“Front Desk was friendly enough, but that's about it.”

Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Thornton
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I called to book three weeks at this hotel, after we sold our house. I specifically asked if the room had a full size refrigerator/freezer, since we were bringing the last of our food with us. I was told that yes, they do have full sized appliances. When my wife checked in, we found that there was only an under counter refrigerator. The room smelled like smoke, there was garbage in the stairwell, and the room itself was really dingy.

At 10pm that evening (we checked in around 8) I frantically called around to other extended stay places in the area, and everyone was booked for at least the next three days. Lucky for me, I did manage to find another hotel that was much better and for the same price.

I went to check out, stating that the room was not as described to me, and we needed to go to a different hotel. The clerk at the desk was very friendly. She told me that I would only be charged for the first night, and the rest of my reservation would be cancelled. I figured I could discuss the one night's cost with the manager the next day, since we were only in the room for about two hours (just long enough to find another hotel).

The next morning, I look at my bank account, and learn I was actually charged for the first full week, not just the first day. I called the hotel back, and was told the manager would be in at 9AM and would call back. At 10AM, I called again, and this time I was told the manager wouldn't be in until 9AM the next day. When I called corporate headquarters, I was transferred to their accounts payable department to discuss reimbursement. I had to leave a voicemail. I still haven't heard back.

This was probably the worst hotel experience of my life. Even at the discounted rate compared to other hotels, it wasn't worth it.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank austin a
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that you were given the incorrect information from our team. In response to your feedback, I am going to make sure that the reservation center is aware that we only have the small fridges in our rooms. We will also be walking the property more so that we can get the trash picked up from the common areas in a timely manner. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at thr@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

DISGUSTING. Worst hotel I have ever been in. Filthy. Broken items in the room. Dead bugs in light fixtures. Dirty stained sheets. The whole place is filthy. One lamp was broken. The dishes were dirty. Water damaged counters. Windows were dirty. Walk ways needed cleaning. Staff didn't want to be there.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Zerissa
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Drove into the parking lot on the first night of a seven night stay. Immediately saw a group of hispanic men standing around drinking beer at the tailgate of their pickup truck. Looked around and it seemed as if every vehicle was from a construction company or of someone using the place as a flophouse. The building itself seemed to be in a not-so-nice part of town right next to train tracks and a large furniture factory. The office was tiny, dirty, and had two young girls who didn't know the procedure very well. They will also charge you a $100 deposit that no one told me about. Sidewalks, stairs, outside walkways were all covered in cigarette butts and horribly dirty. The room was tiny and not cleaned well. Wireless did not work at all even after being given the password and name several times. I felt very uneasy about leaving anything of value in my car or in the room. I didn't even stay there the first night, preferring to stay with a friend an hour away. I couldn't receive a refund for that night as it was after the 24hr cancellation policy. I checked out for the remaining six nights without ever staying there and will never ever go back. The weekly rate of $41/night attracted me at first but is most definitely not worth the conditions of the hotel. Still waiting on the refund for the remainder of my stay 4 days later.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank David L
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I was disheartened to read that our hotel was not up to standard. Please accept our apologies. I met with the staff, and we will be walking the property more often to ensure that the cleanliness of the property is up to standard and this issue is not repeated. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at thr@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I had called several times to check on my reservation throughout a couple weeks prior to arrival and not 1 time was it mentioned about a deposit, so because I had 2 rooms there was a 200 deposit that I was unaware of. Reyna was the hotel clerk on duty, it's been quite some time since I've experienced someone that rude, after the 45 minutes it took her to check us in we find out were on the 3rd floor (with no elevator near the room) which wouldn't have been a problem if my diabled mother hadn't been with us. When we got into the first room there was no tv when I called the front desk the manager (Shalimar) she said it was on a work order and it would get there when the maintenance man gets around to it. In this room as well, one of the beds, the sheets and pillowcases were covered in dog hair (that's what we'd like to believe anyway). In the other room, the room was filthy, walls looked like they haven't been wiped down in months, the bathroom had yellow steam bubbles the size of half dollars. Now for the best part, the bed that I had slept in had urine stains and a blood spot from someome starting their period as the location on the bed made it very clear. When I again spoke to the manager (Shalimar) all that was said is I'll mention it to housekeeping.  I had to pay an additional fee for the extra beds in each room and both were absolutely gross! I wouldn't pay my worst enemy to stay here. If you're looking for a room on a budget I would recommend Best Inns and Suites. Least their beds are clean!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank DeadwoodDiva
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I'm not sure where to start, so I'll begin with the largest offense during this stay. Having been told by my airline that one of my travel packages may be lost, but otherwise may be delivered to my hotel, I was extremely happy to finally receive it. I was NOT happy however, that I had to stop by the office at night on my way back in from working late, to find out that it had arrived. When it had arrived, I have no idea - no phone messages, no room messages, no communication at all by the front office. When were they planning to let me know my box had arrived?

Aside from this, my room was not only tiny for an "Extended Stay," but stank of smoke and was so dated as to seem to be straight out of the 80s - cheap, old, composite furniture and all. The bathroom, while on its face seemed clean and with relatively new laminate wood flooring, had caked dust on top of the towel rack and a filthy toilet seat that I had to wipe down myself. I left a tip for the room cleaner, but only out of personal obligation and because I know the person really needs it.

I never mentioned any of this to management, because in my opinion, nothing would, or could have done. The problems here are seemingly deep and long-lived...not simply a one-time mistake. Think; major overhaul.

Now, I understand that this is not only a suburban area, in which this property seems to primarily serve as full-time residence for most occupants, but quite reasonably priced. That said, it really needs to find its grounding and decide whether it wants to solely provide long-term dwellings to the transient, or be attractive to those travelers visiting, or doing business in Denver, less than 10 miles away.

I've been to several Extended Stays and this property is wholly sub par for the brand. While I may personally stay somewhere like this while in need of inexpensive lodging, I would NEVER bring my wife and child here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Denny C
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Denny - Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I am truly sorry that you were not informed that your package had arrived by the front desk. In response, I am speaking with the staff to ensure we communicate these types of things to our guests moving forward. As well, please know, I am working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures and inspection policies. We are also striving to revamp our offerings overall for guests to better enjoy.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Please feel free to contact me directly, at thr@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here with my husband as we were displaced and looking for a new home and we were very diappointed, the room was dirty upon check there was dog hair all over the place as well as dog food on the carpet and we didnt have a dog..hmm. the ceiling was bubbling, the internet connection was a joke, we tried to check out early since we found a house and were told that we couldnt check out because we were going to owe money...who does this? charge you for a room that you didnt even stay in? be very careful when you stay here. The parking lot is very unsafe, police 24/7 because of all of the break ins. we were very diappointed and should have saved ourselves the 500 dollars that we spent for the twelve days when we only stayed 9 of these days and there was never a manager available to refund us the money that we are owed. NEVER EVER WILL I STAY HERE AGAIN OR RECOMMEND THIS PROPERTY TO ANYONE-THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY

Room Tip: dont waste your time or money by staying here
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank 1503hyna

Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. The situation you described regarding the cleanliness of your room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will be working to improve our cleaning procedures to make sure your experience is not repeated. As well, I am sorry that we were unable to refund your money, regardless of the number of nights you chose to stay at the hotel. At this time, we offer a weekly rate which must be paid ahead of time in order to get the cost savings and a daily rate which can be paid as you go. Since you were booked under the weekly rate, we were unable to refund your money. Regardless, I will be working with my staff to ensure this message is conveyed better at time of booking and will make sure we offer guests another room should this type of situation arise again in the future.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at thr@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Where to start…… Well at first we chose this place because there website showed it was a good/safe place to stay. But boy was I wrong!! Let me start by saying there front desk staff is young and inexperienced an very unprofessional!! The room that was given was TERRIBLE!! When we first opened the door to the room it reeked soo bad and the place looked dirty, I complained to the front desk and they said housekeeping would not be available to us until the 7th day which to me is ridiculous! Well as we looked further the paint was chipping from the walls in the bathroom things did not function right there was water mold on the shower head, the tiny kitchen was ok but the fridge was dirty looked like it had not been clean in a month the sheets were just out right nasty we had to go out an purchase our own sheets and blankets to put on the bed!! And the noise level in this place is crazy children running up and down hallways and music blasting an people fight an shouting that you can hear them through the walls!! So I have to say please DON’T waste your money or time in that place it not worth it they should be ashamed to have a place like that and charge the rates they do for this disgusting place!!!

Room Tip: No room is good here
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mi_Honey
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. First, I'd like to apologize that you received poor, unprofessional service from my staff. I will be meeting with our front desk staff to discuss customer service standards to ensure that your experience is not repeated. As well, I'd like to apologize that you had such severe cleanliness issues in your room. I will be meeting with my housekeeping staff to review cleanliness standards so that your experience does not happen again. Lastly, I'd like to apologize for the noise disturbances you experienced due to other guests at our hotel. I will brief my front desk staff on how to better address noise issues with guests to prevent such things from happening in the future. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at thr@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornton
La Quinta Inn Denver Northglenn
Super 8 Westminster Denver North
Ramada Plaza Northglenn/Denver North
Extended Stay America - Denver - Westminster
TownePlace Suites Denver West/Federal Center

Been to Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton? Share your experiences!