“Sebastian Vail - Chic modern hotel with many amenities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sebastian - Vail

The Sebastian - Vail
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Vail
Morristown, New Jersey
“Sebastian Vail - Chic modern hotel with many amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

The Sebastian, Vail Colorado, Feb 2-8, 2014, 16 Vail Rd, Vail, CO 81657

We stayed in Vail the week of Feb 15, 2013 and liked it so much we came back again this year, a week earlier.

We came back for Blue Sky Basin, with it's 3 back bowls, the best part of our trip by far. Skiing conditions were great this year. There was a storm the night of Feb 4, and very cold temps but it was sunny, albeit cold, for the rest of the week.

The Hotel:
The Sebastian is an elegant, modern hotel with easy access off I-70 west, a 40-minute drive from Eagle County Regional Airport, or a 2-hour drive mid-week from Denver International airport, depending on weather.

Upsides:
Friendly, competent arrival greeters, front desk and Base Camp staff
Base Camp near Gondola 1 for storing skis, boots, poles
Beautifully appointed rooms
Ample public space, foyer and library with fireplace
Contemporary Bar – Frost has a lively, international crowd
On-Premises Restaurants
Large Computer room
Outdoor Hot tub, pool with fire-pit and Spa
Vacation property ownership in relatively new building
Ability to trade vacation time with other destinations in portfolio

Downsides:
Dining is expensive with smaller portions.
Beware the bar menu which has high prices for skimpy meals: e.g. $16 for 3 tiny mini-sliders!
Limited seating in the Frost Bar or the Library for televised events:
Both areas have 48-50” flat screen TV’s on the wall, viewable from tables and bar seats.
During the Super Bowl and Winter Olympics, large parties would not relinquish seats in either area.
During off hours, the TV in the library displays a video of flames. Why not display the news?

History:
Vail Mountain base is at 8,120 feet, maximum elevation is 11,570 feet, with a 3,450 vertical drop.

Vail ski resort was founded by a local rancher, Earl Eaton, and Pete Siebert, who served in the U.S. Army’s 10th mountain division during World War II, which trained at Camp Hale, southeast of Vail. The ski area opened with 2 Chairlifts, 1 Gondola, and a $5. Lift ticket. The history of the 10th is interesting. These soldiers came back to Vail to develop the ski resort.

The first thing that strikes you is how vast and beautiful the resort is. Vail has 5,000 skiable acres, 33 lifts, 193 marked trails on 3 faces, the front side, the Back Bowls, and Blue Sky Basin.

Vail Village is primarily upscale, with a variety of shopping, dining, and nightlife, from fine dining to informal bars, pubs, coffee and breakfast shops.

Be sure to dinner reservations well in advance of your stay. There is a lively nightlife in Vail.

The atmosphere of Sebastian is low key, modern elegance. You arrive at a massive stone entrance, where a concierge is waiting to take your bags, and transport your skis and poles to Sebastian’s private “Base Camp” next to Gondola 1.

It’s a short walk through town from the Sebastian to Base Camp. Just put on your boots, pick up your skis and walk to the lift. Seating is comfortable; there are Men’s and Women’s bathrooms and limited refreshments. You can rent, demo or buy skis. There is a small selection of ski jackets; gloves, hats, hand warmers and other accessories. Blow dryers are on hand to dry out wet boots.

Vail has a strong ski school with group and private lessons. A good hybrid is the “Max 3” group lesson with no more than 3 students of similar skills/goals. It's cost-effective at $190.

We had a double Queen bedroom last year. This year, we had a single Queen bedroom which was ample space for just the two of us. We got a reasonable package from our travel agent, which included 4 days lift tickets, lodging, and flights.

The rooms in have beautiful woodwork throughout. The foyer includes a solid wood front door, wood molding and panels on the ceiling, a double-door wooden closet with bronze handles, and a tall framed mirror. The closet has ample space for 2-3 people. A humidifier and a tea set for the room is stored inside.

The bathroom is very pretty, with a wood vanity, travertine sink set, and large wood mirror. The hotel provides bathrobes, slippers, a blow dryer and bath products.

I didn’t like the pine scent of the shampoo, conditioner and lotion provided by the hotel, which could clash with perfume or scents in your own products.

It would also be a nice touch to have a scale in the bathroom.

There was a slow drain in our bathtub, which took 2 days to take care of. We finally spoke to the front desk and it was fixed immediately.

The bedroom / living area has a big entertainment center with flat screen TV, a Nespresso coffee maker with cups and a snack tray, and a small refrigerator large enough to store sandwiches and drinks.

