“Not suggested in summer”

The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The room was nice, but very warm in the summer. Little airflow in the room made it uncomfortable to sleep. The pool and hot tub area were nice and I have a feeling I would have liked it in the winter better.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
LAV81657, Manager at The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that the temperature in the room had a negative impact on the quality of your stay. I am pleased to share with you that we will be adding air conditioning to all of our hotel style rooms during our scheduled renovation this fall. I hope to see you this winter and by next summer you will be able to fully enjoy the rooms with the upgraded amenities, new furnishings, and cool air. I look forward to your next trip to Vail.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Place was a little tough to find.... valet & front desk were top notch.....access to shops was awesome....great mountain views.....but I do have 2 complaints though - bed was rock hard and there was a horrible freight-train droning noise all night...possibly the air conditioning unit of a connecting room. Whatever it was it was annoying as hell

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve K

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that the staff and location were optimal for you. I am sorry to hear that you had a noise issue. I would like to look into this more to ensure I can prevent the issue from happening to any future guests. Would you be able to tell me your room number so I can investigate this? I would like to discuss a resolution for this issue as well. My contact information in below and I look forward to hearing from you.

970.754.7825

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Hotel was ok. Overall clean, staff nice, and quaint hotel to stay at. Ceilings were low in the rooms. I am short, under 5' 4" and I felt the ceilings were low. Room was nice and clean. bathroom had some peeling wall paper, but other than that and the heated towel rack not working, it was nice. There is a planned renovation starting in August, so some of that will be fixed soon. Pool area was decent. Pool with two hot tubs. Bar set up outside. Never a lot of people there, but was a decent area. Did not use the gym but checked it out. A larger / nicer hotel gym. Not fancy, but more equipment than your basic hotel gym. There is a yoga studio, but during our stay it was not open.

There are two main things that rubbed me the wrong way with this hotel: 1) A $20 / day resort fee. I do not mind a resort fee, and am happy to pay it when I feel like I am getting something for it. At the Lodge at Vail I got a $20 newspaper one day when I stayed there. Nothing else. They comment that turn down service (signed up, never received), the newspaper, access to the pool and gym, and wifi are included in the resort fee. I expect wifi at a hotel, and if they do not have it will use mifi. Gym and pool at Lodge at Vail are nothing spectacular, so do not feel a extra resort fee should be charged for something that is expected when paying over $170 / night for a hotel. For that price, the hotel should have a gym and pool. There is a yoga studio that has classes. There were no classes held in the studio during our stay. Yet another thing in our "resort fee" that meant nothing. We were promised a news paper, got one the first day, and not again. We signed up for turn down service and never got anything. When we talk "resorts" and "resort fees" I picture something like the JW Marriott San Antonio, Hyatt Hill Country, or Tradewinds. I do not mind paying a resort fee when extra services beyond the basic hotel are offered. At Lodge at Vail that is not the case, so no resort fee should be charged. 2) The fan in our room was terrible. It made such a loud noise that it kept us up at night. We had to turn it off and open the window. Not a big deal, and we could have complained and asked to move, but we had already moved rooms once so it was not worth it.

We spent the last night of our stay at Marriott Lionshead, which I will review on their page. Vail Village had more nightlife, but during the day we spent it in Lionshead by the Eagle Bahn gondola. For the price of Lodge at Vail, suck it up and spend a little more for the Sebastian or Sonnenlap, wish I would have done that. Or just pay less and stay in a cheaper condo or in Lionshead. There is a shuttle bus that runs between the two villages.

Husband ate at Elways and said it was good. Never tried the other restaurants.

Our stay was nice and fine. However, for the price, I will pay more to stay at the Sebastian next time if we travel without kids or stay at one of the cheaper hotels / condos in Lionshead if we have the family with us. I will avoid "Rock Resorts" in the future since I believe I have a different definition of "resort" from the company.

