“Relaxing and Quaint Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Vail
Elgin
“Relaxing and Quaint Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Sonnenalp was a wonderful resort. Great location in Vail with fantastic service. The turn-down service with a soft cookie and cold water was a nice touch. Rooms were comfortable and quiet. The bathroom was luxurious, I loved the heated marble floors! We enjoyed relaxing by the fireplace. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Vail.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Thank you for staying with us and posting your beautiful photographs.
I am happy to read that your stay was so enjoyable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

I love this resort. It is upscale with a relaxed atmosphere. My husband and I were very comfortable. Every aspect of the service was excellent. Our room was fabulous, with wonderful views of the garden, the most comfortable hotel bed I have every been in, wonderful amenities. I really appreciated the turn-down service with a fresh bottle of water and fresh baked cookies each night. I would light the gas fireplace and enjoy my cookie thinking what I would be doing if I were home right now....oh how I love vacation. The Spa was so relaxing. I felt like the pool and hot tub was an oasis surrounded by the aspen trees, lovely wild flowers with the sound of the waterfall and creek in the back ground. We used the exercise room each day and also treated ourselves to a massage...heavenly. I appreciated the small touches in the spa, such as the fresh apples/oranges that you could help yourself to and the fresh water with either lemon, orange or lime. I spent at least 2 hours each day in this spa oasis and enjoyed every minute of it. The location is perfect. In the middle of Vail, you can walk to everything. I would recommend this property and I will stay there every time I go to Vail.

1 Thank SunDoc
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Thank you for sharing your special anniversary with us. We strive for Sonnenalp to be a place for special occasions, different from a place you might find anywhere.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

We have stayed at the Sonnenalp several times, both winter and summer. Just returned from a week there for our summer vacation. The hotel is right in Vail Village, and we enjoyed a room with a balcony overlooking Gore Creek and the mountain, and surrounded by lovely aspen trees.

Staying at the Sonnenalp is really a part of the vacation experience. It is luxury and charm all together. Forget the commercial "luxury chains." This hotel is a genuine Bavarian design in architecture and appointments. Look for the beautiful wood carvings along the ceilings and walls of various spaces.

It's obvious why this property is among the Luxury Hotels of the World. Outstanding service is consistent among all of its staff that you come into contact with. A delicious European breakfast buffet. Elegant dining at Ludwig's (winter season). A comfy bar that lures you into a nightcap. The casual open-air Bully Ranch restaurant attracts patrons from outside the hotel, too. Elegant Frette towels, robes and bedding.

You will see the owner, Johannes, a fourth generation hotelier, watching over the property. And, and he likes to meet his guests.

If you're a golfer, play the challenging Sonnenalp course, and also enjoy panoramic mountain views. It's about a 20-minute drive from the hotel, and the club is run equally as well the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Gore Creek.
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Thank you for nice comments.
We will continue to make Sonnenalp truly different and special both through the look and design of our facilities and through our engaged and dedicated team. I hope to see you again soon.
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

We just spent 4 days at this incredible hotel in the middle of Vail. We'd had breakfast there years ago and knew we wanted to stay there sometime. We now consider it the best hotel in Vail. It's so well run - the views are awesome - it's within walking distance to just about any restaurant or shopping you could desire. The pool area was absolutely perfect next to the creek and under the Aspens. So very peaceful! We looked forward to breakfast every morning because of the food and the glass room and patio. The spa and our services there were the best I've had in any hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor overlooking the pool and creek - there were no noise issues at all.
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Thank you for your review.
Vail is a wonderful village and we are lucky to have such a premier location. Close to everything and yet secluded and sheltered by gore creek and beautiful mountain landscape. I am glad you enjoyed your time here.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed over a weekend to just get away into the mountains from the heat. The Sonnenalp was the perfect choice. It is lovely! There are several areas, both inside and outside of the resort, where you can just sit back and relax! The breakfast buffet is FANTASTIC! You will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed August 2012
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Thank you for your review.
I am happy you so much enjoyed our breakfast on our creek side terrace. It truly is a magical venue during the summer months.
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Having frequented the Vail Valley for more than 30 years, I have come to find the Sonnenalp Resort of Vail to be one of the finest resort experiences available. Centrally located in Vail, you are moments away from fine dining, shopping, bike paths and hiking. We enjoyed the Farmers Market on Sunday morning just outside the Resort.

