“Run like heck!”

Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Thornton
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I and my family came here to stay for a month. At first it seemed fine and reasonably situated with walking paths nearby, but things went downhill rapidly. We first stopped to look here and had to wait till the afternoon to see a room. So we took a drive to look at the Crossland Studios by the airport. The neighborhood there looked awful, so we returned, exhausted, signed the agreement, then went into our room. This was a tiny room with 2 queen-size beds for the 4 of us. Not terrible, but the furniture is cheap, the kitchen minimal. Some of the furniture was delaminating. Wifi performance was worse than dial-up. For an extra fee you can buy what is billed as "up to 2 times faster". Twice nothing is still nothing, so we passed. With luck, you can get your email to load. Don't even hope for streaming audio or video.

After a few days, a drug dealer moved in next door to us. Loud music in the middle of the night, frequent visitors (the security doors were frequently propped open). Complaints to the front desk were useless. They suggested *we* call the police. After a few days they were kicked out.

Most days would find anywhere from 2 to 5 police cars parked in the lot for various problems. At one point a substitute worker from a different hotel was working the desk and made a surprised comment after seeing how much we were paying. I looked back at our agreement and realized they had charged us the daily rate rather than the weekly rate and apparently there were even lower rates, but they wouldn't change or refund the difference. That was the last straw. We didn't feel safe there to begin with, so moved to the Extended Stay Cherry Creek facility. A phone call to Crossland customer service proved useless too. Sorry we're unhappy, can't correct the billing. Too bad, so sad.

Note that Crossland Studios are the lowest-end version of a series owned by the same corporation. The next step up is Extended Stay America, then Homestead. Turned out Extended Stay Cherry Creek was cheaper and much nicer (though I really wouldn't recommend any of them). The Crossland a few blocks away from there was a dump and they quoted a higher rate than the better furnished Extended Stay.

Bottom line, steer clear of this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank rrankeney

Reviewed 17 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel a few months ago and loved it. Was a great clean room and we couldn't ask for more. So we returned and asked for our room back we were staying for a week and I called and reserved it. When we showed up, our reservation "cancelled" its self out of their system, so after 20 minuets of going back and fourth we were given room 126, which leaked terribly and on Friday we began to complain told the manager would be in with the maintenance on Saturday which wasn't true we wanted out of our room as it continued to leak all over my boyfriend spent all weekend bailing water out of the kitchen in the room and we couldn't even get our money back because the manager wasn't there, and no one else could help us. Monday night we went to the office again, and was told the manager would be in on the following morning to open and she would help us then. We are only getting a refund for the nights we still had remaining even though this issue was put off tor three additional days and no resolve during our time there several other people came in on Monday evening and could not get an attendant one man banged on the door for 30 min because his room key no longer worked he finally gave up and just left. I have was very shocked how this was handled and will never go back, oh and the refund has to be sent from Corporate in check form, and we paid cash for the room. & days we got 3 days back. They are lucky my boyfriend bailed the water or they would be replacing the kitchen floor and carpet. It's a shame and I am disappointed in how this was handled.

Room Tip: Room 133 is great unfortunately I cant say I'm pleased with either the staff or the room we were...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Charlotte R
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Charlotte - Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. The problems that you described are unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. I am disheartened to read that your reservation was cancelled by accident and that there was a communication error about the plumbing issue in your room. To prevent these types of situations from happening again, my team has implemented a more detailed communication log so that all of the staff has the same understanding and expectations of how to handle any issues that come up in a timely and efficient manor.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please feel free to contact me directly, at thr@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I had to defrost the freezer to get the refrigerator to cool, the toilet tank was leaking on the floor, the Wifi was so slow that one could not view video, the non-smoking room smelled of smoke. An article accidentally left in the room, could not be retrieved by a friend passing through the area the very next day! We were told the following day it had been trashed. In the 7 days I was there, it was not cleaned once. Cigarette butts & dog feces outside abound. The bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank janthepayne
Reviewed 7 July 2013

The room was a nice size, but it smelled like smoke even though it was a NON Smoking room!!! There was not a lot of noise for being by a busy street and highway. It was not the worst Hotel I have stayed at but it is not the best either, I thought it was a little high in price for the room, but overall it was a good stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Ashley - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We appreciate the kind comments about your stay at our hotel; however, we apologize that your room had a smoke smell. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are going to treat the rooms with a smoke eliminator prior to a guest checking in to help prevent the rooms from smelling like smoke moving forward.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please feel free to contact me directly, at thr@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

I reserved this through a third party website. No refunds are allowed for any reason. Do not stay here if you want privacy, because it does not happen. The desk clerk announces your room number so your neighbors can hear. I am very disgusted at the cleanliness of the room

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Fairylver
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The situation you described regarding the cleanliness of your room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I met with the staff, and am reviewing the importance of cleanliness with our housekeeping staff and guest privacy with the entire staff. Please know, that staff should not be sharing guest information, and we will be correcting this immediately.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I invite you to contact me, at thr@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

I can say some good things about this hotel:
1. The beds (at least mine) were very comfortable.
2. The staff is very friendly if not overly helpful.
3. The location is very convenient.
Unfortunately, that's where the good stuff ends:
1. The wifi is indeed free but is still overpriced even at free. There is a 1MB connection to be shared by all guests and it will make you feel sentimental for those days of 1200 baud dial up modems. Took 40 minutes to download a 5MB file. But you can get up at 3AM and get a decent (not good) internet speed. I complained and was told that many had complained, that they had new equipment ordered, but it had been on order for some time and they had no idea if or when it might arrive or be installed. I called the tech support line and got a VERY helpful and knowledgeable person (case 6130177). I was going to purchase the upgraded internet service but alas, THIS HOTEL doesn’t have or offer this service.
2. Smoking is excluded from all rooms on floor 1 & 2 but people smoke on the balcony and you might as well be smoking in your room. Second hand smoke is everywhere and enters the room.
3. The mini (emphasis on MINI) fridge has a freezer that is ice bound but will not make ice.
4. Half of all the water handles (kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower) turn in reverse causing instant scalding and freezing and management did not seem to care that this is a safety hazard and in violation of building code laws.
5. Toaster in the room? Not here.
6. A side benefit: you get to know exactly when your next door neighbor gets up, goes to the bathroom, flushes the toilet, etc.
7. If you have a Sprint phone, don't even bother turning it on. You are either on roaming or have a "no signal".
8. The bathroom sink will not seal closed to hold water.
9. Ditto for the kitchen sink.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DenverRandy
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Thank you for the kind comments about the comfortable bedding, our convenient location and our friendly staff. However, we apologize that the internet was not working properly and that we did not have all of the amenities you were expecting available in your room. All of our rooms come equipped with a mini-fridge, so I am sorry if it was not large enough for your needs. As well, I apologize for the smoking odor in your room and the noise disturbances you experienced during your stay. Please know, I am working with the staff to ensure all maintenance issues are handled immediately, our housekeeping staff eliminates any odors that are lingering and our WiFi connection is fixed.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at thr@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

Don,t ever stay at Crossland Economy studios in Thornton its not worth the ads on website and hell dont look like it either and when u check out they changed prices on you when u leave to keep from returning refund in about 7-14 days when you paid cash up front i had non smoking room still found poeple standing outside smoking and they charge so much do your laundry there i ended up going to laundrymat it was much cheaper and machines where better looking there was dogs barking alkinda noise arguements elevator didn't work was waiting on repair guy just so not worth it left went to sleep inn stay and feel safe never going back there in future.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ms BAJ J

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am very sorry that you were affected by people smoking outside of the hotel. We do try to ensure our non-smoking guests are not disturbed by those that smoke by providing smoking designated areas. I will work with the staff on monitoring these types of situations better moving forward. As well, I apologize for the level of cleanliness throughout our property and the billing error. We are working to improve our processes so these types of issues do not happen again.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at thr@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornton
La Quinta Inn Denver Northglenn
Super 8 Westminster Denver North
Ramada Plaza Northglenn/Denver North
Extended Stay America - Denver - Westminster
TownePlace Suites Denver West/Federal Center

Been to Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton? Share your experiences!