“You get what you pay for.............”
Review of Evergreen Lodge

Evergreen Lodge
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 25 March 2010

If you don't want to spend a lot of money relative to other lodges in Vail, CO, then this is a good place to stay. If you're looking for a good location at a fair price, then this is a good place to stay. If you're looking for a quality place to stay, then you may want to think twice. As my title says, "you get what you pay for". This is a bare bones lodge. While the rooms are relatively clean and spacious enough, the towels, for example, are cheap and almost like sandpaper. In addition, I found the hotel to be very unaccommodating. When I checked-in I requested a check-out that was a mere 2.5 hours later on what is typically not a busy travel day - a Tuesday. (I wanted to ski the morning of my departure.) The person checking me in said it was ok. The day before my check-out I went to the front desk to confirm this and first the front desk people gave me a hard time about this and then the manager stepped in and he began giving me a harder time. I informed him that his own staff said it wouldn't be a problem when I checked-in. He said "that guy is not here but I can let you check-out later for a fee or I can store my bags in a store room and take a shower before my departure in shower in the whirlpool room". (This was not too appealing as I'm sure that this shower area was not the same as my private bath and required me packing everything up prior to going skiing that morning. Bottom line - it was a major inconvenience and an unacceptable solution to a minor request.) The manager's response was asinine. He refused to even consider having my room be at the bottom of the housekeeping list for the day - even after I informed him that he only had one of the two beds to change in the room since I was a solo traveler. This manager was (is) a moron and knows zero about a service business and how to accommodate customers. I would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank skiguy5

Reviewed 9 February 2010

I read some bad reviews of the Evergreen Lodge, so I felt compelled to write my thoughts. The location was great - it's a 5 minute walk from Lionshead and a 5 minute walk from Vail Village - the two main areas in Vail. Plus, it's right on the shuttle line so it's easy to hop on with your skis and boots. The rooms were nice - looked new and had everything we needed. They have a nice lodge-y lobby with a fireplace, a hot tub, outdoor pool and helpful staff. I would stay here again!

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JessicaLevy
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We stayed for 1 night in a room overlooking the mountain. It was beautiful, clean, and had a refrigerator. Close walking distance to Vail, and Lionshead. Pool is outdoors and heated with a great view of the mountain. Hot tub is indoors, and very large. Hotel offers free parking and indoor locked bike storage. Note... room was not airconditioned however, a box fan was available in the closet, but we didn't need it. Shouldn't be a problem except maybe in the heat of the summer. Great place for a hundred bucks!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2009

We stayed at the Evergreen on an overnight bike tour (paid $120 a night including the mountain view upgrade) and were quite happy with it. Clean, comfortable, nice room and the front desk staff was fine. They also have an indoor bike storage room which was really great, they did not object at all to us rolling our bikes through the lobby to get to it. Hot tub is huge and very hot, it was excellent. Pool was covered for heating and we didn't ask to have it uncovered but it looked nice as well. It's about a 5 minute walk to Vail Village which has good food options even if you are on a budget. The Evergreen's restaurant did not look too lively but it was off-season; you can probably find better options at the "locals" pizzeria and deli in Vail Village.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Check-in- Had to tear the guy away from his book for service. Clerk couldn't communicate about anything in Vail. Ask a question, get a dumb stare or "I don't know" response...generally expect a response like, good pizza joint downtown, free shuttle out the back door will take you there-
Incident: People screaming in hallway with F-bombs at 2:30 am, asked to tone down, got louder and told to [--], went to manager, reluctant to ask people to go to room or provide name. Instead I asked the Cops standing outside (Result of fight in bar) to help out. Finally 3-3:30 am people chilled out. Manager refused to give name and asked me to go back to my room. Commented normally wouldn't come up but received a number of complaints oh, yeah did I mention this was after the cops were coming up the elevator)
Check-out...same as check-in. Lack of customer service skills on front and back end. Asked for manager name on duty and someone to talk to...." no one on site right now"
Really need some help getting their people to enjoy working at the hotel provide a good face for welcoming customers, not reading, texting and failing to make eye contact-
Room- Hot as hell, had to vent with box fan to cool down, window open or heater on are 2 options for controlling room temp, nice remodel though. Pool- Spa worked nice, Pool mildly heated, but enough since outside temp was 50.
Overall, room quality and cleanliness good, customer service, lack of control after multiple complaints. and room temperature bad. Just wanted a good night sleep, didn't quite get it-

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank co_mack
Reviewed 3 July 2009

We stayed at the evergreen for 3 nights , we had no problems the staff was wonderful , the waiters in the bar were also out at the pool and took great care of us . we did not have to wait for anything same with the restarant. It was nice and close to all the activities happening in the square . we would stay there again without any questions .. cant beat the price compared to everything else.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2009

We booked directly with the hotel. We were able to get a low price and free upgrade to a king suite with a great view of the Mountains. My wife and i got to the hotel in midmorning and were able to check in right away. Front desk personnel was very friendly and helpful with arrangemnets for ski rentals, lift tickets and evening dining. Comparing to other properties, even more expensive ones that we stayed at before, the room at the Evergreen Lodge was huge! Bathroom and the room was nice and clean. Great location, right by the slopes. Great value! We will come back!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple