“Wonderful cozy place to stay before and after Mt. Elbert”
Review of The Twin Lakes Inn

The Twin Lakes Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Twin Lakes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We booked two nights at Twin Lakes Inn before and after our day hike up Mt. Elbert, the highest point in CO because of its close proximity to the South Elbert Trailhead. We were so pleased with their clean, cozy comfortable accommodations. From our first phone contact with staff, they were welcoming and made sure we had everything we needed for a successful day hike, including providing us take-a-long hiker's breakfasts, coffee, and hot water for tea so we could leave early in the morning. When we returned tired and happy from our hike, after a hot shower we enjoyed a fine glass of wine on their patio near the bar. We were impressed with the offerings of their restaurant and enjoyed every bite! We'll be back with all of our friends who want to hike Mt. Elbert and enjoy luxury in the wilderness at a great price!

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Leadville (or Pb as it's often abbreviated) and surrounding areas has come to exemplify simple kindnesses with exponential impact and a "pay it forward" mentality through my decade of frequent visits. The Leadville race series is a primary draw to this area, but there are a million reasons to visit Twin Lakes outside of August: quick, off the beaten path access to seminal CO 14ers (Elbert, Massive, La Plata, etc.), Independence Pass and Aspen less than an hour away, and great hiking on the CO Trail, among countless others.

People, however, make places. And Chef Matt and his outstanding team have cemented The Twin Lakes Inn in my heart. Fresh off a day that began at 1a and included a race in Aspen at 7a and a trip back over Independence to pace LT100, I found myself at Twin Lakes circa 8p, freezing and calorie deficient. The Inn had a sign clearly stating that dinner was "by reservation only" (read: not for dirty runners and crew members who had trudged over mountains and through swamps for the last 16h). Not really caring, I banged on the door, assessed the reasonably priced $28-32 entrees of NY strip steak, and informed Chef Matt that I would give him $100 for a custom-made burrito that had "simple proteins like rice and beans and some fruit--I just need to get warm and moving again." Within seconds, I had hot chocolate, water, fruits, and the best burrito I have ever tasted. No one mentioned my obscenely short shorts, mud caked legs, or glazed, hollow eyes. Instead, I was given a sofa and prime real estate in the foyer, as much food and fluid as I could handle, gracious kindness and attention by the staff, and bemused looks by those who had reservations:)

Chef Matt refused to accept payment, telling me to "get back out there on the trail and do your job." Little kindnesses like these are impossible to quantify. Chef Matt and his team understand the spirit of those who travel to Twin Lakes and surrounding areas for aesthetic adventure and a shared love of the outdoors. The food was not worth $100--it was worth $1,000--and it rivaled anything I've ever had at an Aspen hot spot. The remote location, attentive staff, gorgeous vistas, and superb service reflect everything right about CO and ensure I'll never take another trip over Independence Pass without stopping off for a bite.

2  Thank Andrew P
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Had a great lunch. Sandwich's and soup was great. Wonderful service. Drove 30 minutes to get here for lunch and it was well worth the trip. Mountain setting is beautiful. If you are driving by, be sure to stop for lunch, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I've eaten dinner twice in the restaurant, and hands down, it's the best cuisine within at least an hour's drive. Five star quality! Top-notch dishes created by one of the best chefs in Colorado. I've also spent the night at the inn and it's a cozy alternative to the chain hotels found in Leadville. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I was planing my trip from Denver to Aspen for a long weekend, and since I wanted to hike on the east side of Independence Pass in the morning hours, I booked a one night stay at The Twin Lakes Inn in late July 2014. I had never stayed here before and what a pleasant, unexpected surprise. Only rooms with a shared bath were available; our room was charming with thick robes, water in the room, and lovely linens. Both the room and baths were extremely clean and updated but still maintained their old style charm. We ate at the restaurant and enjoyed an excellent, tasty meal. The entire staff, especially Andy, were enthusiatic and so helpful to make our stay enjoyable. In Aspen we encountered some rude, poorly trained wait staff, and a less than ideal accommodation, and wished we would have stayed longer in Twin Lakes.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Twin Lakes Inn occupies a building that's been host to many businesses in the hundred or more years it's been there. At one time it was a brothel, and the current management makes a nod to their history with some of the room names.

The place is clean and comfortable, and was all one could ask for in affordable lodging. What really surprised us was the incredible kitchen -- or the incredible meals that came out of it. We ate one lunch and one dinner there, and were wowed by the culinary expertise that went into our cuisine.

I definitely recommend this place for either lodging, dining, or both.

2  Thank Craig S
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a room with a private bath, but the communal baths were spotless too. Our room wasn't huge, but it was comfy and very very nice. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but based on the number of people there, and the comments we heard, the food is very good. The drive to the Inn is beautiful, the views from the front porch of the Inn and our bedroom were fantastic. The staff was pleasant and helpful. Not having a television in our room was actually nice! However, they should consider putting in a clock. :)

Room Tip: Rooms 4 and 5 (and some other I think) have private baths. You pay more for those rooms. But I check...