“Kind of dumpy but a great location”
Review of Evergreen Lodge

Evergreen Lodge
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We came down to Vail for the Sunday Farmer's market and stayed at the Evergreen Lodge. This place has a terrific location, a short walk to the main Vail Village (where the Farmer's Market is) and also Lionshead Village. But the place itself is in need of a major upgrade. Old standard tube TV's, very dated carpet, not the most comfortable beds, but for the price in Vail not a bad deal. If you want to be in the heart of Vail, without spending a lot, this is probably a decent alternative. Nice place for kids because of a very large pool; probably not the best place for a romantic getaway because of the rooms.

Room Tip: There are dog rooms available for $25 per dog.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked this a few weeks prior to the GoPro Mountain Games in Vail. We stayed on a Friday night to attend the GoPro Mountain games. We got the room for $108 WITH TAX. Great deal for the location, free parking, pool, hot tub, free wi-fi and right on the creek. I wasn't expecting the world with this one and for the price we paid I am overall fairly satisfied.
Check in: We checked in a few hours early and amazingly they gave us a room!! The lobby is nice, LOTS of areas to sit and relax. There is a restaurant and a bar in the lobby area, both of which we did not use. We did see it was fairly busy the Friday night we were there and I loved that the hotel is dog friendly. Dogs everywhere even lying around the floor in the bar, hilarious. I'm a dog lover so I enjoyed that even though we did not bring our dogs.
We were on the 2nd floor and had a lovely view of the parking lot with all the noise of the interstate, parking lot, etc. LOUD. Yes it is LOUD. Middle of the night all you hear are the drunk people screaming and dogs barking and loud trucks going by on the interstate. But we dealt with it, no problem.
So the room was warm. No air conditioning because this is Vail in the mountains and you usually don't get that in a room up here. I tried to open our window and it was literally sealed shut and for whatever reason it would not open! We stayed in room 206. Drove me crazy because the room needed to be aired out. So I call the front desk and they said they would send a fan up right away. There is supposed to be a plug in fan in the closet to use but there was not. I waited a half hour. It was now 10 pm at night so I went down to the lobby to talk to the front desk guy. He said that he had someone looking in all their empty rooms for an extra fan and that they would have one up to us within 15 minutes but....he had 7 other issues to deal with and he was off his shift in a half hour. I told him the window did not open and that it was a FIRE CODE issue. He said he would make a note of it. Needless to say he lied to me. Our fan NEVER arrived and he never called our room to let us know that they either couldn't find one or they just didn't give a hoot. GRRRRR. Strike one. Bad customer service.

The room: The room was clean. Bathroom was clean. I will give it to the maid staff, they do a great job with the cleaning of the rooms. No complaints there.

The POOL: The pool is HUGE. It is heated fairly well and we enjoyed swimming in it. Some things I noticed is that they need to spruce up the pool area. The pool has large chips out of the cement on top and it needs to be cleaned. A lot of bugs and leaves fall into it and it appears staff doesn't care to keep up on the maintenance.
Hot Tub was nice and there are two dry saunas. We didn't use the dry saunas but peeked in and they appeared clean.

GAME ROOM: STAY AWAY!! First of all the change machine chord had been cut and we went to the front desk to ask for change and the girl told us to go plug it in? We went back down and after looking a bit more at it yes the CHORD WAS CUT we went back upstairs and told her AGAIN and she very SNOTTINGLY and RUDELY got us 4 quarters and didn't even look at us or say anything to us. I made a comment that their attitudes are unbecoming and walked away and how dare they ask a CUSTOMER to plug their MACHINES in? We went back down to the game room and put $1 into the air hockey machine and played up to 5 points (game should go until 7 points) and the machine just SHUT OFF. What? After that I was so annoyed we just went to the pool. Don't waste your money or time with the game room.

