“Lovely Stay in Vail”
Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This was our first visit to Vail. I reserved our room based on TripAdvisor reviews, and was well-advised. The hotel was lovely, rooms warm and cozy, staff was GREAT, location excellent. Breakfast buffet was beautiful, but as we came down late, some of the items had obviously been sitting out a bit too long, i.e., the Eggs Benedict. Wait staff was very attentive. Only a couple minor complaints re our room: the bed had a nice duvet, but when we were too warm for that, there was no top sheet on the bed to cover with. And the bathroom shower (room 307) needed to be cleaned of some mold in the corners. For a luxury hotel, this shouldn't have been an issue.
Would definitely recommend this hotel for Vail visitors.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tricie
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Sonnenalp! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Vail Valley in the near future.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Outstanding in all respects. Luxury, superb and friendly service and a great location in Vail village. Large comfortable rooms. Our deal included free breakfast - this was excellent, buffet style with lots of choice. The berries and muesli we had were delicious. Highly recommended - but not cheap.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the first time last weekend and starting with the reservations process all the way to checkout four days later, this stay was a great experience. The hotel itself is centrally located, and the whole interior including the rooms make you feel you are somewhere in the European alps. The staff, which is mostly European as well, does a wonderful job, courteous and customer focused at all times, providing excellent service. Valet and luggage service were prompt on check-in and check-out, and our Concierge proved to be invaluable with his restaurant recommendations and hiking trail info, including printouts of trail descriptions and topo maps. Did I mention breakfast? Second to none I have had in any hotel and a nice outside terrace to sit on overlooking the creek, woods and pool. Wouldn't stay at anywhere else in Vail.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2013

As to be expected the rooms are not cheap and only include basic amenities. We stayed for a wedding we were in with our young son. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. They maybe go a little too far with the cleaning of the rooms, but it's a nice touch. Water and cookies were delivered to our room in the evening and beds turned down. The pool seemed nice, though we didn't get a chance to use it. The location was perfect, easy walking distance to anything. All the staff at the hotel is what made the stay so wonderful. The car porters/ concierge/ bell hop were awesome (and very patient!). I would go back (especially if I had a coupon!)! The added bonus was the oxygen bar for the out of town guests who weren't used to the altitude. Nice touch there!

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review of the Sonnenalp! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Talk about excellence this hotel excels. The ambiance is second to none....very European including staff. It offers everything you would want for a stay in Vail including a wonderful spa & fine golf course plus location. We totally recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I recently traveled to Vail for the first time. We loved this hotel so much I cannot imagine staying anywhere else. The rooms were spacious and well-cared for; the staff amazingly attentive; in and of itself, our bathroom was divine, with heated marble floors (didn't really need them this summer, but still ...); and the hotel common areas were just lovely. My husband travels on business all the time and frequently finds even an Omni or Intercontinental a bit shabby - you could call him a hotel snob. I do. As we were leaving the Sonnenalp he told me this was perhaps his favorite place he's ever stayed - and he's traveled the world over.

We stayed in a Mill Creek Suite - one that was all on one level. It had a view of the village, and not a particularly nice one at that. Still, it offered great comfort and plenty of room to spread out. And we loved the refillable water bottles and fresh cookies housekeeping left in the evenings.

We took the breakfast option with our room and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful breakfast buffet every morning. The food was good; the view and attentive waitstaff even better. For a low-key summer vacation, it was the perfect beginning to every day. My thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 214KatieB
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have stayed at the Sonnenalp twice in the past year. I am coming back to Vail in a couple if weeks. I am considering staying somewhere else just to change it up a bit, but my mind keeps coming back to the Sonnenalp.

The property is really warm and charming. The junior suites are spacious and well appointed. I really like that you can open the windows/French doors so that you can get some fresh air. The only negative thing that I can say is that the quilt on the bed was kind of thin and scratchy and could be replaced with something a little more comfortable. I am a big fan of really soft and fluffy bedding in hotels, but overall that is just a minor detail. The bathrooms are amazing, with huge soaking tubs and heated floors. Fresh bottled water in the room is a nice touch.

There are plenty of comfortable places to sit in the lobby/restaurant area to read or people watch, unless there is an conference or meeting going on that make it too crowded and noisy. My favorite part of this hotel is definitely the spa area and pool area. The pool and hot tub are on the edge of Gore Creek. It is so relaxing to sit out there and listen to the water. It is a very natural and beautiful setting. It feels more like you are at a private residence than at a busy hotel in town. You can enjoy the spa area without having to book any treatments. The fitness area is small but has everything that you would want. There is a free Pilates or yoga class every morning that is really enjoyable. They have bikes that you can rent as well.

The staff is very friendly and accommodating. I requested a room change upon check in because the room that was assigned to me was over the entrance and quite noisy during the day. I was recovering from surgery at the nearby Steadman Clinic and wanted something quiter. They were able to find a much better room even though they were quite busy. The concierge staff is always helpful with suggestions on what to do and where to eat. Having a shuttle service was nice because I was unable to walk far distances.

Overall, the Sonnenalp is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ErinR1

Thank you so much for your kind review of the Sonnenalp. I am happy to hear we were able to accommodate you during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, hopefully this time for leisure purposes!