1  Thank Girl1Tx

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay at the Lodge. I would be disheartened to lose your business and hope that I can convince you to give the Lodge another try. I would love to discuss your stay with you in more detail and would be happy to contact your or to have you reach out to me at your convenience. Please let me know if you would like me to give you a call to discuss a resolution for the issues you had during your recent stay. My contact information is below.

970.754.7825

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Outstanding summer retreat. Spa and pool were pretty remarkable. Food is always great. But the service is exceptional.
Close to everything. Hiking, mountain biking, sunbathing, food, food and more food.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review! I am happy to hear you had such a good trip! It sounds like a great mix of activity and getting spoiled, as it should be! You should try to join us at the pool for one of our Sunday BBQ pool parties. The food and beverage team prepares weekly specials and it is a great place for our guests to avoid the Sunday traffic and have some fun in the sun. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My family and I have enjoyed going to the Lodge at Vail in June for the last 3 years. Every single staff member goes out of their way to be friendly and assist you. The entire resort is welcoming and inviting. Anyone from housekeeping to the front desk or concierge are always there to help. You truly feel like you are on a vacation even if you only live a few hours away.
Our daughter loves going there and calls the resort 'The Castle where the princes and princesses are'. The staff is very friendly with children and they go out of their way to speak to the kids and treat them special. Not many hotels do that.
The front desk supervisor is great. He is always friendly and truly cares to make sure your stay is nothing short of wonderful.
We would recommend this place to everyone!

Room Tip: Make sure to be specific on what you are looking for in a room. For example, if you need a mini frid...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen F

Thank you Karen F!

After reading your comment about how your kids describe our hotel, I can remember meeting you and your family last year! Thank you for choosing the Lodge at Vail as your destination for your Vail vacations! We hope to see you and your family again soon. Please let me know when you plan your next visit, I would love to come and say hello. I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend! Next year you will have to try and visit over the 4th of July, the parade is currently going right by our Gore Creek entrance! It is the best place to watch all of the holiday festivities. Take Care.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The professional and caring attitude of the entire staff made this vacation terrific. Each and every person we had contact with was professional and truly caring. From the the front desk receptionist and manager during check in to the bell men, room service, maids and concierge, each person made us feel welcomed and royal for the entire duration of our stay!

My wife received a hand written note of welcome and congratulations for her birthday upon arrival, and room service delivered complimentary birthday wine and chocolates to our room the first evening. On the night of her birthday dinner, the concierge not only made special reservations for us at a fine restaurant, but she also delivered to our table a beautiful planter of flowers for my wife.

As a retired Air Force and commercial airline pilot, I have stayed at many hotels, both professionally and personally, and I have NEVER been treated so royally by any staff at any hotel, BAR NONE!

The only drawback to the entire experience was the worn condition of the hotel and rooms, but the personal and caring encounters with the staff throughout our stay far ourweighed this issue. I understand this will be corrected over the summer as the entire hotel is being renovated.

I heartily recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Be sure to request either a mountain view or Vail Village view. Both are very nice.
2  Thank Mile_Hi_Guy51

Thank you for your glowing review! It sounds like you had an amazing birthday and I am thrilled that our staff was able to help make it an occasion to remember. We take it as a huge compliment when someone wants to spend their special day here with us at the Lodge, so our staff always goes above and beyond to "make you feel like royalty!" I hope we can help you celebrate many birthdays to come.

Cheers!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We had a great visit at The Lodge. It is in such a wonderful location right in the heart of Vail. The staff truly wants you to be happy, and does what ever it takes to make you feel taken care of. Our room was gorgeous, and the flowers on the patio were beautiful. I would have liked screens on the window, so they could remain open all night. But otherwise it was wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Good Day CHoward57,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Our staff loves focusing on elevating our guests experience so that staying at the Lodge feels like a home a way from home. I am pleased that they were able to add to your experience while staying with us. Come back and visit soon, it's the perfect time to see all of the wild flowers around the area. Please let me know if I can assist you with any future reservations. Take Care.