From the warmth of the staff upon arriving; Valet (happy to wash your vehicle should it need attention) to Front Desk welcome; the Bed & Breakfast approach (cozy warm and welcoming) to our stay, for our most recent 5 day stay was wonderful. There are a number of rooming choices and we elected the Blue Spruce Suite which is the smallest suite available. Quite comfortable for 2 of us with a King bed. The thread count of the sheets is amazing and the marble bathroom with 2 sinks, separate shower and king sized tub-wonderful. Each night turn down is provided with warm cookies, robes and slippers provided. The wireless used to be complimentary and is now $11 per 24 hours-while unfortunate-a sign of the times I suppose. Our suite had its own gas fireplace and a view to the Gore Creek out our balcony window-quiet and soothing at night to hear the white noise of the creek from our open window.

The gourmet breakfast buffet can be included with a room package and is highly recommended. You may order certain items such as eggs benedict and made to order omelets with your server. They also have gluten free options-waffles, French Toast etc. The outdoor atrium for breakfast over looks Gore Creek and is beautiful.

Kings Court is a bar and entertainment venue. We enjoyed appetizers and drinks each evening by the large firelplace prior to heading out to dinner. The appetizers are substantial so order sparingly but amazing with the mushroom Quesidilla being one of our favorites. Ian, the bartender is engaging and the staff who support Kings Court are excellent in the service department. We enjoyed live music 3 of the 4 nights we stayed and enjoyed the after dinner scene prior to heading up to our suite.

The Spa is intimate but first rate- 80 minute massage was wonderful. The workout facility is modest in size as well but well equipped with all the usual suspects and free weights. Complimentary Yoga is offered as well on most days. The pool is both inside and outside with matching hot tubs. All in pristine condition.

Bully Ranch which is a restaurant within the Sonnenalp, was the weakest link of the resort as we had 2 lunches that were a "B-". Our fish tacos were not cooked completely and the service was not the A+ effort we experiened everywhere else at the resort. A small blemish to an otherwise wonderful experience. For an intimate, first rate resort experience in the Vail Valley, I would highly recommend The Sonnenalp Resort.

thank you your review.
I appreciate all you nice comments but also you feedback on the Bully Ranch.
We will pay partcular attention to those items in the future.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Luxury hotel chains seek to compete against each other by offering more marble and higher sheet thread counts. To a degree, I have bought into that marketing. However, on our recent stay at the Sonnenalp, I learned that a truly memorable stay is tied to the warmth and graciousness of the staff. The Sonnenalp appears to understand this more than perhaps any other hotel with which I have stayed. Everyday of our stay, the staff of the Sonnenalp warmly said hello to me by name and did all they could to ensure that our stay was exceptional. The restaurant staff was especially gracious and personable. I noticed that one restaurant staff person always stood scanning the room in the event that a guest needed something. That sums up well the level of vigilant service provided by every staff person at the Sonnenalp. We stayed at the resort for a family wedding, which was spectacular -- the setting was beautiful (alongside a cold-water stream shaded by pines), the food superb (not an exaggeration), and the experience was unforgettable. We will have to find the time to stay again. We really enjoyed our stay. It was truly memorable. Don't pass up the breakfast -- every detail of which appears to have been exceptionally prepared by the chef. There will alway be a new, lavish resort. I have attended many. But I cannot say of many of them what I can say about the Sonnenalp -- that my stay was unforgettable.

Room Tip: The location of the hotel is superb and shielded from traffic. As a result, I don't think that...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MarkK_12
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Thank you for your comments.
We consider ourselves fortunate to have a wonderful team of dedicated employees and I could not agree more that it is them that make all the difference. This is what we intend to make the Sonnenalp Experience different. I am happy that our team succeeded.