The outside of the building needs some maintenance. I get that winters in the high country are rough on buildings. However, EVERY other building around is gorgeous! Maintained to the hilt, except the Evergreen. It has yucky old wood and the color is bland. This wouldn't preclude me from staying there but if they want to compete in the future I feel they need to start doing some upkeep.

I will say this-I would never pay more than a rate of $100 a night to stay here. If I got a room at a cheap price here I would stay. The location is perfect, however it is not the Marriott or anything like it, just be aware and don't pay those prices for this hotel unless it is your last resort. Also, the pictures on the hotel website are nothing like the hotel. The pool doesn't look HALF as nice as the picture HA!

Room Tip: Try to pay a little more to get a room on the creek side, but it appears most of the rooms face the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kimod74
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel a few years ago and it was fine (not fancy but fine). We stayed here again and it too was fine. We preferred to stay Vail Village but most were sold out or too expensive.
The location in Lion's head is not as convenient for skiing the main mountain but we made due
(takes longer to get to the back bowls or Blue sky) however time is money.

The hotel has complimentary coffee (nice but pretty bad tasting). Check in was fine and the room was ample and clean.

Three things to note are:
1) The prices have crept over the years making this less of a budget choice and more of a necessity choice when supply is limited. I feel based on what they offer the rack rate is too high.
2) The walls are very thin so don't plan to sleep in (hallway and next door neighbors).
3) The bar is pretty rockin' at night (we peeked in but didn't stay) but is VERY casual/local.

Room Tip: End of hallway is less noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Love2dine054
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed at the Evergreen Lodge for the third time in March 2014 - 9 of us. It never changes. If you want up market glitz it's not for you. But good clean hotel. Large bedrooms. Decent breakfast and sportsbar with food. Plus heated pool and large hot tub (too hot if you've got sensitive skin).

We would go there again. It's the one hotel in Vail that makes the resort affordable for those with a tighter budget.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This hotel has a good location. It is close to the shuttle but the walk to the gondola doable a not something you want to do twice a day. Upon check in we found the window in our room was broken- off the tracks which leaves a large gap for wind to blow through. Being on the first floor this a security issue as well. Someone came to look at it but couldn't fix it right away. Front desk offered to bounce us from room to room all week- their only solution for us because there wasn't another open for the full week. We checked on the status of the window the next day and the man at the front desk placed the blame on us for not wanting to switch rooms. A little empathy and customer service could go a long way. They also need to rethink the room for skis- there are no individual lockers so anyone at the hotel could steal your skis, but they don't want skis in the rooms. Lastly, and this is minor the hot tub news to be redone to be outdoors, it is very outdated.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I get it - Vail is expensive. This hotel is probably the best value you'll get, but i still feel that I'm being taken advantage of simply because it's Vail and high season.
On the plus side, the hotel is comfortable and it is located NEAR the shuttle stop to take you to lions head or to vail village. You still have to walk down an unshoveled path to get there, but it is convenient enough.My bed was comfortable, the shower had good pressure, and I did like the free coffee in the room. Staff were friendly enough and I enjoyed the hot tub after skiing. Didn't go to the bar or restaurant.
On the minus side, this hotel is simply worn and very tired. While it's the cheapest in Vail, I think they know they can charge almost whatever they want and get it in high season.
Overall, this represents decent value (within context of Vail) and good enough access to the slopes if you want to be close without spending an outrageous amount for the Lodge at Vail or similar.

Room Tip: we were on the first floor. There were only two elevators in the whole place and 7 or 8 floors. I...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jasoncrh
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This place really is great. They are only a couple minutes from the lifts and it is by far the cheapest hotel in Vail. The rooms were standard but the beds were very comfortable. We even had to get a roll-away bed for our buddy and it was a full size bed. Not one of those bent in half things. Hot tub was big and clean. Sauna was hot. The Altitude Bar, in the lobby, was also a very fun bar with pretty good food. They also have a separate, nicer restaurant across the lobby. The place is a little dated but still my new Vail favorite.

Make sure you have Gabriel get you set up. He is the a great staff member at the Evergreen.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends