“Worst of the worst”

Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Guatemala
“Worst of the worst”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

I have two properties at the Doral in Miami and made the exchange with this property. the experience has been the worst. i planned this vacation well in advance and to begin we were not placed together. One group\ was at the Streamside and we were at the Birch. The room is maybe a 350 sq. ft. unit, with very old furniture, damaged and dirty, the room was a very small maybe 120 sq. ft., we placed our money and jewelry in the safe and then it didn't open. The chief engineer had o come and personally verify that it was non operable. They had to call the manufacurer to solve he problem. The gas fireplace smelled like burned plastic. the space in the kitchen is 6 ft. by 4 ft. The bathroom is so small that only one person can use it.
If you don't ask for a garage, nobody offers it. The front desk staff is no help at all. They know nothing, and their answer is allways is blame it on Interval.
I have stayed in a lot of Marriott properties and this is by far the worst. The whole building should be demolished in order to build something according to the Marriott name brand. i don't recommend and will never come again to this 1 star hotel

Room Tip: Never choose to come here
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank waterman01
MVCI_Executive, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott's StreamSide Birch at Vail, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Trip Advisor.

First and foremost, I apologize that you had a less than enjoyable stay with us at Marriott’s StreamSide at Vail. We try to provide that Marriott service level that you have come to appreciate over the years for all of our buildings on the StreamSide property. Please feel free to contact the General Manager at 970 476-6000 if you would like to talk about it further.

Thank you again for your time and feedback.

Best regards,

Customer Care
Customer.Care@mvwc.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Colleyville, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We used "bonus" Marriott Vacation Club points for our 5 night stay. So, I considered these to be "free" nights. The points were going to expire this year.

The interior of the condo is old and seems to be a lot of the original furnishings. The TV's have been upgraded to flat screens.

Like a lot of the condo's in Vail, these are very close to I-70. Very convenient for driving around, but too noisy to keep windows open at night. There is no air conditioning or ceiling fans over the beds. They do provide portable fans but they are rather loud too.

The common areas are good --- nice indoor/outdoor pool with lap lanes. They have a fitness center. The resort is very centrally located right at the West Vail exit.

We like to hike, and we are hiking or playing golf most of the day. We use the condo mainly for breakfast and for sleeping. We were in a one bedroom condo - only 2 people. So, we had plenty of room.

We really like Vail in the summer and would stay here again. However, it is all about relative cost. If you trade your timeshare week for week at Streamside, you will probably feel slighted. The new Marriott VC point system values the property correctly. For my one week, oceanview timeshare in Maui, we could stay about 4 weeks in the summer at Streamside. About right.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Steveh3Texas
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

I started itching about 4 days into 1 week Vacation. Upon returning home I was scratching Violently. I went to the doctor $100 visit and was diagnosed with bedbugs/scabies. They are little 8 legged creatures/parasites that get under your skin of it's host and bury it's body deep under the skin, then produce larva and the eggs hatch producing more. A very serious condition if not stopped, producing sores and scabes that itch like the devil. You have to use a pesticide cream $90+ to put all over your body from head to toe. Oh by the way the creams ingreidiants is a Nerotoxin to your brain permethrin via google www.sacbies-killer.com. has a more natural product that I also bought. I have used both it's been 1 week and still itching furiously. Scabies from the bug remain under my skin taking weeks/ months to die off and the skin to heal. What a nightmare. Furiously washing all bedsheets and clothes and towels on a daily basis with a bedbug detergent I bought online to kill the bedbugs, it's eggs and larva. If that were'nt bad enough the hotel has curb where you pull your luggage over whereby the luggage cart fell on my head. I suffered a blow to my skull that practically knocked me out and a 2' bump shortly thereafter. I'm glad I'm still alive after these two experiences at this hotel/timeshare. Plus your 4 miles from Vail, you are not in town and have to take a shuttle everywhere unless you drove. The hotel room is dated, small and only had a pullout couch and a Murphey bed, very uncomfortable I might add. Worst hotel and trip I've been on.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank goingtwice

Travellers are raving about these Vail hotels

Colorado, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

Streamside consists of several buildings and, of course, Birch is one of the further ones. Nevertheless, it's probably about 2-3 min walking to Lobby and Pool area and there is plenty of parking available. It's also on the Hotel shuttle route so you get the same service as people staying in more expensive Douglass building.

The only negative is that you are outside of Vail village so you have to rely on their shuttle service to get you in and out. On the other hand, the service is very reliable and shuttles are right on time.

The room that we good was what the called a 1 bedroom villa. In reality, that's a one bedroom apartment with full kitchen and two full bathrooms. The room is spacious and has everything you'd possibly need. The version that we had - I think they had couple of configurations - had one queen (or King?) sized bed in the bedroom and two pull out sofas in the living room. There were four of us and the living room was large enough to accommodate all of us with our stuff very comfortably.

There were plenty of pillows, blankets and whatever else you'd need to make yourself comfortable at night. There is a ski locker on the ground floor which they give you free key for.

The hotel offers free WiFi to everybody but I don't think they offer any sort of breakfast.

Overall, I would highly recommend Streamside - very good value if you don't mind shuttle service to Vail village.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BorisUSA
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

The 1 bedroom unit we had was spotless and up to date. There is a full kitchen and a gas fireplace in the living room. Our unit also had a balcony. The property is well taken care of with a nice pool and exercise room.

It is well situated and within easy walking distance of a Safeway and several excellent but moderately priced restaurants.

My only complaint is highway noise from Interstate 70 which was about 150 feet from our windows. In the summer the rooms can get warm and you need to open the windows as there is no airconditioning. However, the sound of trucks, etc. driving by is disturbing.

I imagine in the winter it is not a problem as you would probably keep the windows closed.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

We stayed at the Birch building of Marriott Streamside in August and I was a little concerned after reading the previous reviews but I found that the rooms were newly furnished and updated. Flat screens in every room, kitchen and bathrooms updated and a full line up of cable channels which if you have young children can be important. It is only a few minute drive to Vail Village and in the summer it is free to park at the village. There is a shuttle but we did not use because of the free parking. There is a Safeway about 1 minute away as well as some small eateries. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank renmiked
washington, dc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2008

Note that this building is one of five that USED TO BE managed by Marriott. Cedar is no longer managed by Marriott and it is obviously due to the fact that they would not step up to the standards required. We needed to negotiate 75 stairs to our room (over 90 for the higher floor) with ski eq't and large bags. A catwalk from the clubhouse can save half the stairs, but you still need to cross on potential ice, through darkness at night, and open and shut difficult doors.

The rooms have not been upgraded in many many years and the mattresses were pathetic. And the bedding was absolutely intolerable. NO JOKE - BRING YOUR OWN SHEETS!

On the positive side, the personnel were very nice and helpful as possible, the new clubhouse (with fitness center and pool) are excellent, as they were shared with the Marriott buildings. The location and shuttle service to Vail were well-run (again shared services).

In all, if you are young and/or the price is right, this resort building may be fine for you. If you care about staying in a quality resort room and/or your back is not in tip-top shape, I would think twice.

• Liked — New fitness club and shuttle service.
  • Disliked — Room upkeep, bedding.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank dubious1