“Pleasantly Surprised”

Vail's Mountain Haus at the Covered Bridge
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

Having not made this booking myself, I had no idea what to expect. I know from previous experience many of the accommodations in Vail Village can be crusty at best.

Pulling up, the outside of the building is nothing special and that's pretty much what I had expected inside as well. I was wrong. Even though the lobby didnt blow me away, there was no "cheese factor" to turn me off.

My buddy had reserved us a 1 br unit with a pull out sofa. Upon check in, we were sent to a 1 br unit with a very uniques sofa that had no right angles. Needless to say, the room was VERY nice and contemporary, but unless you have scoliosis, the sofa was not very conducive to a pleasant night's sleep. After sorting it all out, the staff was apologetic and accommodating, switching us to a two br unit at no extra charge for the mix up.

The hotel is located literally steps from the covered bridge, and any Vail aficionado knows no further comment is needed on that location. It's excellent.

The complimentary breakfast downstairs was decent and convenient, albeit nothing special. We were reprimanded by one of the staff for apparently using too much batter in the waffle maker. Shame on us.

It's not cheap to stay here, especially at the height of ski season, but paying for convenience rarely is.

I'd come back next year, although I may have second thoughts about making my own waffles.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Steve H

Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stayed here for a week recently and if I was reviewing it on location only, it would get top marks, but there were a few things that were not so great. The good points first:
- great location
- we stayed in apartment 216. Very well appointed, good bathrooms & kitchen. The most amazing big, comfy sofa, balcony overlooking the slopes and big tv with box office movies for a night in. Also a lovely fireplace which turns on at the touch of a button.
- friendly front of house staff.
Bad points were:
- twin room beds were very small and short! We're not particularly tall but our feet hung over the edge of the bed. You also couldn't push them together if you wanted to.
- the twin room didn't have a window and got VERY hot during the night. There was no way to control the heating. We also seem to get cooking smells from other apartments in our room.
- the breakfast was set in a back conference room, self service buffet, not very appealing so we made our own breakfast.
- if you're driving you'll need to park in the main village car park which gets expensive! It would've nice if this could be discounted if you're staying for a week.
I'm not sure if it was because we were there during the US Open Snowboarding Competition but it was very expensive for a week - in fact, it was double the price of our previous week in Aspen. Or maybe Vail is just more expensive.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Traveltink
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed at the Mountain Haus many times over the past three years. Friendly consistent staff and service. Our favorite place winter or summer. It is convenient when skiing or we rented bicycles last summer and biked Vail pass. It was awesome
Victoria

Room Tip: Get one with a balcony.
1  Thank VictoriaJohnsonMD
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Excellent all the way around! Great front desk staff. Awesome breakfast and a great price. Right where you want to be to ski Vail. My husband and I go 3 or 4 times a year and this is one of the best places we have ever stayed! 5* all the way. Happy hour downstairs at the George from 3 to 9 $5 for any drink.

Room Tip: Try not to stay on the front side of the building close to lower 4 levels because it is noisy at the...
1  Thank Jennifer F
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I can't say enough about the Mountain Haus. We stayed there toward the end of the ski season. The location is so convenient: Less than a 5min walk to the One Gondola and right next to the bus stop to take you all around Vail.

Service:
The staff (front desk, concierge, cleaning, breakfast) were so friendly, helpful and just great people. When we arrived in our room, we were greeted with a goodie bag full of snacks. Great touch. Thank you!

Room:
We had a studio room which was basically a hotel room with a small bathroom, vanity + sink, fridge as well as a shared mudroom (which was great to keep our room clean/dry). They also provide a humidifier. It was perfect for me and my girlfriend. The fixtures were new and nice. My only complaint was the bed and pillows weren't the best.

Breakfast:
The room came with a complimentary breakfast. This included a make-your-own waffle station, cereals galore, juices, oatmeal, fresh fruit (bananas, apples, oranges), toast/english muffins/bagels, yogurt, hashbrowns, biscuits, bacon, turkey sausage and pre-made omelets (cheese and western). Was a perfect start to the day and much better than your typical scrambled eggs, soggy bacon, fake bagel continental breakfast. Wish they had real maple syrup but overall a good, solid breakfast

The hotel has a fitness center (small but you are there to ski/hike/other activities), a DVD rental machine (free), a spa (2 good sized hot tubs and a nice sized pool as well as a free laundry room. There's free coffee/water/cookies and free, fast, reliable WiFi.

This is a VERY well-run hotel and must have great management. Probably the best hotel I have booked in terms of value, service and amenities. No it's not the Four Seasons (Mountain Haus is better in many ways), but if that is what you are looking for, you are probably not reading this. Stay here, you won't be sorry.

Room Tip: Stay on a top floor (there is a bar in the basement).
1  Thank Nulions
Reviewed 14 March 2013

The Mountain Haus is a great location right at the covered bridge in Vail Village. The extra ammenities are wonderful -- from the breakfast, 4 p.m. cookies, and guest laundry facilities, this is a peferect place for our family's ski vacations. The in-room robes and hot tub areas are above average. We enjoyed our welcome gift. I would recommend staying at this facility.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the elevator are very hot, and hard to control the heat.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2013

This is the third time we stayed at the Mt Haus for our ski vacation. We have stayed in a 3 BR, 2BR and lastly a 1 BR condo. Each stay has been very memorable and enjoyable. From our previous trips, we found good dinner reservation times difficult to obtain. This year I took advantage of Mt Haus' staff prior to our stay to secure dinner reservation each night of our stay at the time we requested. Shelly did a great job getting the time, date and restaurants we wanted, she was also very good in communicating prior to our arrival. Upon our arrival, we had our itinerary waiting for us in our room.

Also, when it came time to ask advice for other activities they were very helpful in providing great information to make our decision but also making our reservation.

Staying at the Mt Haus will be our go to place next year and each following thanks to the staff, the facility and location.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family