“Great Location, Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Denver, Colorado
“Great Location, Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife has wanted to stay at the Sonnenalp Hotel for many years, so this year we booked three nights during "mud" season (after the ski season is over). During this time of year they have some great rates. The hotel is like walking into a Swiss Bavarian lodge, you feel warm, comfortable and welcome. The Valet staff and Front Desk staff are friendly, professional and make you welcome immediately. Our rooms was comfortable, beds were great and the fireplace was nice to have on the cool mornings and evenings. My wife loved the hugh soaking bathtub and I liked the large walk-in glass shower. Lots of hangers and drawers for storing clothes. We ate breakfast each morning in the Ludwig Dining room and the buffet was just what we needed to start our day. We preferred to sit in the more formal Swiss dinning area and received excellent service each morning from our waiter Ram, a friendly and efficient waiter from Nepal. Each day we enjoyed the indoor and outdoor hot tubs and the pool in the spa area which was always very clean. We also enjoyed a relaxing massage one rainy afternoon. The Bully Ranch was our choice for dinner one evening and I had huge cheeseburger with hot fresh french fries. The Bully Ranch is a casual "cowboy" theme cafe/bar restaurant and fun place for a meal or a drink. I can't say enough about this wonderful hotel. I will be returning soon.

Room Tip: Get a room with a fireplace and hugh bathtub.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Westminster, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

The Sonnenalp is my number 1 place to stay in Vail. It has all the services that a person could want. The rooms are well decorated, with a balcony. Our room overlooked the outdoor pool and the stream. The hotel has a beautiful spa with everything you can want. Massage, separate saunas and steam rooms, indoor hot tub, out door hot tub, in door pool and pool outside as well. The staff members are extraordinary, very friendly and responsive. We had breakfast in a sunroom which had a beautiful view of the river. The Bully Room was just right for our first night to grab a sandwich and salad. We have stayed several places in Vail, and all I can say is The Sonnenalp has it all!

Room Tip: The "older" part has a view if the river, pool, and at night the trees are lighted. Room...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I have spent the vast majority of our wedding anniversary weekends celebrating at the Sonnenalp. (Since it was the Swiss Hotel...so that's a LOT of weekends) From the time we arrive, it feels like a huge "Ahhhhhh". There are more glamorous or chic hotels sprouting up in Vail and we've stayed at a couple of others, however, the Sonnenalp remains our favorite. It's more like a Bavarian Inn than an American hotel and that's the beauty of it. The Faesslers have truly defined the stellar hotel experience and service in this hotel has been of the best I have ever encountered and I travel all over the country for my work.

I book my travel relying heavily on Trip Advisor reviews so I try to return the favor by providing a fair and accurate review when I can.

The pro's (and there are many). The location of the Sonnenalp simply can't be beat. It's in the heart of Vail Village and you can easily get to all of the village within moments. The hotel itself is lovely and the Bavarian style fits so nicely in Vail. Parking is quick, friendly and efficient. When we checked in, there was a slight mix up but was rectified quickly without question. The spa is my favorite anywhere and we booked some spa services right after check in. Again, the staff was extremely friendly, accommodating and offered us a tour of the facilities. My husband received a massage and I had a facial. The services were wonderful and the massage therapist and esthetician were delightful (I need to remember names to get them some proper kudos). Although the esthetician made product recommendations, there was no hard sales pitch (that drives me nuts). We took advantage of the workout room and sauna - both nicely appointed. The outside hot tub was being repaired, but the pool is just the right size and offers both indoor and outdoor options. Turn down service includes 2 fresh baked cookies and sparkling water. Housekeeping is wonderful, our rooms were immaculate and they were extremely friendly and helpful, yet unobtrusive. We enjoyed breakfast at Ludwig's both mornings and their buffet is delicious with fresh fruit, yogurts, cereals, pastries, and heartier fare of potatoes, eggs, eggs benedict, bacon (the best ever). You can also order off a small breakfast menu. The first morning, our server was extremely attentive and friendly. (Maria?) We had dinner our first evening at the Bully Ranch (part of the hotel). Hearty burger, steak, casual eatery - our food was really delicious.

Ok, the not so good. In fairness, we visit typically the week after the slopes close down and much of Vail (and even some of the hotel's restaurants) are closed. Perhaps they were on a skeleton crew or simply tired of the spring break craziness. Our waitress at the Bully Ranch was efficient but kind of terse. I don't need a constant presence but she literally checked in with us once and that was to deliver our dinner. The next morning, we went to Ludwig's again for breakfast and the wait person was the polar opposite of the previous morning. The waiter only offered the buffet and when my husband inquired about ordered off the small menu that he ordered off the previous morning, the wait person indicated that this wasn't included with our package (I just checked the website and it IS offered) so he just ordered some eggs over easy. (We've stayed on this package for years and it has always been included but we didn't want to get the terrific waitress in trouble if that had changed) We both went to the buffet, ate and the waiter literally had disappeared - eggs appeared a long while later, cold and there was no refills of coffee or juice and neither the check nor waiter appeared again so we just checked out with the hostess. Last but not least, the bed. It was soft and lumpy like it had broken down. Not comfortable at all. I'm hoping with all renovations they are continually making that this is just simply next on the list.

So, am I nitpicking? Yea, a little bit. I get that it's shoulder season and we stay at a discounted rate but it's still a pretty penny and generally worth every cent and more. Will we return next April....of course. I'm hoping that the beds will be updated and we will request Maria's tables next spring. :)

Room Tip: Book your room creek side. Simply lovely to fall asleep to the sound of the water.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sad2BHomeDenver
Wilmette, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

the sonnenalp in vail is the reason to visit. it is the destination. vail itself is indeed a beautiful, if artificial, mountain resort, but the sonnenalp surpasses its location. of course, in season it is very expensive, but we were there out of season and got a great deal. the rooms (we were in a junior suite) are enormous, fireplace and balcony included, and the bathrooms spa-like. it is appointed impeccably from top to bottom. the hotel personnel are really professional and friendly, and do their best to provide the customer with a relaxing, first class experience. if you get the chance to stay here, grab it and don't look back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dominicandandy35805
Greenwood Village, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We spent one night here and felt like we had been on vacation for a long time. Impeccable cleanliness, service beyond compare and a wonderful, cozy room all added up to excellence! We loved the pool and hot tub area. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I was in Vail undergoing hip surgery at the Steadman in January. I stayed at the Sonnenalp at the recommendation of several sources when researching the trip. It was definitely the right decision.

The staff was more than helpful, they were actually interested in my situation. More often than not staff asked about my procedure and recovery and remembered the previous conversations. In order to find me the most comfortable combination off facilities, the hotel moved me to a more accessible room, modified my bed height, shuttled me to the clinic when required and extended my stay despite difficulty, (peak season in Vail).

The rooms have a comfortable feel, they are larger but unpretentious, and relaxing. No leather or chrome surfaces. Overstuffed arm chairs and couches. Fireplace. Hard to leave.

Our food was mainly room service due to being laid up and was for the most part good if a bit limited. Recommendation: try the A La Car service. Many restaurants in the village will deliver off their menu to your room for a premium. Buy your wine across the street at Grappa Fine Wines. If you are not laid up after hip surgery you have many choices of restaurants within 100 feet of the door.

Location in the village is among the best you can get. Wish I was more mobile to explore.

Highly recommended: If you are travelling to Vail for treatment at the Steadman Clinic, ask for their medical room rates. This will save you substantial amounts of money for a 5 star hotel any time of year.

I look forward to going back at the next opportunity, many thanks to the staff again, cheers.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul F
Parker, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Once inside the hotel, you won't want to leave. We stayed in a Jr. Suite which was very roomy, with a fireplace and balcony. The decor is old world and very authentic. Antiques from Europe adorn the hallways and the ambiance is soothing. The location is ideal and the best shopping and restaurants in Vail surround the hotel.

The service is amazing and for skiers, the free bus serving Vail stops at Sonnealp. This makes it easy to get to Golden Peak and onto the ski lift without walking more than 50 yards.

The staff and service couldn't be better. This is our favorite place in Vail, and being 'locals' from Denver, we have had many stays in at the ski resorts in Colorado.

Room Tip: Go for the Jr. Suite. Very cozy rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business