“Uninspiring property with little style”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 22 April 2014

5 star hotels are supposed to take your breath away when you enter, FSV is a dud. The layout is horrible and there is nothing special about this hotel. The rooms are cheap and too outdated. The service is pretty good for Colorado standards. The location is ok, but not great. Room services prices where insanely bad. Hyatt BC is way better across the board.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CDUB212121
FSVail, Director of Rooms at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear CDUB212121,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to contact me directly at 970-477-8604.

Raphael Pazzini
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Finally a top hospitality address in Vail, number one all around, no less...

Last year we stayed at the Vail Ritz Carlton. The service, the attitude, the facilities. Everything was just right. No, make it perfect, except...no restaurant, no room service.
Yes, that is correct, these are the Ritz Carlton Residence and Club, big family apartments but no breakfast, lunch or dinner. They offer you food from the Marriott, but you could as well ask for outside service. Is not what you expect. Yes, they have a snack menu at the bar, but it only goes so far.

This year I was traveling with my 2 kids only, so I decided I wanted to stay in a regular hotel (somewhere that would not imply to show my absence of cooking talent). I had stayed at other Vail locations like the Sonnenalp, Ritz Carlton and The Lodge, and a few platinum grade houses, but those were not my first choice. You know that when you stay at a Four Seasons you always expect great things and a memorable stay, so aside from the RC, this was an obvious choice.

I read some of the reviews. I always read the latest and the worst ones so I can get a measure of what to expect. The recent ones are a fresh update and the not so good allows me to expect the worst and hope for the best.

The first 2 days I experience some issues but the GM Raphael Pazzini and his staff worked every single detail to make it perfect. People like Mr Pazzini are the reason why Four Seasons is still the best brand in the hospitality market. By far.

The FS is located in mid Vail. There are other hotels closer to the lifts, but as you must have read, they have a concierge ski that makes it so easy for you, that it's location becomes irrelevant. They will take you in a 4 minute ride to the ski concierge about a 100 feet from Gondola 1. They will carry your skis to the snow, so don't mind what anybody writes about the location, it is perfect for an evening stroll to your preferred dining post.

The hotel also has house cars that will take you anywhere close by, so just park your car if you drove here and forget about it until your departure.

Matt and Lindsay at the Concierge are just fabulous. They will bend over to help you with any request. Smile included 7 X 24.

Our room was a one bedroom suite which we got at a very reasonable check in upsell. Each of us had a bed, to relax after a tight schedule on the slopes and before leaving for the endless dinner options in town. I do recommend this highly for a 4 member family. 1 king in a room plus a sofabed in the entrance that will accept a rollaway, plus a 1/2 bathroom. Couldn't have been better, (except maybe for one of their FS residences, but that was beyond my budget for this trip)

Some issues that were solved by Mr Pazzini and the excellent staff:

Some issues from room service improved after the first night. Also Mr Pazzini took notice that not all kids are 4 years old, even if you ask from children's menu, they will offer regular plates and silverware, not only plastic plates and cups.

The "upsell" room had an issue with the heating. It took them a couple of days, but were on it until it worked as new.
We had breakfast at their flame restaurant. The buffet is good, but it wouldn't hurt to expand it. I preferred to order from the menu, as the buffet was not as tempting. The first experience was kind of dull, but there after we had excellent service from the Flames' staff. Very nice people, indeed.

Same thing happened at their ski concierge. the first impression was average, but as days went by they really work hard to please every guest, helping with the boots, skis and always with a perfect smile.

When we checked in the minibar was only an empty fridge (??), I asked for soft drinks for the kids. They sent them to stock it and charged me all in the room service. Mr Pazzini told me he had taken notice, and that it was not supposed to be the way it should work. I understand they should stock it and only charge you when you actually take it from the minibar as any other hotel. If they work it out like that, it will be an improvement over other hotels. i.e. I never drink alcohol from the minibar, so it works better to have other type of drinks.

I've been coming to Vail for about 20 years, always trying to improve my previous experiences.

Four Seasons has my highest grade. I've not stayed yet at Sebastian's or Arabelle, but having talked to my friends, and having visited both, they still have a few things to learn from the Four Seasons.

If you stay here and have any small issue, no matter what it is, I do suggest to socialize it with Mr Pazzini. He is totally oriented to make your stay a FS experience.

After 20 years I know I don't have to keep on looking. This is home now.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank PegasoMex
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I have made Vail a superbowl tradition the past 3 years and could not be happier with absolutely everything. From the amazingly cozy lit fireplace in your room to the hot tea waiting in the lobby, I count the days til our next visit. The staff meets the FS mission and vision everytime with not a glitch!!! The food is divine and the skiing couldnt be anymore accessible! See you soon FS Vail!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alison O
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I consider myself a finicky traveler but from the moment we saw our room for the 1st time to leaving, we were wowed. My husband and I checked in for my birthday weekend and I left leaving there feeling that it was one of my best. We went to Vail for some spring skiing, but due to the conditions, we only had 1 good ski day but Vail has so much more to do. We opted for a wonderful spa day on one of the other days and snowmobiling (suggested by the property's excellent concierge) on the other. The rooms, including the bathroom, were spacious, clean and modern. The service was unparalled. The spa had a steam room, sauna, and huge whirlpool, which were all included. We definitely will be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oceanfla1
FSVail, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Oceanfla1,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on Four Seasons, Vail, especially since it was your birthday weekend! I'm glad the spring skiing was not the only items you were able to take advantage of. Our 5-Star Spa and snowmobiling are just a couple of amazing activities you can do while in Vail if skiing isn't your thing, although right when you left we did receive 9" of snow! We look forward to welcoming you back to Vail to discover even more.

Warm regards,

Mark Herron

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Everything about this property was wonderful, especially the service. The rooms were so beautifully decorated. I especially enjoyed the spa and the fireplace by the pool.
Josslyn from the lobby bar was a terrific contribution to the enjoyment of our stay. Always greeted us by our names and went out of her way to find roasting sticks at 10pm for our two little girls to roast their smores by the pool. Always greets with a smile and always ready to help. My girls loved her!
Emilio at front driveway was also very helpful. Hands on Manager which is always good to see.
Don't usually write long reviews so I will leave it at that. Keep it up Four Season s!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jamielee680
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Service is the #1 priority here and it goes without saying the rooms are fantastic as well. Rooms are generally larger than other luxury hotels in the Vail/Beaver creek area and the service is second to none. My favorite property amenity is the slopeside ski valet. What a wonderful experience from the cookies and drinks to the ski lockers with heated boot dryers.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have been a user of trip advisor for years and am finally compelled to write my first review. My husband and I have been coming to Vail for years. We often stay at the Four Seasons. To compare, we are fans of the Four Seasons in general but are also very loyal to Starwood (St. Regis). For years I have read the reviews of our destinations (Punta Mita, Nevis, Vail) and have appreciated others comments. I am finally compelled to add my own review to give a very well deserved shout out to the Vail Four Seasons and to especially the Fireside crew. In particular to Jesse (asst manager) and her supporting team. John (fish), Brad and Brian. Job well done. You made it possible for us enjoy the Flame menu (even though we sat in the bar) when it was super busy and were always gracious. The food was great but your service was amazing! Jesse was nothing less than gracious and welcoming. Thanks Vail Four Seasons. Your reputation is well deserved. Cannot wait for out next stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vail
The Sebastian - Vail
#3 of 30 in Vail
Vail Mountain Lodge
Vail Mountain Lodge
#6 of 30 in Vail

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail? Share your experiences!