“Not Liken it”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: S. Frontage Road
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have eaten at Kelly Liken three times in the past year and sadly it will be my last. The first time we found the atmosphere and food to our general liking. It was a busy ski season night. The food and presentation were good but nothing stood out. Mario Batali had just been there so the buzz was in the air. Maybe Mario got different food and service, maybe it was just an off night. So we decided to try it again. This time it was before their spring break. Our mistake. The limited menu became even more limited. Although the prices were deeply discounted it barely made it worth it.

The last straw came when we dined there recently with a group of 8. At a minimum charge of $75/person the tab can add up fast. If you have children, especially picky ones, this will not be your place. Service initially started off very good. However, except for the one server (I apologize I don’t remember her name.) it was uncomfortable. One person was gluten free and yet they kept putting bread in front of her. The busboy, although he seemed sweet, constantly and I mean constantly was spilling water every time he refilled the waters. Then he would promptly clean it up. Which meant shuffling of glasses and hovering over an already crowded table. He even broke a glass along side our table which also disrupted the conversation. He was very apologetic, but we had to laugh as even the table was cleared and glasses refilled waiting for the check, the water was again spilled.

The food: For our table of 8 it was big hit or big miss. The Elk carpaccio isn’t really a carpaccio since it’s really cooked medium rare. But it’s still delicious. The beet salad is more of an art piece than a salad. Four tiny baby beets barely cooked al dente doesn’t really make a salad. There were several fish dishes, either as an app or entree and they were delicious. The pork was so salty it was unpalatable. We declined on desserts. And with that our service became non-existent. A bowl of small treats were literally dropped on the table with no description while waiting for the check. When asked if any were gluten free from a passing server the reply was “maybe there on the bottom” thus rendering it contaminated.

Happily there are so many other restaurants competing for our dollars that have more consistency that we will now be able to enjoy. Mario, I love you and your food, but you can keep Kelly Liken to yourself.

1  Thank 7FoodandWineGuy7

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I ventured over to Kelly Liken on a Sunday night in August - mostly because we had heard they had a jazz band on Sunday nights and we thought we could have some drinks and maybe dessert. We each had a drink (one port, one scotch), and shared a dessert. The total was $58.86.

We liked the ambiance, enjoyed the band, and the menu looked quite good. Nevertheless, we found the food and drink to be a little on the expensive side. Additionally, since we came on a Sunday, the restaurant has a menu that is built around what the chefs find at the Vail farmer's market that day. It's a great idea, but there were only two appetizers, two mains, and a single dessert to choose from. So if you go on a farmer's market day, there won't be very many options.

Overall, we enjoyed it and would be willing to go back on a regular night when the full menu is available.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Every time we go to Vail, we make it a point to eat at Kelly Liken. It is our family favorite and this time was no exception. The elk carpaccio and the potato crusted trout are amazing!! Great restaurant!!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband and I dined here a few days ago and were blown away by the flavors and quality of the food. We went in with some hesitation after seeing the restaurant a bit lower on the Trip Adviser list of restaurants for Vail. This restaurant should be in the top five, if not the top 3, in Vail.

Creative, amazing cocktails-- mine used bourbon and a granola simple syrup-- started off the meal on a tasty note. My husband had a signature tomato martini that was SO GOOD. We love that they work off of a 3 course prix fixe menu. The choices were enough to satisfy any palette and we have a hard time deciding which courses to choose. We added a cheese plate and some house made pickled vegetables as starters and between that and all 3 courses, we were stuffed. Each plate of food was beautifully arranged and cooked perfectly. Our courses ranged from meat to fish to vegetable based and all were equally good.

I really can't say enough good things about this restaurant. High quality ingredients turned into delicious dishes that will absolutely delight you! You are missing out if you visit Vail and do not eat at this restaurant. IGNORE THE #49 rating... it's not accurate AT ALL. My husband I both love food and eat out frequently, and without doubt we can say this restaurant is amazing. It's sadly under-rated on this site.

2  Thank ColoradoBulldog
Reviewed 16 July 2014

A good salad spoiled by an uninspired main course and an obsequious waiter who would NOT lay off upselling grotesquely overpriced liquor.

2  Thank Matt D