“Perfection” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Vail
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Going to Vail for the first time we decided on staying at the Sonnenalp and we are so happy we did! The Blue Spruce Suite was spacious and had everything we needed. The best part about our room was the beautiful view. Front desk was very helpful and all the staff were great!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you this kind review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

the most elegant brunch, with gorgeous service and amazing food.
we come to ludgwigs usually 3 times while we are here on a 3 week stay.
the solarium in the summer and in the winter is just spectacular.
you think you died and woke up in heaven.
highly recommend.

Room Tip: brunch is a must and bully ranch for casual fare with outdoor seating in the summer is such a deligh...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Little Rock, AR
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Rooms were nice. Pool was nice. Front desk was not very helpful. Food is average but expensive. Bill was way off when we checked out. Two weeks after we had left, the hotel charged some more stuff to my credit card without my authorization. I would think they would need my permision or at least the courtesy of a phone call. There was no way to prove whether the additional charges were accurate as it was 6 weeks later when it showed up on my credit card bill. It was maddening. I guess it is all about them. Not the 5 star experience they advertise. I would advise you to keep looking elsewhere. Disappointed.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank southgs
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
My sincerest apologies for the treatment you received at our hotel.
Several things cleary went wrong.
We will do our utmost to assure better service in the area of your concern.

Thank you for the opportunity to fix ths.
Carmel, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

On a day trip to Vail, we decided to find a room in the village to continue to enjoy the charm of Vail Village in the summer. Without a reservation, searching for a walk-in rate, the staff at the Sonnenalp enticed us to stay. Raphael and Evelyn introduced us to the hotel, showed us various room types and negotiated with me to give us the best rate possible to enable us to stay. I had been on line and seen all of the misleading ridiculous rates from travel sites that never actually have access to such rates. They cut through all of that and spared me the effort. The hotel is charming and the room was delightful. Joseph (valet) was so helpful and welcoming when we moved in for a short, but perfect night at this lovely hotel. I will be back next summer!

Room Tip: The suites overlooking the pool area have a small balcony and a garden feel with the doors open to t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have never enjoyed Vail. Vail ("plastic Bavaria") is a phony developer construct that makes Atlantic City look authentic, so I had low expectations for this place. The Sonnenalp seemed at first consistent with Vail's fakey theme: the presentation of some kind of Disney Bavarian theme hotel seemed almost campy. But my friends were staying here while we were all up for a grueling endurance athetic event, so I went along; you know, give me convenience or give me death.

In fact this hotel is the US property built by a family that owns an actual hotel with the same name in real Bavaria, well-explained in a little display in a hallway. Who knew? It appears to be the lone authentic thing in a sea of bad copies. So it has a claim on the theme, making it far less corny and a clear effort on the part of ownership to coordinate consistent operations. It is an obviously successful model. A lot of the food service staff seems to rotate in from the German property, and they were excellent and consistent. They were chatty, charming and skilled observers, and it was fun to get to interact with proud, elegantly skilled hotel service staff that is different from the usual mountain employee pool of distracted, bong-hazed liberal arts grads finding their way as young adults (you'll see plenty of them around town). The brunch is fantastic. The bar is intimate and quiet. The lobby and library are full of little corners to get lazy.

The other guests were primarily oil and finance types there for conferences, tan retirees slowly perusing newspapers, and fresh new money from South America. They were unobtrusive, it's a nice clientele. The hotel was gloriously quiet for a mountain property, with real air conditioning. A lot of properties in the mountains do not have air conditioning because it is rarely needed. They also have courtyards and loud, loud guests that like to yell stuff to each other all night right under your open window. By having quality windows and white-noise AC, this hotel is a lot quieter than the competition.

The room we stayed in was large but had a lot of furniture making it cozy. The bathroom was very large and exceptionally clean. Housekeeping was attentive and efficent, bringing cookies, ice and filtered water every day in the evening at just the right time. The free wifi was great for our 5 devices, we didn't feel the need to pay for the optional high speed service. The bed was lavishly comfortable, with top-quality bedding. Amusingly, our room had two smallish non-US sized double-ish beds that housekeeping turned down as if we were each going to sleep in one of them. If you are big people or like your space, you'll want to sort out in advance if you can get one big bed, or are ok sleeping like a 50s sitcom couple on your romantic getaway.

