“Not recommended”
Review of Vail Run Resort

Vail Run Resort
Ranked #14 of 41 Speciality Lodging in Vail
Reviewed 11 March 2008

This is one of the more economical options in Vail and it shows. The hotel has a shuttle that has a restricted timetable and then you can request a pick up outside of these hours - well we requested and half an hour later (we could have walked) it still hadnt turned up.
The rooms and furniture are very old and outdated, however the kitchen is modern and well equipped.
The hot water in the shower runs at normal temp for a minute then is scorching followed by freezing, these temperature changes repeat thoughout your ablutions.
The matresses on the sofa bed are awful and are not condusive to a skiing holiday where you need to rest well. The matress on a pull down bed we had was only slightly better.
We booked for 4 nights thursday to monday and friday evening at 10pm were told we would have to move to another room - most inconvenient, the staff did help with moving our things over but the attitude of the manager was terrible. When I went to register my complaint about having to move I was literally told to like it or lump it - honestly it doesnt take much, an upgrade, a bottle of wine with compliments, even an simple apology would do the job. We will not use this resort in the future.

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank gerencia_LVA
Vail Run Resort B, Vice President at Vail Run Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

They booked a studio, the smallest unit available. Then, when it's not what they expected everything else is wrong. They were rude to front desk staff and demanding an upgrade. Never ever talked to the General Manager, must have mistaken the identity, thinking the front desk manager was the manager.

Reviewed 20 September 2007

My mom and I decided to use our timeshare to stay at Vail Run for a week. I didn't find it to be noisy, but we were also facing away from the interstate. Instead, we had a nice, up close view of one of the mountains and several of the beautiful homes of Vail. The rooms themselves were quaint and pleasant. We stayed in a studio-style unit, but there was plenty of room. We had two beds (not much walking space around the beds), a dresser, closet, full living room with TV, DVD, and coffee table, a dinning table with antler lighting fixtures, a full kitchen with everything without a blender, fireplace, and a patio. They ask that you leave the door shut while you shower so the steam won't set off the smoke detector. However, we had problems with the water temperature in our shower. Once I was able to get the water to a comfortable temperature, every now and then the water would get to be either ice cold, or so hot I had to get out of the water. We talked with the front desk and they looked into it, but it didn't really help. The beds were quite hard too. My mom and I just had a very hard time getting comfortable and staying comfortable. There is no A/C, but there is heating through the base panels and the fire place. However, you never need A/C because it is beautiful year round. The front staff was very nice, but they had a difficult time answering out questions (where are some local restaurants where they would hang out - less than $20 per plate - they gave us the name of a restaurant that was $40+ per plate), does the farmer's market sell fruit (they said no, but there was a lot of fruit there), and if you have a cooking question, I would wait for one of the women clerks. :)

I plan on visiting Vail again, but I will be choosing someplace else to stay. If you have never been to Vail, it is a very small town with some shopping, skiing, spas, and dinning. We were very busy though since we made plans to go rafting, horseback riding, on cave tours and a hummer tour. Many of the places will accept reservations, but you could probably call even the day of and be able to do whatever you would like. For most rafting tours, however, they need to have at least four people. The float trips are good for little kids and those who are more interested in enjoying the scenery.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank MKE_IAH
Reviewed 22 July 2007

We just spent a week at Vail Run. It was a little dated but very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is a great deal of noise from the interstate and since it doesn't have air conditioning you have to have the windows open. It is very loud. The parking garage is convenient. Don't get there early. When they say move in time is 4:00 pm they mean it. Pool and hot tub were nice

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Silkey51
Reviewed 24 April 2007

Stayed at Vail Run Resort recently and I must say the location is good if you don' t mind being directly on the interstate. I was expecting something more lodgey, but since I had never been to Vail that's my fault. My main complaint was there very limited cable tv service. No News Channels, Weather Channel, etc. Just local TV. Some might find it refreshing to be cut off from the world, but I find it annoying! Staff is very nice. Parking is convenient.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2007

I used a timeshare exchange to get here. My husband and I were desperate for a Denver area ski trip with our friends. We thought "It's a heck of a lot closer than Florida!". The resort itself is fine. It's just a little outdated. The shuttle service is nice but you have to plan your town travels around the schedule (which is fine during high ski pick up and drop off) otherwise you spend lots of time drinking more or waiting in the cold for the next trip around.

Our room was okay. We had a one bedroom with this horribly loud plastic slider door divider to the living room where our friends were on the sleeper sofa. God forbid you had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night - the door was loud and creaky!

Speaking of the bathroom - tiny! I almost slipped and killed myself on the tub mat. And the note on the mirror indicating that the door must be kept shut so that the steam wouldn't set off the building's fire alarm should have been a clue. No hairdryer but the helpful front desk staff will give you one. The water was inconsistent - scalding hot and icy cold.

One highlight is the people. Really helpful, informative and friendly. Unfortunately the facilities don't compare to the service.

The skiing was fantastic. The room and resort? Not so much....

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank Flafreckles
Reviewed 12 August 2006

My husband and I just spent a week at the Vail Run Resort in Vail, Co. We stayed in the studio room. When we first walked in the room we were very happy. We saw 2 doors and figured that must be the bedroom. We were wrong. The only beds that are in the studio are 2 pull out couches. The bed was horrible. My husband ended up sleeping on the couch (not on the pull out) and I pulled the matress off the couch and slept on the floor. We talked with another couple - and they were doing the same exact thing. The other aspects of the room are nice. We had a full kitchen, a fireplace, bathroom, nice furniture (coffee tables, lamps, table and chairs), and a really cool antler light fixture. Our room also had a balcony with 2 chairs. The pool and hot tub are nice. There is also a gas grill by the pool with all the utensils you'll need. You just take your food down to the grill, sit on the patio furniture while your food cooks. There is a parking garage underneath the resort to keep your car in - it's nice to keep it out of the rain, etc. Overall we enjoyed our stay at Vail Run. Our only complaint is the pull out couches.
The workers at Vail Run are very friendly and helpful. They can answer your questions - and are just fun to talk with.

We would recommend driving to other towns during your stay. There is so much to see in Colorado - and Vail doesn't have it all. We drove to Leadville and Glenwood Springs to go hiking. We rafted with Rock Gardens in Glenwood (MUCH cheaper than Nova Guides). We drove to Estes Park and went through the Rocky Mountain National Park.
Vail is a very nice town. My husband and I are laid back and we couldn't find too many "fun" restaurants to eat at. Everything is fancy. We did like Garfinkle's in Lionshead Village and Pazzo's Pizza in Vail Village. We rented bikes for a couple of hours and rode all around Vail Vilage. That was fun. Check out the Betty Ford Garden - very pretty. On Sunday afternoons there is a farmer's market in Vail (9 -3). You have to go to it. It's great to walk around, sample great food, listen to music, and buy some really neat items. I enjoyed this a lot.

Have Fun :)

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
11  Thank HunterLilly
Reviewed 1 April 2005

We have stayed at the Vail Run Resort during President's Week for the past two years. The condos have everything to provide a relaxing vacation. Units are spacious with a full kitchen that has been recently updated with Corian countertops. Their is an indoor hottub and a heated pool which is both indoor and outdoor. Free internet service is in the lounge area. The resort runs a shuttle to the town of Vail several times and day and there is also public bus service that picks you up right at the door. Underground parking provides a safe place for your car. The resort is a great value for the money.-

• Stayed: January 2005