“Fine dining in a laid back setting”
Review of Sweet Basil

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Wall Street
Description: Voted #1 in Colorado by Zagat Survey, Sweet Basil has been a must for travelers and locals alike since 1977. The cuisine is creative contemporary American utilizing many cultural influences from around the world. Located in the heart of Vail Village, the restaurant blends fine dining with a captivating trendy energy.
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Wonderful all around dining experience. Wait staff and sommelier were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. We looked to them for suggestions and loved everything we ate and drank. The pork chops were better than any steak I've ever had. Comfortable atmosphere with indoor or outdoor dining. Nice wine and cocktail selection. As a couple we had two drinks each, two appetizers and two entrees. Our total bill, tax, tip, out the door was $220. Worth every penny!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,532)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The wine list was amazing and the wine service very attentive. The waiter couldn't remember the special and wasn't able to recover. The food was a tired rendition of other great eateries but not done well. In the end we left with a sense that the chef was working old notions off key and out of time much like the cover band singer we hand to listen to from a bar nearby as we sat sort of al fresco. if you are a tired old dude or chick who cares not what he or she eats and like great wine... and doesn't mind sloppy renditions of hits from the 70s, you will be fine.
Workin' on mysteries without any clues
Workin' on our night moves
Tryin' to make some front page drive-in news
Workin' on our night moves
In the summertime

1  Thank mangetak
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Sweet Basil has been a "must" for me on every visit to Vail - for many years. I'm never disappointed with any aspect of my experience there. That includes the variety offered on the menu and the level of service provided by all of the Staff. It always appears that the employees enjoy working there. This visit was no exception.l
My son and I were fortunate to get a reservation on a Friday evening due to a last minute cancellation. If you plan to go, make your reservations as far in advance as possible and be prepared to be flexible...or even opt for lunch.
The atmosphere is warm and subdued. The large windows surrounding the restaurant allow plenty of light. The patio in the back provides a view of Gore Creek. There is also a small outside patio in the front, facing the street. You are immediately made to feel welcome by the Hostess. We recognized our Server from our last visit. There is maturity/longevity among the Server Staff and that's reflected in the level of courtesy and attention you receive. They KNOW the menu and the wine list, and I appreciate that.
The menu at Sweet Basil changes with the season and always takes advantage of fresh, local provisions.
We began with the Caesar Salad which involves the entire Romaine leaf and is lightly dressed and therefore not overpowering. My Pan-Roasted Monkkfish with House Sriracha Sauce was delicate and beautifully presented with plenty of flavor. The portion was enough for me, but enough for my son to sample also. He had the Chicken Breast with Sausage and Saffron Cream. Again, plenty for him, but enough for me to taste. Save room for dessert because you will be delighted with whatever you select. Their specialty is the Sticky Pudding and is to die for. However, we chose to share the Strawberry Cream Trifle. Once you break through the caramel lace over the glass, each layer is more luscious than the last. We topped of the meal with a Cappuccino. We left happy, totally satisfied and with our faith in Sweet Basil intact!
I understand that Mountain Standard on the lower level (where Blu's used to be) is now part of the Sweet Basil family. We have to give that a try on our next visit.
Thanks again to everyone at Sweet Basil for a wonderful evening.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Sat at the bar for a late afternoon snack and had one of the best "BLT" ever! The garlic aoli is good enough to put on anything. The bar is one of friendliest and inviting bars around.

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We sat on the back patio for lunch and it was so relaxing. Great atmosphere. The Cobb salad and the pork loin BLT were both delicious but the sandwich is huge. Two people can easily share. Very diverse menu. Wait staff was very efficient and helpful. Overall a great lunch.

Been to Sweet Basil? Share your experiences!