“Always a treat to visit the Sonnenalp”
Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We brought two other couples with us and just knew they would enjoy their stay. Impecable service and style found throughout the hotel. After a hike up the mountains it was really pleasant to take a dip in the indoor/outdoor pool and the cooler September evenings meant we could enjoy a fireside seat in the bar. The rooms are beautifully decorated in an Austrian style. The beds are comphy and the fluffy duvets made for a great nights sleep. I vote it my favourite place in Vail yet again!

Room Tip: Ask for a creekside view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

Thank you for your kind review.
I am happy you enjoyed this wonderful Colorado September with us and found the Sonnenalp to be a treat. We will be there for you next time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed 13 September 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sonnenalp for four nights while he attended a conference at the resort. At check in we were upgraded to a fabulous Bald Mountain Suite. We travel quite a bit and hotels tend to blend together after a while, but this one stands out. I loved the rustic Bavarian decor and the attention to detail everywhere. Also, you can't beat the location. Stores and restaurants are just around the corner and Lionshead is an easy (and beautiful) ten minute walk away.

Sonnenalp makes an effort to be eco friendly without being ridiculous. The same toiletries that are used in the spa are provided in clean, refillable bottles in the room (side note: I almost never give up my products for those in a hotel, but really enjoyed these). Water is also provided every day in sanitized glass bottles. Even the room keys are made from sustainable wood, a nice touch.

The staff here is very attentive and polite. They were happy to answer any questions I had about town and the hotel. We ate lunch every day in Ludwig's with the rest of the conference attendees. Service was quick and efficient, the food was excellent, and I appreciated that we were served appropriately sized portions. The corn and sweet basil soup was especially delicious!

Our suite was very comfortable. I liked to relax in the late afternoon in front of the gas fireplace. The bed linens were nice and the mattress was excellent. The ONLY less than perfect aspect was that we found the pillows to be rather flat and lumpy and had to pull the spares out from the closet to double up.

I found the spa to be very relaxing and was sorry I didn't venture down until the third day. The pool, hot tub, and sauna are very nice. I got the custom 50-minute facial and was pleased with the results. Tip: the spa has a great menu perfect for a late lunch.

My husband and I have already started to plot how soon we can come back for a retreat. Thank you, Sonnenalp!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank texastraveler365
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2012

Thank you for this nice review.
I appreciate all your comments (including the pillow one) and will definately follow up.
We are all looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

This was our third or fourh visit to this fabulous alpine oasis. Bavarian charm, mountain elegance, outstanding staff, truly nothing negative to say. We upgraded to a suite upon check in. Had a roomy lodgepole suite overlooking the village. We actually liked this suite over the next level suite we stayed in previously as it was a pinch smaller but better layout (you can easily watch tv in bed). Love turning on the fireplace on cool evenings. Comfy large beds, giant luxury bathroom with heated floor, nighttime turn down service with cookies! Two tips: get breakfast included with your room, its an amazing spread, and in summer and early fall you can park for free in the Vail village garage about two blocks away. I have been lucky to have stayed in many luxury hotels, this is my ultimate favorite, it's the only hotel that makes me sad to leave, and I'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank MelvinaSt.Louis

Thank you for returning to the Sonnenalp.
We love being your favorite hotel and will make sure to keep it that way.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Sonnenalp is a replica of a beautiful Austrian lodge. In the heart of Vail, it is really a great homebase for all vail activities. Easy to walk to
everywhere, or take the free city bus. I love this lodge.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have been going to Vail long before the Sonnenalp was built in 1979. It has a European feel and has a wonderful staff. The food is good and my wife enjoyed the spa. I usually only review unique hotels and resorts. The only reason I did not give Sonnenalp 5 stars was because they charge for WiFi. Common on guys, who does not now need WiFi? In a high price hotel, I don't like to pay $11/day for WiFi. Just charge a little more per day for our room and eliminate the irritation of paying for something we all want and use.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your stay and review.
I glad to read that you enjoyed the european feel and atmosphere of the Sonnenalp. It is what we work very hard to achieve and make a point of distinction of.
I noted your comments about the internet charge. We made a large investment into our system to provide state of the art speed and reliability. We chose to charge for use rather than increase our rates across the board or add a resort fee.
Based on your feedback and feedback from other guest you will find our system changed this fall to hopefully address you concerns.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Sonnenalp was a wonderful resort. Great location in Vail with fantastic service. The turn-down service with a soft cookie and cold water was a nice touch. Rooms were comfortable and quiet. The bathroom was luxurious, I loved the heated marble floors! We enjoyed relaxing by the fireplace. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Vail.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and posting your beautiful photographs.
I am happy to read that your stay was so enjoyable.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I love this resort. It is upscale with a relaxed atmosphere. My husband and I were very comfortable. Every aspect of the service was excellent. Our room was fabulous, with wonderful views of the garden, the most comfortable hotel bed I have every been in, wonderful amenities. I really appreciated the turn-down service with a fresh bottle of water and fresh baked cookies each night. I would light the gas fireplace and enjoy my cookie thinking what I would be doing if I were home right now....oh how I love vacation. The Spa was so relaxing. I felt like the pool and hot tub was an oasis surrounded by the aspen trees, lovely wild flowers with the sound of the waterfall and creek in the back ground. We used the exercise room each day and also treated ourselves to a massage...heavenly. I appreciated the small touches in the spa, such as the fresh apples/oranges that you could help yourself to and the fresh water with either lemon, orange or lime. I spent at least 2 hours each day in this spa oasis and enjoyed every minute of it. The location is perfect. In the middle of Vail, you can walk to everything. I would recommend this property and I will stay there every time I go to Vail.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SunDoc
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

Thank you for sharing your special anniversary with us. We strive for Sonnenalp to be a place for special occasions, different from a place you might find anywhere.