“somewhat satisfied”

Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Los Angeles, California
“somewhat satisfied”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband and I chose the Sebastian for a romantic holiday ski trip. After 5 days there, I can safely say that this is an aggressively average hotel and nothing like what the glowing reviews here may suggest.

Let's start with what was done right:
1. The Sebastian has a great location in Vail Village in easy walking distance from the lifts, food and shopping.
2. The valets at the hotel and at Base Camp were all helpful and accommodating. Base Camp (a mountainside ski valet) in and of itself is a fantastic idea and makes it possible for skiers to walk to/from the lifts in their walking shoes.
3. Check in was quick and efficient. I appreciated how the front desk clerk greeted us and reviewed the details of our package.

Now for things that could have been done better:
1. The rooms were clean enough - when they were actually cleaned. The rooms themselves are functional/adequate but nowhere near beautiful or luxurious. Housekeeping and turndown service occurred sporadically and at inappropriate times. There were times when we returned to our room in the early afternoon (when the room still had not been cleaned) and housekeeping would stop by just after the lifts had closed for the day when most people are back in their rooms to relax and get cleaned up. The same timing issues occurred with turndown service, which always stopped by just before dinner and not in the evenings when guests are likely to be away from their rooms and out in the village.
2. Our dinner at Leonora, the hotel's restaurant, was good but started off on the wrong foot. We showed up on time for our dinner reservation to a restaurant that was empty (other than one large business dinner party). The hostess promptly offered us a high two-top in the bar by the entrance rather than any one of the available, empty booths. When I insisted on a booth, the hostess accommodated us easily enough. That said, these seats should have been offered in the first place. What was more infuriating was that the restaurant was not full when we left, either.

And finally, an example of something done wrong:
1. Lying to guests about the availability of late check out. My husband and I had booked a late return flight on our last day in Vail. I had requested late check out several times, including the week before our stay and on the day of our arrival. Both times I was informed that my request could be accommodated and that I should place my request the day before check-out. As instructed, I stopped by the front desk on our last night to place one final request for a late check out. The front desk clerk quickly informed me that there was no availability or flexibility for a later check out as the hotel was "fully booked". We were disappointed but made arrangements for our bags to be stored with the valet on our last day while we tried to enjoy our last day in Vail before flying back home. Imagine my disappointment when, while waiting in the lobby for my husband to finish his last morning of skiing, I noticed several couples and a few families who were able to check out hours later than the posted check out time. That plus the fact that the hotel was clearly nowhere near full was the final straw that left a sour taste in my mouth. What a crappy ending to an average stay! Instead of enjoying my last day in Vail, I spent my morning rushing around to get us checked out only to sit on a couch in the front lobby and watch other people who got to enjoy a nice last morning and late afternoon check out.

...Needless to say, we don't plan on returning to this hotel. Vail - yes, but to the Sebastian - no. I'm sure you can find a comparable hotel for a cheaper price or stay at a hotel with better service for the same price. It's too bad for the Sebastian, as they've lost the business of two avid skiers and travelers who could have been loyal customers. Take it from someone who regularly stays at the best hotels in the world (Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Capella, One and Only, etc.) - go somewhere else if you're looking for a luxury experience and 4-star treatment.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank E_R_K_8
alynch84, Guest Relations Manager at The Sebastian - Vail, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear ERK8,

Thank you for breaking down the areas that we did well and and where we fell down. As you can see by our other reviews this is not a common occurrence and it should not have happened to you. We apologize.

We obviously need to coach our new associates better on the late check out options. If we are able to accommodate a late check out, we try and do this. This is very difficult to confirm at time of reservation and should be able to be addressed to the front desk prior to check-out. This part of the service delivery that part was handled appropriately by the associate. What was not handled

As a reminder, we have a residence club incorporated into The Sebastian and the "guests" you were seeing lobby could have been owners or our summit club members. As an owner or summit club member at The Sebastian or another at Timbers Resorts property you have priority on early check in and check out. As I do not know the exact dates of your stay it is difficult for me to comment further than that. If you were staying in December we run an average of 80+ percent occupancy so there are many days we are sold out and unable to accommodate. Again not sure of your dates and am happy to discuss.

We would love to discuss with you directly how we can recover from the issue you experienced in house keeping inconsistencies. This should not have happened.

I may be reached at 970.477.8017 so we can discuss it. The last thing we want to do is lose repeat customers. Thank you for taking the time to review us and I hope to hear form you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
New Canaan, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Vail is one of my favorite ski destinations. There are now many lodging options in the area but The Sebastian is by far in a class by itself. The property compares to any 5 star property but is relatively small and intimate. The service was impeccable! I look forward to my return visit next winter.

