“Family and Pet friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Talisa, Vail

Hotel Talisa, Vail
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Denver, Colorado
“Family and Pet friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

Need a place to allow the kids and dog to run? Here is the spot! We didn't have any children with us, but we did have our dog and it was easy to have her in our room and the hotel. Although you can't leave your pet in the room alone, it was easy to find "potty" spots outside and it was easy to move throughout the hotel

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Beth G
Katie J, General Manager at Hotel Talisa, Vail, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
Dear Beth,
We’re thrilled to hear that you recommend Vail Cascade for families and their four-legged friends! We want all our guests (including those who potty outside) to have a great experience. Thanks for coming up to stay with us from Denver! It’s been snowing like crazy in Vail so we hope you come back and take advantage of our onsite chairlift (and our path for Fido)! Happy Holidays!

Brett Schoenfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

The staff is beyond helpful and friendly. I had never experienced the level of customer service with a hotel when making my reservation and was so grateful and impressed. Had a wonderful stay here for a business trip and would definitely come back for personal stay. The room was lovely, bed was comfortable, fitness center was awesome!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Brett S, General Manager at Hotel Talisa, Vail, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Dear Danica,
Thank you so much for your 5-star review! It’s great to hear you found our staff to be helpful and friendly. We take great pride in exceeding our guest’s expectations and your review is a testament to our devotion to providing unique, memorable experiences. Vail is truly an amazing place and we hope you come back for some winter fun! To commemorate Vail’s 50th winter, we’re rolling out the white carpet with new guest rooms and hosting memory-making celebrations with après ski events, brewmaster’s weekends, and KidVenture; plus our 15th annual Cascade Christmas that boasts family activities, games, performances and a special visit from Santa.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon, and thanks for the great review!

Thanks, Brett Schoenfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

Our family just checked out today and I must say the service was fabulous! Every person we came in contact with from the moment we arrived went above and beyond to provide top notch service! We definitely will be back!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Meagan4567,
We were thrilled to read your 4-star review of our hotel and are delighted to hear that the service you received was top notch. We do hope you return soon and enjoy all the great things that make Vail so special in winter! With our own chairlift, ski valet and rental shop on property, we make it easy to get the most of Vail Mountain. Thank you for choosing Vail Cascade – we hope to welcome you back soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

Pros: good front desk customer service, parking was free and plentiful (instead of charging the $18 stated in the fine print), rooms were nice and clean, bed and pillows comfortable, food was competitively priced in restaurant and bar (50% off of entrees and pizzas.) Shuttle was usually on time to take you to Vail Village and Lionshead Village and back.

Cons: Upon arrival, the bellman delivered our bags to the door, but only knocked once before walking right in, without waiting to make sure it was ok. It would be nice to have longer than a few second window to answer the door before someone welcomes themselves into your suite.
Our TV was unplugged and then was not working and needed to be "re-set." Called front desk who apologized and said they would be sending maintenance right up. After 45 minutes, no maintenance man. We called again, to which they replied that he would be right there. He arrived within 5 min (but at least waited until we had a chance to open the door before entering) He fiddled with the equipment for a while, left again, came back with something, and voila, working TV.
While getting ready for dinner, we noticed that the hot water was off in one of the bathroom sinks. I thought they were supposed to check these things before your arrival?
The next morning we were almost walked in on again, this time by the maid... but we had thwarted her attempt at entering by sliding that little lock at the top of the door before we went to sleep the night before. She tapped 3 times with her key card and just opened the door. This was 2 hours before checkout at 9AM.

I was able to negotiate an upgrade cost because of the 2 walk-ins, and would probably stay again, particularly if I get the same good deal. I heard from the other guests that the spa facility was very nice, but never got down that far to check it out for myself. Ahhh, perhaps next time.