The bell staff is truly exceptional. I arrived in a stupor from my event, and they took a lot of complicated requests involving very expensive, sensitive equipment and made them all happen without any problem or oversight as I ran off to take a shower. Take good care of them (and the rest of the staff), they deserve it, they handle a lot of different tasks, and are a key interface for your comfort and convenience, and they have great memories and you will see them again. This is clearly the best bell staff I have ever encountered, bar none.

I wish it wasn't in Vail, I wish they could be in a lot of places (Lake Tahoe and Banff). But I sincerely appreciate their obvious aptitude for running a truly world-class property.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Matt D
Brentwood, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I booked our stay at Sonnenalp after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. My husband and I went for a 4 day getaway on July5th. It is a German style hotel inside and out. The summer window boxes and landscape were beautiful with colorful flowers overflowing. It is on the western end of Vail Village which meant we were able to walk everywhere including the village of Lions Head. On Sundays during the summer months, there is "Market" on the streets of Vail Village. It was great fun to sit on our balcony and admire the street venders and shoppers as they walked below us on the cobblestone streets.

The bathroom was beautiful, spacious and clean. The room itself had a cozy feel. It was decorated in German style. My only complaint is the bed was a little lumpy but still very comfortable. There is turn down service at night which included bottled water and cookies. The hallways were always quiet. Even though it was the 4th of July weekend we would have thought we were the only ones there.

The outdoor pool bumps up to the river that flows through the town. It was amazing to sit by the pool and hear the river flow past you. There is an outdoor bar that serves wonderful drinks pool side. We kept looking for the lap pool that is shown on the website, only to find out it is located 20 mins. away at their racket club.

We ate a wonderful buffet breakfast every morning at the hotel. It was clean and had options to be healthy or as indulgent as you wish. The Bully Ranch restaurant was delicious as well. It is located outside on a beautiful patio. As like most restuarants in Vail, dogs are allowed to join their owners table-side at the outdoor restaurant. The chef even makes dog treats specifically for the furry guests.

My husband and I got a Spa Pedicure and Hot Stone massage at the Sonnenalp Spa. The spa amenities are nice but not the best. A little dated. The massage was wonderful. However, the Pedicure, though very expensive was nothing more than a quick clean-up. No foot massage, hot towel wrap, comfy chair...... I have had better at my local walk-in nail salon. Skip it.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kelly M
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
thank you for your review and the desription of "Summer Vail".
We will do a better job describing our facilities at our golf club. I am sorry that we confused you.
Equally, we will review the desribed treatment to service you better in the future.
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Living in Colorado there are many quality choices for a luxurious get a way. For us the Sonnenalp in Vail emobodies the many definitions of luxury and "First Class" on each and every stay. Let me name a few: Upon arrival the valet and bell staff are exceptionally welcoming and create a memorable first or 20th impression upon arrival. The Front Office staff takes the extra time to ask which newspaper you would like as a courtesy each morning-besides the iPads in the room and confirms all of your particular needs and requests! The rooms themselves are very spacious and have oversized bathrooms with all the amentities you might need. Lots of closet space, In our room we had a cozy fireplace that made the cool evenings romantic and cut the chill a bit from our open windows. The lounge just off the lobby has live entertainment and Sasha the bartender and his staff are extremely attentive. A large fireplace and cozy ambience of the lounge are a perfect after dinner retreat. Speaking of wonderful food, the breakfast at Ludwigs in the Sonnealp is first class. A very robust buffet with options to order off the menu such as eggs benedict and omletes. The view from Ludwigs overlooks Gore Creek and is pristine and magical. With a first rate spa, indoor-outdoor pool and workout facilities you don't really every have to leave the property. That said, the Sonnenalp location is in the middle of Vail and an easy walk to world class dining, shopping and hiking-biking. The concierge at the Sonnealp has been with the Hotel for many years and is a wealth of knowledge on all things Vail. Bully Ranch, Ludwigs for Dinner and The Swiss Chalet restaurants are on property. Our favorite for lunch is Bully Ranch and if you are in the mood for fondue, The Swiss Chalet is outstanding. The Sonnenalp defines Vail hospitality at the highest level. Enjoy!

Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank DanMDay