Room Tip: The fifth floor condos are spacious and beautifully appointed. They are a great option for families...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
countryside
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My fiance surprised me with a trip to Vail and wanted the stay to be just right. We visited a few other hotels after visiting this hotel first. Hands down, this hotel is the nicest by far! It was my first visit to Vail and the staff was so friendly and accomodating. We were able to enjoy a nice glass of wine at the bar, before having dinner. It was very romantic and we even enjoyed the hot tub after hours, while it was snowing! A memory I will never forget! We enjoyed their comfy beds, snacks and gorgeous views from our king size room. We will definately want to stay more nights when we visit again!

Room Tip: Corner suite to see the mountains, overlooking I-70, on the third floor!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Wonderful hotel! The sebastian is a lovely hotel in a great location, but thier staff and service is what will make your stay! It is very rare to find a hotel with type of serivce at any price let alone an afforable price! Thank you so much for making our get away to vail so wonderful! Stay here if you want to see what 5 star service really means! You will not be let down :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We just completed our 3rd stay at The Sebastian and have never been disappointed. The service is amazing and the cleaniness is impeccable. The kids have really enjoyed the pool/ hot tubs as well as the Tykes Room, and the adults have truly enjoyed Frost, the beautiful hotel bar. The amazing service extended to their Base Camp ski shop at the base of the ski mountain. All of our ski equipment was immediatly taken directly from our car to the shop and the rentals we needed were a breeze with the attentive staff. It took 5 minutes to get my son fitted for equipment and we were out the door.
We are already looking forward to our next trip!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
alynch84, Director of Sales at The Sebastian - Vail, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for your great patronage. It sounds like you have visited us in all seasons which is wonderful. Base Camp offers exceptional ski-in/ski-out access right to Vail Mountain and as you outline you never have to touch your skis except to walk on to Gondola One right out side the door.

Did you get to try Vail's new #4 lift? I heard it was fun. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm Regards, Annie
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This was our second year spending the Thanksgiving weekend at The Sebastian hotel and we were once again blown away by the property and the service. We stayed in a suite with a kitchen and living room which provided plenty of space for the kids and the adults. The rooms where well decorated, quite and the beds were very comfortable and cozy. While this hotel is very modern and chic, it is also puts a high value on being family friendly. They have a dedicated "Tykes" room off of the Market which kept the kids busy with games, puzzles and all kinds of toys which is a huge benefit not seen at many hotels. The staff also know how to take care of their adult guests and are well versed in customer service and meeting special requests.

In addition to all of the hotel amenities, the location of The Sebastian can not be beat as it is in the middle of Vail Village and also easily accessible by car. The hotel is located along the pedestrian walkway thru Vail and is steps away from shopping, dinning and most importantly some of the best skiing in the world.

I would highly recommend this exquisite hotel and look forward to returning!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This boutique beauty sets the standard for any world-class city. The Sebastian is a first-class "Elle Decor" gem amongst the either over the top, or overly campy (or both combined) resorts that make up the Vail lodging community. As if the esthetic appeal of this establishment isn't enough, the customer service takes it to the highest level. A guest of the Sebastian wants for nothing, as it seems that the staff anticipates the thought before it comes to fruition. The hotel's bar, Frost, has the gift of crafting some of the best cocktails that any Manhattan mixologist can put together. Ben, the incredibly talented head bartender/mixologist, will bring tears to your eyes with two of the best bourbon/scotch cocktails ever; "The View", and "The Campfire". In Ben's absence, either Luther or Scotty will make certain not to disappoint.

Oh, did I forget to mention that they serve one of the best, authentic southwestern breakfast dishes I've ever had north or south of the border (served at "The Market" downstairs)? The huevos rancheros with the both house-made, rustic chipoltle salsa and chorizo will send even the non-breakfast eater (like myself) over the edge.

Need a personal assistant that stops at nothing to assure your needs and requests are met anywhere in the area? Catherine, the stellar concierge will not rest until all is right in your world.

Looking forward to our upcoming stay this opening weekend!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cynthia S
Dear Cynthia S. Thank you very much for your kind review. We do pride ourselves on the playful sophistication that our decor offers. It is like nothing else in Vail. Hip.Warm. Social. Frost has become a local favorite just for the great cocktails that you mention and our heart of the village location makes it easy to imbibe as you do not need a car ever.

Thank you and we look forward to your next visit soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vail
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Vail Mountain Lodge
Vail Mountain Lodge
#10 of 30 in Vail

Been to The Sebastian - Vail? Share your experiences!