Room Tip: Creekside is very lovely... we woke up to a fine dusting of snow on the trees outside. No fireplaces...
Dear tabers00,
Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review on TripAdvisor. We value feedback from all our guests and appreciate your opinion. As a AAA Four Diamond resort, we strive to provide a great experience and appreciate your thoroughness on every aspect of your experience. We take feedback from our guests seriously and have therefore shared your review with our team. We’re always striving to make improvements in an effort to ensure every guest has a positive experience. We do hope you come back soon and take time to visit Aria Spa & Club, which was recently ranked 24th on Condé Nast’s list of “Top 100 Resort Spas.

Thanks again,
Loveland, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

I tried a group-on coupon for the first time and was very pleased. I used to work in the hotel industry so being greeted like a 5 star customer even though I was using a coupon was a pleasant surprise. All the staff was very friendly and recommended other restaurants even off property without hesitation. I would recommend better signage to get to elevators as it was very common not only for us to get lost but we found people lost as well. With the deal that I got, as well as the free upgrade that they gave us for our anniversary I can't complain, as I never experienced a problem!

Dear scootermsu,
First let me take a moment to send you best wishes on your anniversary. We are truly honored that you selected Vail Cascade as your vacation destination to celebrate this special occasion. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your experience and from what it sounds like, you had a memorable time, which is great to hear. We also appreciate your feedback on our elevator signage - we’ll definitely share that with our team. If you decide to return to Vail, please let me know if there’s anything I can do to make your next visit even more memorable.
Colorado Springs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

How did this place receive 4 stars? The resort was an average at best, and I would definitely knock a star off.

Here's the good:
- location was good, close to I-70 and at only 10 minute distance from Lionshead Village and Vail Village;
- most of the staff was very nice and hepful. They were able to knock off a $27 resort fee as a result if housekeeping mishap (see "the bad" section).
- the food was very good, and restaurant prices were competitive with prices at other restaurants in Vail. There is a cafe, a restaurant and a bar on site.
- there was a self-parking option, and the lot was close enough to the building that it wasn't a hassle;
- the outdoor heated pool is amazing, and they have several hot tubs, as well as fire places that definitely made it a relaxing eperience.

The bad
- they forgot to clean the coffee maker after the last guests, so I found curdled milk inside it. I asked them to have someone clean it, because I didn't have any dishwasher detergent. Someone did come to the room within 15 minutes and claimed she cleaned it. After making coffee, I decided to wash the residue and throw the coffee bag away. Well, I was UNpleasantly surprised to discover curdled milk ON my coffee bag. No wonder the coffee tasted sour, but I thought it was just the coffee. They did offer to take the $27 resort fee off one night's stay.
- I had no idea there was the $27 resort fee until after booking, although this may be the fault of the travel site;
- the staff told us the restaurant was open until 9pm, and the bar until 11ish, but when we wanted to have dinner on Thu night at 8:30, we were told "sorry, the restaurant is closed", and the night before, the bar closed at 9 instead of 11.
- I didn't have a credit card, and I was informed that the minimum they would charge my Debit card was $50. The next morning, I saw $300 taken out as part of the deposit, instead of the $50.
- the pool opens at 7am, but they start filling the pool at random times. Yesterday they did it at 9, today, they started the jets at 10:30.
- the furniture is very outdated, and they need a serious design revamp;
- the bathroom is smaller than bathrooms at 2 or 3 star hotels.

1 Thank Iuliana J
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

I decided to take my 22 year old daughter to Vail for a spur of the moment weekend and we decided on the Vail Cascade Resort. It was easy to get to and the grounds are lovely -- there's a walking/biking path to Lionshead right behind the resort and the entire complex is surrounded by lush forest. There is a very small retail shop onsite where you can buy resort wear but the prices are pretty high. This is also where you can buy certain tickets to attractions in the Vail/Lionshead area.

