, and the fresh snow on the mountains made everything so much cozier inside. The room was lovely and made me feel like I was in my very own little exotic cabin. (Restroom was beautiful!)

The breakfast down at Heck's was delicious - I had the French toast and my fiancé had a to-die-for Mexican scramble. I would recommend both. (YUM)

Another thing I'd recommend is taking advantage of the cross country skiing the resort offers. A great exercise and really fun when you get to go down those small hills. Perfect family activity, and if you don't have the right gear you can always purchase whatever you need down at the ski store. They have a great selection of coats, sweaters, gloves, etc.

There is also an amazing cafe across from the ski rental store. I had a really good breakfast bagel sandwich and ordered some pastries to go on my last morning. Planned on eating them on my flight but they were too good to resist - that strawberry cream puff was amazing!

Miss this place already and can't wait to visit again! :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed 2 December 2013

DTR has long been a special treat for our family, but for the past few years we've made a point to visit in their "off-season" before holiday madness begins. We spent the kids' Thanksgiving break here this year and I'm committing to doing it every year now. They had special activities planned, live music, s'mores on the patio - it sure didn't feel like off-season to me, and it was so nice to just chill. We've stayed in cabins and lodge before but this year got to try their brand new lodge. It's a short walk from the main one, but the views more than make up for it! All the rooms had their own porch with rocking chairs that looked out across the property up to the Continental Divide. It felt like we had our own private mountain home. With a housekeeper! Fluffy bed, fireplace, and that awesome silence that comes with snow falling outside the window. Can't recommend it enough. The resort is growing, but it seems like thoughtful expansion.

Room Tip: Ask about their new "High Lonesome Lodge." Brand new rooms and the best views of the surro...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabernash
Gateway Inn
The Vintage Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Trailhead Inn
Trailhead Inn
#2 of 15 in Winter Park

Been to Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!