A downside is there is no microwave in the room. For hungry skiers, this is a necessity and the Sebastian should consider providing them.

Every morning a package of cookies freshly baked in the hotel is left by the bedside, a real treat to stow away in a backpack or jacket.

Underneath the entertainment center are 3 large drawers for clothing, ample enough for 2-3 people.

The King Bed has a down duvet, hardwood backboard, and 2 hardwood vanities with lamps on either side of the bed. Next to the bed is a large standing lamp and a large leather chair.

Beyond the bedroom area there is a wooden desk with a phone, lamp, mirror, and a window that looks out to condos next door. Solid and sheer curtains are provided for privacy and warmth.

The hotel provides Wi-Fi. We had no problem with in-room connectivity.
Sebastian Guest had 2 bars and AT&T Wireless LTE had 3 bars.

We would definitely stay at the Sebastian again.

Beaver Creek has a wider price range and more lodging with kitchens.

We decided the trade-off is the more vast ski terrain in Vail.

Don’t miss Blue Sky Basin! It’s worth the trip!

Room Tip: The two rooms we had had filtered light. We didn't mind since we are not in the rooms much excep...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blueskybasin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

very good breakfast , nice gym , nic e pools , good service , shuttle to gondola , near village , espce rooms.very good restaurant , we dinner two nights.good tapas and wine list , great bar ! nice fireplace and sofas !

Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Wife and I stayed here for a ski trip this weekend. Service was outstanding and their basecamp service for your ski equipment was so handy. They send your skis over to the Basecamp location by the gondola ahead of you and then send your skis back to the hotel when you're ready to leave. Service was 5 star with everyone asking what they could do to make your visit more memorable. loved it! Enjoyed that it was right in Vail Village!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

My wife and I and our 2 kids (5, 3) stayed 4 nights in Vail in January. We had a fantastic stay! The Hotel lobby is beautiful, especially at night, when you come in from the cold to cozy up on the couch in front of the fire. In the lobby, also, is a classy library. It is a nice place to have a drink. We had a bottle of port and the lobby bar, Frost, was more than happy to supply us glasses.

The 2 double bed room had plenty of space for the family. The rooms had Nespresso coffee makers. Additionally, there were trail mix and pub mix snacks and soda and water in the fridge. These free snacks and beverages were refilled each night at turn-down service. You don't get that at most hotels, so I found it a nice little treat. The negatives: The bathroom is a little small and there was no view from our room, but we did not spend a lot of time in the room anyway. The walk to the room is quite far, with a lot of winding around the hallways.

I spent an afternoon with with kids playing in the Tyke's Room, which has plenty of toys, games, and art activities to occupy kids. Many other parents dropped their kids off with the Tyke's room staff and went skiing. I didn't use the pool but it looked very nice. I also did not eat at any of the restaurants, unfortunately, as friends had made all of our dinner plans. I hope to do so on the next stay because the menus looked great. My wife was attending a conference at the Sebastian and found the conference space very good as well. She thought the snacks supplied were delicious.

The service at the Sebastian was excellent. Check in and check out was seamless. Our room was ready when we arrive, around 1pm. The rooms were kept very clean. The ski valet service was knowledgable, courteous, and could not make things any easier. They fitted all 4 of us for skis and the next morning our gear was waiting for us. The hotel also has SUVs available to drive you to the slopes, shopping, or wherever you need to go. Otherwise, you can walk out the right back door to the bus stop and catch the free bus that circles Vail. Also, right out that back door, is a little Liquor Store, with an excellent selection of beer, wine and spirits. The main drag of the village, with stores, galleries, and restaurants is also right out that back door. Things just could not be more convenient.

Finally, the icing on the cake…my wife left her necklace hanging on the bathroom mirror and did not realize it until we were at the airport. The front desk sent housekeeping up immediately and she got a call back within a few minutes. They had the necklace and would mail it to her. It arrived a few days ago.

Overall, we had a wonderful stay at the Sebastian. The hotel is beautiful and could not make for a more convenient and pleasant stay in Vail. We already are starting to plan our trip back to the Sebastian next winter!

1 Thank JKJKJKEK
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

There's a lot to like about the Sebastian at Vail, CO. But its location and service are hard to beat. In the heart of Vail Village, the Sebastian is steps away from the Gondola. In fact, right next to the entrance, you have a small space where you can rent the ski equipment (they take your measurements), and the next day, you can pick them up from the Sebastian's Basecamp (literally next to the Gondola). Very convenient and efficient, especially if you want to ski early.
Staff is really helpful and welcoming. I especially liked Catherine, the English concierge who told us everything about the ski slopes and recommended the best restaurants for dinner. It definitely helped that she had that typical English humor (which I love). Still, I have to applaud everybody from the front desk personnel, to the hotel manager, to the Spa staff and housekeeping staff.