We went to the front desk to check in and that's where things started to go south. No matter where we went in this hotel, we were asked "did you come here through Living Social?" We didn't but I did purchase the hotel room online via Travelocity the night before, so apparently this is how many (or most?) of the rooms at this hotel are purchased. I thought I'd found a great deal but I was so wrong! We had a nice room -- not large, not small -- although we were able to hear kids running and screaming up and down the halls (which lasted over 20 minutes). I was a little wary about the noise level heard from inside the room but hoped for the best. We made a quick stop at the concierge to ask what we might do in Vail the next day but the guy at the counter was less than helpful. After he finally put down his cell phone, he told us he didn't usually work the concierge desk (he was a shuttle driver who was tapped to help out as concierge) and didn't know what activities were available. We took some maps and brochures and decided to look them over on our own later that night at dinner.

After checking in, we made reservations at Aria, the onsite spa, for massages. Absolute heaven!! This has one of the most relaxing waiting areas, with lounge chairs surrounding a cracking fireplace. We sipped lemon water while zoning out on "spa music" and hushed conversations. The massages were wonderful, with experienced and competent staff and for a reasonable price. Any ratings I've given this hotel are for the spa alone.

We enjoyed dinner and drinks in the hotel bar -- the dining room had a 45 minute wait, although there were at least a dozen empty table within eyesight. I asked why we couldn't sit in any of the empty booths I could see and was told by the hostess that those seats weren't available. When I asked her why not? she stared at me with blank and vacant eyes and had no answer, so I didn't ask again. The food we had in the bar was okay, but expensive ... $50+ for two burgers, fries, one soda and one glass of wine. There was only one waitress in the bar and she was completely slammed -- due to the limited seating in the dining room, the bar was packed! She was amazing and we gave her a great tip and told the manager what a great job she was doing.

We'd decided to turn in early and head out to Lionshead for breakfast and a trip up the mountain the next morning. Then at midnight, we were woken up by the arrival of our next door neighbors and the SCREAMING of a small child. This is when I really realized that the walls here are PAPER THIN! We heard every word they said (two women on a weekend trip with their kids) and especially the bloodcurdling screams of the one child. This went on for almost an hour until the child finally settled down and we all went to sleep. But only until 2am. The kid woke us up screaming even LOUDER than before, which I didn't think was possible but unfortunately it was. After 15 minutes of this commotion, where I didn't hear any other sound coming from the other room, I called the front desk to complain. They called the room, at which time I heard one of the women get out of bed and answer the phone, and within a few minutes the child was quiet.... until 5am when he went ballistic again and we finally gave up on any sleep. When I checked out, I complained to the manager who confirmed our next door neighbor had checked in around midnight. However, she was less than sympathetic, gave me an "oh well" attitude, and said that since I'd pre-paid for my room, she wasn't able to give me any credit. I told her this was BS, that Vail has thousands of hotel rooms, I'd never come here again, etc. So she rolled her eyes and said she'd comp me $15 toward my incidentals (i.e., the dinner in the hotel dining room). Better than nothing, I took the credit, but I told her I'd be leaving an honest review on Trip Advisor.

This hotel is lovely and the spa is fantastic. But I like to get a good night's sleep and it was impossible at this place. When we were there, there was an Orthodox family reunion going on in one of the ballrooms, and the children of these families were everywhere and running amok. Add to that the horrible neighbors with the out of control child and it's impossible for me to leave a good review for this place. As I said to the Cascade manager, there are thousands of hotel rooms available in the Vail area. I suggest you make the Vail Cascade your LAST resort!

Room Tip: I'm not sure if it's possible, but ask for a QUIET room. Maybe you'll get luckier than...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Debbie K
Brett S, General Manager at Hotel Talisa, Vail, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Dear Debbie417,
Thank you for your recent review. We always appreciate hearing feedback from our guests, whether good or bad. From what it sounds like, you enjoyed Aria Spa, but your stay overall did not meet your expectations, as well as ours. I appreciate you providing us with detailed feedback on your experience and some of the issues you encountered specifically. I can promise you that we have shared your feedback and addressed it with our team. Your review is invaluable as we strive to continuously improve our processes and service standards as a AAA Four Diamond resort in Vail. We do hope you give us another chance to earn back your loyalty and I personally invite you to call me directly if I can make your next visit more enjoyable