All in all, the hotel is a mixed bag. There are positives about this hotel but also negatives.
Let's start with the positives. Room was on the 24th floor with great foreground view of Jomtien beach and central Pattaya and Ko Lan in the distance. Fairly good value for money with decent size room and all amenities included (hairdryer, toiletries, fridge, very comfortable twin bed).
Another positive was the really good rooftop bar on the 38th floor. Staff were friendly enough and amazing great panoramic views. It's a nice place to have a drink, listen to music and relax. There is a decent café on the ground floor too at the front of the hotel.
First negatives was that the reception desk staff seemed confused, with a noticeable lack of organisation and lack of customer services skills (greeting guest, general friendliness and smiling would be an improvement). When we checked in at our scheduled time of 2:00pm, we noticed around fifty people sitting in the lobby waiting to be told when they could go to their room. After a little hesitation and uncertainty, we were told (without any apology) to sit and wait in the lobby (even though we had an reservation for a standard room). After sitting for 10 minutes, my partner approached the reception for an explanation (and to ask them to basically get their act together). We were told that the room we had booked was not available so they would now upgrade us to a superior room at no extra cost. Even though this was a nice bonus, all we wanted was to check-in and get taken immediately to our room, like any other hotel with decent organisation and customer service.
Another negative is the rip-off charging of Wi-Fi to use in the hotel room. For two hours it's a hefty 250 baht. It's actually cheaper going to the nearby café where Wi-Fi is free and you can have a coffee for around a hundred baht.
Finally, the staff could be friendlier and learn a few customer service skills. Very few of them spoke English. The cleaning staff were friendly though and so too were the staff in the rooftop bar. It's just a shame about many of the other staff. There were a lot of Thais and Russians staying there but not so many other nationalities, so the hotel is not really catering for Westerners so much.
Finally, the location is a little far away out from centre of Pattaya, although you can take a taxi for around 200 baht.
It's difficult to say not to try this hotel. But if the negatives are particular issues for you then better to avoid.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- D Varee Jomtien Beach, Pattaya is an elegant 4-star hotel with magnificent 38 storey located right on the beautiful beach, on the eastern shore of the Bay of Siam. This elegant hotel features 500 expansive guestrooms that are decorated with a blend of traditional and contemporary Thai themes for a luxurious yet cosy feel. Every residence is complemented by one or more spacious balconies facing the ocean, allowing you to relax in privacy, enjoying spectacular view of the beach and the bay of Siam. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Prestigia, Ebookers, Expedia, Priceline, TravelUp, Agoda, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your D Varee Jomtien Beach, Pattaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Furama Jomtien Beach Hotel Nong Prue
- Nusa Playa Hotel
- D Varee Jomtien Beach, Pattaya