Our room was a 2 bedroom with nothing really different from other hotel rooms I've been to. The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms pretty clean. However, the carpets were heavily stained (a bit of stains is to be expected in a ski resort, but those carpets needed a revamping).
We were there for a long weekend, so music was played on Friday and Saturday nights in the Frost bar. Being a light sleeper, I had to use my earplugs to be able to get to sleep.
We had breakfast at the Market and dinner at Leonora. Very good food, and even better service.
Hotel rates in Vail are generally very high. That of the Sebastian's is no exception. I'd even say it's slightly overpriced if I compare it to my hotel stay at Whistler Village (which offered us a bigger better room for a lower price at that time).

Overall, I highly recommend the Sebastian if you're heading to Vail for a ski trip. It's for everyone (kids, couples, solo) and they'll make sure you'll have a memorable stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alexis B
Mansfield, ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

My Husband and I have never skied out west before so for our honeymoon we decided to start there and then head to Mexico. I could have stayed in Vail forever!

From start to finish The Sebastian made our trip an absolute dream! Their booking department is small and we dealt with Able the whole time. He was awesome. Able was able to get us an amazing rate for our stay there, followed up with us to make sure everything was satisfactory , and honestly just seemed genuinely excited for us to come there.
The second we arrived and pulled in ( we rented a car and drove from Denver), the Valet was beyond pleasant as well at the front desk staff. By this point we could tell that this hotel prides itself on the happiness of its guests.
Our room was very nice, you don't spend much time in it so we chose to just go with a standard room. The Whole hotel has this rustic chic feel, its has all the essentials to make sure you feel like you're in the Mountains, but also bring in a sort of swanky modern boutique feel ( my husband and I love boutique hotels). The hotel grounds are amazing, every night we spent at least an hour out in one of their outdoor hot-tubs and then by the big fire pit. Its amazing being surrounded by snow mts and lights while outside but being completely comfortable and toasty.
The Frost Bar was great, Their bar manager Ben we immediately clicked with because he was from Boston as well, but that aside he was so beyond friendly, knowledgeable, and you can just tell he truly enjoys the service industry. Ben is absolutely and asset to The Sebastian.
The concierge Morgan was so helpful and friendly, he was able to pull some strings and get us a reservation last minute at one of the most popular restaurants in the area.
Im so mad at myself that I cannot remember his name, but one of the guys who worked the front desk was so above and beyond great too. The maid had accidentally broken my Chanel Perfume while cleaning our room ( accidents happen no big deal). Upon returning from dinner, it was as if he was waiting by the door of the lobby to tell us, but he also had a few solutions for us as well. This was our last night and we were flying out to Mexico early the next morning, they had tried to track a new bottle down for me but it was late and were unable to. They offered to get a bottle as soon as the stores opened in the morning and express it to our hotel in Mexico for me. I was so grateful at the lengths they were willing to go to make sure I was compensated. We opted to just be compensated and save them the hassle.

Few other notes-

Hotel GM is so nice, great to talk to, treats everyone as a special guest ( as does the rest of the staff), Same with the gentleman who runs the functions there. So personable I'm sure planning a wedding with him is a dream!

Food is SO good! Hands down the best burger Ive ever had was at the Frost bar; the Wagyu burger ... HAVE ONE

Sorry if this review was lengthy but I could go on forever about how much I love this hotel and cannot wait to return, You don't know what you are missing until you visit the Sebastian. From both my husband and Myself, Thank you so much to the entire Sebastian family.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha B
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here for 3 weeks in December/January and really liked the place. The staff are very attentive, pleasant and generally a credit to the place. The rooms are good, although not quite as luxurious as described. Don't get me wrong - they are nice - but if you read the website you would think that you are entering the world of the top hotels rooms of the world - they are not quite there.....

The ski valet service is second to none - I have to say it really worked well for me. The short walk to the slope is good for loosening up and then your skis are about as close as they could get to the gondola.

I really liked the breakfast at the Market (separate review done) and the water and fruit service was very nice. I guess part of the resort fee.

So - I would probably come back - unfortunately on my next trip to vail in Feb - the prices were 4 times more than I paid in January so off to try another hotel next trip. I may well regret it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo