“If you want to get pampered visit the Sonnenalp in Vail CO”
Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I love traveling and have stayed at my share of Hotels all over the world but the Sonnenalp in Vail never fails to amaze me. The staff, the service, the condition of the rooms, its like a little city where nothing is missed. Don't miss it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Phyllis U
Write a ReviewReviews (1,091)

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I have stayed in several different properties in Vail and other nearby resorts. The Sonnenalp is without question my favorite. Forget the Marriott, Four Seasons and Ritz -- this is where you want to stay.

Pros:
- Classic European styling down to every detail. Close your eyes and open them in the hotel. You would think you were in the Alps
- Phenomenal spa and pool area. Serene. Great indoor pool with entry to a great outdoor pool area
- Service -- here it's about what do you want / need. I asked the front desk a question about our stay -- instead of answering "this is what we can do", they answered "what would you like".
- Great location in the heart of vail
- Great rooms and furnishings. Turn down service was impeccable
- Great restaurants

Cons:
- Only one I can think of was that the bar was understaffed on Saturday night. A wedding had just let out and they did not have enough servers

Room Tip: Try the King Suites if you can get one.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zmoba96
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Thank you so much for your amazing review!

We always strive to achieve the highest level of service for all of our guests and I am so happy you enjoyed your time with us.

I hope to personally welcome you back to the Sonnenalp in the near future.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

This hotel is right in Vail Village and steps from fine dining, shopping, entertainment and the mountain. The service was superb. The bell men were top notch, every need was attended to and the concierge recommendations were great. Our daughter loved the live music in the evening. The pianist/singer was very talented. The accommodations were roomy, elegant and comfortable. We enjoyed our stay and will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MountainGalCO
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed in a junior suite and were floored when we saw the bathroom. It was easily as large as some hotel rooms in major cities.
The staff (everyone from the valet, front desk staff, concierge, to housekeeping) were friendly and accommodating. I called in advance to see if there was an HDMI hookup on the TV, and they had a room ready for us with an unlocked TV when we arrived. They gave great advice for sightseeing, and the nightly turndown service included amazing cookies!

The location was second to none, vail village offers plenty to see and do without needing transportation. Because this was the off-season, we ended up eating at the hotel more than we expected due to closures, but not to worry, everything was above the standard hotel restaurant level of quality.
Breakfast buffet at Ludwig's was worth every cent (I find hotel breakfasts to be tremendously overpriced, usually). We ate at the bully ranch on two late nights and had good meals, but the star of the weekend was definitely the fondue at the Swiss Chalet.
All in all we had a wonderful time and were sad to go, especially when we saw what equivalent money got us in Denver on the last night of our trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Sonnenalp!

I am overjoyed to read about your great experience and thrilled you were satisfied with our service. It is truly a priority that we provide the highest level of service in the Vail Valley.

I hope to personally welcome you back to the Sonnenalp in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Excellant rooms with a staff that is friendly and give Excellant service! The very best in every way! Do not miss staying here or having something to eat or drink! The location is also Excellant. Breakfast is very good and rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

A wonderful stay, great service, delicious breakfast & morning coffee, comfortable spaces. I was there for a wedding and enjoyed having everything so close by. The entire space was really well-suited for for the wedding. It was perfect. Next time, I'll be sure to book a massage while I'm there, and perhaps just stay a few days longer. A friend if mine kept saying, “I just want to live here.”

Room Tip: I had a junior suite on the 3rd floor just above the entrance and it was great. I slept with the win...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. A wedding here at the Sonnenalp is truly a special occasion.

I am so happy to read that we met your expectations.

I hope to welcome you back to Vail in the near future. Hopefully you will get a chance to enjoy our Spa next time!

Reviewed 27 May 2013

We were at the Sonnenalp for a wedding on Memorial Day weekend this year and were quite impressed with this mid-sized idyllic Vail mountain retreat. They have a beautiful pool area (indoor/outdoor) surrounded by Aspen and Evergreens, with Gore Creek running by the edge of the property.

As a family on a budget, we were looking to keep our expenditures under control and were very pleased to find daily specials at their onsite restaurants. We ate at the Bully Ranch and had an excellent meal there. The interior library and lounges were very cozy and we enjoyed the Bavarian décor.

Probably most importantly, the staff here was truly exceptional. My wife has Celiac disease and has to eat gluten free meals. The staff was very friendly and happy to advise us (and research) both on-site and off-site restaurants as to the availability of gluten free entrees. We loved our stay and plan to come back in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family