“Marginal Stay”

Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Our regular accommodation preferences were unavailable for this last minute trip to Vail so we decided to try the Arrabelle. The location is in Lionshead not to be confused with Vail Village which is a much better location in my opinion. The visit started out poorly as we arrived mid week on a Wednesday afternoon during low season (summer) and the valet parking queue was packed. We waited in our vehicle about 40 minutes just to pull in to the chaotic hotel entrance. We were offered no help with our luggage and I was uncomfortable with the rushed chaotic scene as they left our car running and unattended for about 10 minutes. My husband and I waited until we finally saw a hotel valet person drive the car out of the area. The front desk personnel were cordial but more interested in getting my credit card info versus giving us an overview of the resort and providing directions on how to get to the room. With all our luggage in tow we made an unsuccessful attempt to find our room. We returned to the front desk and a nice women walked with us to the entrance of the building where our room was located so on the second try we found it. We finally got to our room at just after 5:00pm after arriving at 4:00.

We had reserved a 1 bedroom condo and it was beautifully furnished and quite comfortable. It would have been nice to have a bell person introduce us to all the features as we stumbled across these all during our visit (working all the lighting, appliances, electronic equipment, etc.). The location of the condo was marginal as we were on the second floor with no view, no balcony, and hardly any natural lighting due to the shadows of the surrounding buildings. I would have requested a better located unit, but we had to make a 6:15 dinner reservation so no time, and given the front area chaos, I had low expectations any change could be efficiently executed. We has dinner reservations at the Terra Bistro ( highly recommended) and needed a ride. We returned to the valet area which was now quiet and received excellent service as they pulled the hotel car around and gave us a lift to the restaurant. They also gave us an umbrella and the number to call when we finished so they could come get us (great job on this).

Beware of the advertised 'Vail Square', especially if you are seeking a quiet and peaceful atmosphere. They had a jazz band and huge party while we were there. This great if you like noise, and a lot of people milling about right where you are staying.

The room amenities were good and housekeeping did a great job servicing the room. I never saw them, and the room was always clean and well stocked.

Concierge service was ok, but my husband had some trouble booking a tee time. Apparently the concierge did not receive an email message he sent about a tee time confirmation. As soon as we arrived my husband did speak with her, and to her credit she immediately adjusted the booking per his request.

On our last morning we decided to enjoy breakfast at the Tavern (not recommended). It was about 9:00 on a gorgeous Vail morning. The outside patio had all the tables set for service and we witnessed about 4-5 servers standing around. Imagine our surprise when told we could not sit outside as the patio was closed...the hostess said she would go ask the manager if we could sit out there. We waited and waited and finally left to venture into Vail Village where any number of places serve breakfast outside on such a beautiful morning.

Buyer beware: we were charged an additional $90.00 for travel insurance that we neither requested or approved. Thus is some kind of scam so watch your bill carefully! They did remove the charges but we had to tell them to do this.

My husband and I travel extensively (both domestic and international) and feel for what they charge the service needs to better. I shudder to think what the valet area might look line on a busy Friday afternoon during peak ski season. We will not be back.

Overall the staff was pleasant.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with a view and balcony, and facing aware from the square if you do not...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank D T
Jonathan B, General Manager at Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

DT,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback concerning The Arrabelle at Vail Square. Your comments are greatly appreciated and I find your room tip quite relevant as we absolutely want to know every request our guests might have prior to arrival.

In regards to your feedback, I am excited to share with our Housekeeping team your positive remarks concerning their performance. I am, however, disapointed to the see the feedback concerning your initial impression on the front drive. Our valet team is quite celebrated normally and I apologize for the delay in your arrival. Additionally, I am sorry to see these comments surrounding our breakfast service and the journey to your room. I will be sharing this with the team to better understand the circumstances as we are obviously interested in avoiding similar experiences in the future, especially as we strive to exceed expectations. Please accept my apologies.

Although you have shared that you would consider staying elsewhere I do extend to you my contact information as I would hope to turn this impression around. This is not feedback that I am used to hearing and I am confident that we could soften this memory in the future. Please allow me the opportunity to personally oversee your next visit.

Jonathan Brownlee
970.754.7792

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Arrabelle; beautiful hotel in the center of many shops and
Restaurants. The room was wonderful; comfy beds, great service, terrific spa and great
Amenities. In room coffee pot, iPad to get acquainted with everything the hotel and city has to
Offer and great food. The outdoor restaurant overlooks the ski slopes, just breath taking.
We took advantage of the summer rates so we got a great deal. Would love to come back
To ski in the winter but the prices are a little steep. Great place to vacation!

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe room, beautiful and large.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had my wedding reception at The Arrabelle Great Room and it was absolutely beautiful. The great room is a wonderful venue for small weddings of up to 80 people. The rooms at Arrabelle have so much character and charm and the staff is super friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We came to The Arrabelle to take advantage of their golf package at Red Sky Golf Club. We really enjoyed the golf and were amazed by The Arrabelle.
Our room was quite large, with a wonderful bed, terrific wall mounted flat screen television, very large marble tiled bath with terrific stand alone shower and separate are for the commode. The bathroom was well appointed with another wall mounted television and terrific amenities. I gave always thought that the Four Seasons folks had the best bathrooms - I now know they have competition on that front.
Staff was very friendly and although I normally bristle at "resort fees" this time it provided much needed valet parking and terrific WIFI service in the room.
All in all, if we are ever back this way (and I know we will be) we are definitely staying with these folks again and I strongly recommend that you do the same!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Martin W
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The team was incredible from the moment I walked in. Planning a wedding can be stressful but, Briitany the director of catering made everything go smoothly and assisted in making every moment enjoyable. Judith was so helpful with recommending flowers and other associates that will make our wedding even more special. I sat down with her and it felt like I was talking to a great friend who really cared. The ambiance of the hotel always makes me want to come back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Scott F
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is exceptional! The staff, the accommodations, the location, the amenities, the restaurant are all exceptional. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone at any time of the year whether traveling for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lori M
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Had an amazing long weekend at the Arrabelle, staff, rooms, accessibility were all fantastic. Love the pool, fridge in room, fresh filtered water. Would definitely return if pricing is still in the same range!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple