“Not horrible if you really like houses with character”

Stone Mansion Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Stone Mansion Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 6 Trinidad B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I'll start with the good -- the house is huge, has tons of character, and is furnished with lots of antiques -- pretty cool. It's also just 2 blocks from Main St., so you can walk to the little shops, cafes, and museums easily.

Now the not so good -- my boyfriend and I stayed here two nights. We first noticed the overgrown trees, lack of landscaping, cardboard boxes and other trash on the porch, and the "parking lot" that we were hesitant to even drive on. The host was very friendly and talkative, but his wife seemed standoffish, at least at first. She was sitting right there on the couch when we entered and didn't even greet us.

You can definitely smell the cat urine in the main areas. We didn't have any problems with that in our actual bedroom though. There were a few things missing that we had to ask our host for, such as a second large bath towel and another roll of toilet paper. Both times, he seemed shocked that those things weren't already in the bathroom and told me that he must have forgotten to put them in there. It wasn't a huge deal.

We only had breakfast the first morning we were there. They served cheese omelets, sausage, bacon, and scones, and I didn't think it was very good. My boyfriend said he liked it though, and he's usually pickier than me, so I guess it was just personal preference.

The thing that irked me the most was that we were told right away that the security alarm would be set at night and not turned off until one hour before breakfast. The host said he would check with us to figure out our evening plans so he would know when we'd be back and when he could turn the alarm on. We had no idea what our plans were going to be, so it was a bit awkward. This ended up not being an issue because there was nothing open in town late anyway. However, it became an issue again when we decided we wanted to leave very early the day that we were heading home. We had to ask for special permission to get out early, which meant the owners had to wake up unusually early to let us out. It just kind of felt like we were trapped; I prefer to have more freedom than that, even if I don't need it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Barbiea67
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I'd like to say we stayed here for one night...but we left at 1 am and got a hotel at La Quinta down the road. We couldn't sleep because of the smell, and I knew I couldn't face breakfast in the common area in the morning. The owners will tell you they have cats in the common area, but not in the rooms .. and ask if you are allergic. But it isn't the allergies, it is the 4-5 cats on the dirty front porch with the chairs that have stuffing falling out of them, the overwhelming smell of cat urine upon entry into the common area along with the dusty stacks of papers and magazines and, while the bedroom itself was nice enough, the cats have clearly snuck in once in awhile to leave their mark.

The proprietors seemed nice enough, but should probably reconsider running a B & B. Skip it. There is one next door which is nice ... or the La Quinta down the road is standard and clean.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple