“Wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Vail
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This was our 2nd stay at Sonnenalp and it was just as lovely as the first. The staff are very friendly & accommodating. Rooms are spacious and quiet. We had a great view. The hotel is very conveniently located within walking distance of shops and wonderful restaurants. Because of the timing of our stay (very early in the summer season), early mornings and after dinner in the evenings, the area was very quiet with only a few people out & about. That was nice for pleasant strolls through town. The spa area with the indoor/outdoor pool is lovely & very relaxing. Staying at the Sonnenalp is a must when in Vail!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you your stay.
As you discovered, Vail is a very nice place to visit during non peak times of the year and the Sonnenalp is always open.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had a great experience working with the reservations to get the room booked. When I got there I was stunned to find we were put in a bedroom that had a murphy bed with space to pull down that we did not need. No table to eat on in the living area but they kept serving room service on a tray? What were we supposed to do picnic on the floor. We had only two chairs in the room to sit on and they were not comfortable at all. We were supposed to stay until Saturday morning for a week but by Wednesday I had enough and we checked out first thing Thursday morning. We tried to sleep through roof repairs, then roof clean up for those repairs. The staff is very nice but you cannot fix an uncomfortable room and no one should stay in room 413 on 4S It was a horrible experience and I am still recovering.

Room Tip: Do not get put on the S side of the hotel with the elevator. The rooms face the couryard and its whe...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Cheryl W
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
I sincerely apologize for your experience with us.
We will do our best to learn the items you point out to assure any reoccurance.
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here while on a work trip during the GoPro Mountain Games. It was close enough to the action, while being quiet and charming. The staff were exceptionally helpful with business-related needs - something I was hesitant about in a resort town.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank MandyJ2012
Redondo Beach, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is in a great part of town. Perfect walking distance to central Vail Village and Lionshead Village. The bellboys and the front desk staff were extremely accommodating and knowledgeable. Our room was adorable!! Great size, cute fireplace, great size balcony and best of all amazing huge tub! Cute little game room and fireplaces downstairs...The spa area was very nice and you could use the sauna, hot tubs, steam rooms and pool without any cost. (Very pricey spa services)...The only negatives about our stay was the service at Bully's Restaurant (Attached)...We stood at the bar for about 20 minutes before anyone even said hi to us. We ended up leaving without getting anything. Also the hotel was so hot that we had to sleep with our balcony door open all night. Everyone at the hotel agreed about the heat. The front desk said because it was colder outside the AC doesn't work. So be prepared to wear jackets outside and tank tops inside :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura H
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife has wanted to stay at the Sonnenalp Hotel for many years, so this year we booked three nights during "mud" season (after the ski season is over). During this time of year they have some great rates. The hotel is like walking into a Swiss Bavarian lodge, you feel warm, comfortable and welcome. The Valet staff and Front Desk staff are friendly, professional and make you welcome immediately. Our rooms was comfortable, beds were great and the fireplace was nice to have on the cool mornings and evenings. My wife loved the hugh soaking bathtub and I liked the large walk-in glass shower. Lots of hangers and drawers for storing clothes. We ate breakfast each morning in the Ludwig Dining room and the buffet was just what we needed to start our day. We preferred to sit in the more formal Swiss dinning area and received excellent service each morning from our waiter Ram, a friendly and efficient waiter from Nepal. Each day we enjoyed the indoor and outdoor hot tubs and the pool in the spa area which was always very clean. We also enjoyed a relaxing massage one rainy afternoon. The Bully Ranch was our choice for dinner one evening and I had huge cheeseburger with hot fresh french fries. The Bully Ranch is a casual "cowboy" theme cafe/bar restaurant and fun place for a meal or a drink. I can't say enough about this wonderful hotel. I will be returning soon.

Room Tip: Get a room with a fireplace and hugh bathtub.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Westminster, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

The Sonnenalp is my number 1 place to stay in Vail. It has all the services that a person could want. The rooms are well decorated, with a balcony. Our room overlooked the outdoor pool and the stream. The hotel has a beautiful spa with everything you can want. Massage, separate saunas and steam rooms, indoor hot tub, out door hot tub, in door pool and pool outside as well. The staff members are extraordinary, very friendly and responsive. We had breakfast in a sunroom which had a beautiful view of the river. The Bully Room was just right for our first night to grab a sandwich and salad. We have stayed several places in Vail, and all I can say is The Sonnenalp has it all!

Room Tip: The "older" part has a view if the river, pool, and at night the trees are lighted. Room...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I have spent the vast majority of our wedding anniversary weekends celebrating at the Sonnenalp. (Since it was the Swiss Hotel...so that's a LOT of weekends) From the time we arrive, it feels like a huge "Ahhhhhh". There are more glamorous or chic hotels sprouting up in Vail and we've stayed at a couple of others, however, the Sonnenalp remains our favorite. It's more like a Bavarian Inn than an American hotel and that's the beauty of it. The Faesslers have truly defined the stellar hotel experience and service in this hotel has been of the best I have ever encountered and I travel all over the country for my work.

I book my travel relying heavily on Trip Advisor reviews so I try to return the favor by providing a fair and accurate review when I can.

The pro's (and there are many). The location of the Sonnenalp simply can't be beat. It's in the heart of Vail Village and you can easily get to all of the village within moments. The hotel itself is lovely and the Bavarian style fits so nicely in Vail. Parking is quick, friendly and efficient. When we checked in, there was a slight mix up but was rectified quickly without question. The spa is my favorite anywhere and we booked some spa services right after check in. Again, the staff was extremely friendly, accommodating and offered us a tour of the facilities. My husband received a massage and I had a facial. The services were wonderful and the massage therapist and esthetician were delightful (I need to remember names to get them some proper kudos). Although the esthetician made product recommendations, there was no hard sales pitch (that drives me nuts). We took advantage of the workout room and sauna - both nicely appointed. The outside hot tub was being repaired, but the pool is just the right size and offers both indoor and outdoor options. Turn down service includes 2 fresh baked cookies and sparkling water. Housekeeping is wonderful, our rooms were immaculate and they were extremely friendly and helpful, yet unobtrusive. We enjoyed breakfast at Ludwig's both mornings and their buffet is delicious with fresh fruit, yogurts, cereals, pastries, and heartier fare of potatoes, eggs, eggs benedict, bacon (the best ever). You can also order off a small breakfast menu. The first morning, our server was extremely attentive and friendly. (Maria?) We had dinner our first evening at the Bully Ranch (part of the hotel). Hearty burger, steak, casual eatery - our food was really delicious.

Ok, the not so good. In fairness, we visit typically the week after the slopes close down and much of Vail (and even some of the hotel's restaurants) are closed. Perhaps they were on a skeleton crew or simply tired of the spring break craziness. Our waitress at the Bully Ranch was efficient but kind of terse. I don't need a constant presence but she literally checked in with us once and that was to deliver our dinner. The next morning, we went to Ludwig's again for breakfast and the wait person was the polar opposite of the previous morning. The waiter only offered the buffet and when my husband inquired about ordered off the small menu that he ordered off the previous morning, the wait person indicated that this wasn't included with our package (I just checked the website and it IS offered) so he just ordered some eggs over easy. (We've stayed on this package for years and it has always been included but we didn't want to get the terrific waitress in trouble if that had changed) We both went to the buffet, ate and the waiter literally had disappeared - eggs appeared a long while later, cold and there was no refills of coffee or juice and neither the check nor waiter appeared again so we just checked out with the hostess. Last but not least, the bed. It was soft and lumpy like it had broken down. Not comfortable at all. I'm hoping with all renovations they are continually making that this is just simply next on the list.

So, am I nitpicking? Yea, a little bit. I get that it's shoulder season and we stay at a discounted rate but it's still a pretty penny and generally worth every cent and more. Will we return next April....of course. I'm hoping that the beds will be updated and we will request Maria's tables next spring. :)

Room Tip: Book your room creek side. Simply lovely to fall asleep to the sound of the water.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple