“Gorgeous Hotel with excellent food at Block 16 Restaurant”

The Sebastian - Vail
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Sanibel Island, Florida
“Gorgeous Hotel with excellent food at Block 16 Restaurant”
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Stayed at The Sebastian Vail last week with our grown daughter. What a beautiful place, with such friendly, courteous staff, lovely accomodations, and a great in-house restaurant called Block 16. We highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Away from the pool is a bit quieter at times.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank islandcurtis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Chicago
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I too never write hotel reviews, but I was very pleased with my stay at The Sebastian this March 2011. I stayed with my cousin and we purchased the Ski Free Spa Free package. Highly recommended if you are up for a weekend of skiing. The hotel is well situated in the resort village, and only a short walk from the nearest ski lift. The hotel offers a very convenient storage location for your ski equipment at the base of the ski lift.

Overall the hotel is very nice. Rooms and bathrooms are top notch. Although I would not recommend more than 2 people to a room, since it becomes a bit crowded. The Spa is very nice. Pools and jacuzzis were great. Workout room looks pretty nice too. Staff was great. Breakfast very good. Really, I could not find anything to complain about. I would definitely stay here again on a ski trip to Vail

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank seanjuan
St Albans
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Just spent 8 nights at The Sebastian. It was our first stay in Vail, although we'd skied the mountain a few times when staying elsewhere. Great location right in the village, 5 minutes walk from their very convenient Base Camp, where skis and boots can be stored. They were very helpful taking our kit back and forth to the hotel too, for day trips out to other mountains in the car.
Initially, we were given a central room, overlooking the lobby area, which wasn't great - no natural light, but they moved us as soon as possible to a better room.
The whole place is very cool, but traditional, beautifully decorated.
We did the ski/spa package, which was well worth doing. My only criticism was of The Market for breakfast. It was better than other complimentary breakfasts we've had elsewhere, but the staff seemed pretty unaware, clearing the table while we went up to the buffet more than once. There is reasonable variety, but the same each day, and not worth it if you're paying for it.
Block 16 was excellent for dinner once, with it's own atmosphere. I would normally opt to eat outside my hotel, but it was a very good option.
Nice outside area with hot tubs, pool and fire pit. Busy with spring break kids, but I imagine great when it's quieter.
I would certainly return to The Sebastian, and would recommend it. We've stayed in some of the best hotels worldwide and this was one of our best ski hotel experiences.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Jenks58
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I stayed at The Sebastian March 4-8 2011, and I never write reviews, but this place was so great I had to tell everyone. From the second we pulled into the valet, I was impressed. The Sebastian is situated on 16 Vail Rd. which is right in the heart of Vail Village. Before entering the building our check-in process had begun. The valet/doorman asked my name, and by the time I was to the front desk and was warmed by the double sided fireplace my key was ready along with an explanation about the amenities and the details of our ski-free spa-free package (THE BEST DEAL IN VAIL). The girls at the front desk were very welcoming and made me feel comfortable right away. Even though I arrived an hour before check in time, they didn't even mention it.
The room was great, comfortable, spacious, nicely decorated, along with great bath robes and an espresso machine!. Breakfast at the Market was just what I needed to start the day, with the freshest of fruits, home-made granola, eggs, bacon, potatoes, french toast, etc. and fast and friendly service. Ski valet at base camp is the way to go. Friendly knowledgeable staff go the extra mile to make sure you get exactly what you need and give trail advice. The location could not be more convenient, literally 20 yards away from the lift. The bartenders at Frost were on it, and made us great drinks and conversation. The front desk staff and concierge helped me with everything from finding a safety pin for a broken zipper, to helping me fax an important document. They helped with info on weather conditions and the best places to eat and drink. The spa was fantastic and I got an amazing massage followed by hot ten minutes in the steam room.
The jacuzzi and pool area were great. Right along side an out door fire pit, that made a 20 degree night seem toasty. What more can I say? Every single staff member that I had an encounter with made me like the place more and more. My only question: Why isn't this place rated 5 stars??? IT IS IN MY BOOK! And I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank bobsbrain
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 March 2011

This was our third trip to Vail. We stayed at the Lodge at Vail the past 2 years and decided to try the Sebastian this trip and booked their "Ski Free, Spa Free" package for 6 nights. Although we were initially hesitant about trying somewhere new and further from the Vista Bahn lift, we were thrilled with the location, amenities, and accommodations at The Sebastian. The complimentary slopeside ski and boot storage (located below the Tap Room) was literally "ski in- ski out". At the end of each day, we skiied directly to the back door to drop off our skis, boots, and poles before making the 5 minute walk back to The Sebastian. The lobby is a beautiful, open space that is definitely chic and trendy, while still maintaining a very comfortable, inviting vibe. It immediately feels younger and hipper than other hotels in Vail Village but, at the same time, has a high level of sophistication. The pool/ hot tub area is very nice with a wonderful outdoor fireplace and comfortable chairs. There are 4 hot tubs; however, only 2 or 3 worked during our 1 week visit. It seemed like they could not get all 4 to work simultaneously. This was not a problem; however, each hot tub was large and could accommodate many guests. Each morning we enjoyed the breakfast buffet in "The Market", which served a nice combination of both lighter and heavier options. We also picked up dinner in "The Market" one night and took it downstairs to the Lobby to watch the Oscars. My husband's burger was "one of the best he's ever eaten", and my wood-fired pizza was also delicious. Our "Deluxe Plaza Room" was very clean, comfortable, spacious, and quiet. The staff and concierge were very attentive and friendly. Each person made us feel special and appreciated. I truly cannot say enough good things about The Sebastian, and I would highly recommend it to a friend. I hope to stay there again next year.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AK0027
philadelphia
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Great experience with excellent service and amenities. The huge fireplace lobby and library is so comfortable and cozy. Love the great new bar "Frost" which is very upbeat but intimate too.
The brand new hot tub area outside is one of the best I have ever seen. Everyone sits around in the evening in their robes at the hot tubs and huge gas fire place. Great breakfast at the "Market". We did not eat in Block 16, the fine dining restaurant but other guests had possitive comments. It is a easy pleasant walk through the village to the ski valet service. Very new and facilities which were not yet completed.Vail's- 1st ever doughnut bake shop due to open next week will be next the ski valet and run by Sebastian.The place will smell great when putting on skis. Hope the valet guests are given free doughnut holes!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kbarrett
carmel, IN
Reviewed 16 February 2011

Stayed at the Sebastian for a ski trip. Picked it out because it looked like a nice upscale hotel with plenty of amenities. Was impressed by hotel appearance and upkeep. Front desk staff very pleasant. Not quite as close to the lifts as I initially thought, but took hotel van service to lifts in the mornings and the walk we had back to the hotel in the afternoons wasn't too bad. Other nice thing that we used was their DVD rental self service (located in their business center) several nights and they had a good selection of movies.
First problem was room service. The first night we were there my husband wanted a basic cheeseburger and we ordered from room service. The description of the burger was completely different from the burger received. Covered with carmelized onions and fairly unappetizing for the price. I felt my meal was also disappointing for the price paid.
Second issue was room cleaning. The first day we were out, I mistakenly left the 'do not disturb' sign on the door. By the time we got back that afternoon I didn't expect a room cleaning and it wasn't a big deal. The next day however, no one came to clean our room despite no sign on door. We ran into a maid, and she said she would come by later when we were out to dinner. No such luck. Didn't get our room cleaned until the next morning. Last problem was with room keys not working and having to get new ones from the desk twice. Also not very quiet. Had a room on the inner courtyard and could hear the restaurant/bar through the night.
Overall, I've had similar individual problems at other hotels from time to time but it seemed like more issues than usual for a single stay. I wouldn't want to recommend this hotel because I don't think it's as good as it looks.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple