“Old and crusty”
Review of Evergreen Lodge

Evergreen Lodge
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 28 November 2010

I stayed here for five nights in June and would never go back. It was an unusually warm week and the hotel has no air conditioning - just a huge box fan with a very short cord in the closet. My tv was very old and had horrible reception. I called the front desk and they sent someone up to fix it. He was very young and didn't know how to fix it - he had to come back several times before he finally got it working. There is no wireless internet - only wired, but the do not supply a cable. You have to borrow one from the front desk and if you forget to return it, they charge you $15. The iron was bolted to the ironing board which made it very difficult to use. Everything in the room was very outdated - there is a strange looking heater in the wall of the bathroom that looks like a fire hazard. The fitness center is a converted closet in the basement with a treadmill. I actually called other hotels in the area after I checked in to see if they had availability because this place was so disappointing, but everything was booked due to the TEVA games. The hotel is cheap compared to other options in the area, but it still seems over priced for what you get. The hotel draws some questionable guests and I think that is the reason behind the security on the iron and the deposit requirement for the internet cable.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank firedancer416

Reviewed 3 June 2010

Stayed 2 nights for business and had a great time! Rooms were clean and large and sports bar in lobby was really fun. Staff went out of their way to help. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Rooms are very large and clean. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Great bar food at the Altitude Sports Club. Has to be the best value in Vail.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2010

If you don't want to spend a lot of money relative to other lodges in Vail, CO, then this is a good place to stay. If you're looking for a good location at a fair price, then this is a good place to stay. If you're looking for a quality place to stay, then you may want to think twice. As my title says, "you get what you pay for". This is a bare bones lodge. While the rooms are relatively clean and spacious enough, the towels, for example, are cheap and almost like sandpaper. In addition, I found the hotel to be very unaccommodating. When I checked-in I requested a check-out that was a mere 2.5 hours later on what is typically not a busy travel day - a Tuesday. (I wanted to ski the morning of my departure.) The person checking me in said it was ok. The day before my check-out I went to the front desk to confirm this and first the front desk people gave me a hard time about this and then the manager stepped in and he began giving me a harder time. I informed him that his own staff said it wouldn't be a problem when I checked-in. He said "that guy is not here but I can let you check-out later for a fee or I can store my bags in a store room and take a shower before my departure in shower in the whirlpool room". (This was not too appealing as I'm sure that this shower area was not the same as my private bath and required me packing everything up prior to going skiing that morning. Bottom line - it was a major inconvenience and an unacceptable solution to a minor request.) The manager's response was asinine. He refused to even consider having my room be at the bottom of the housekeeping list for the day - even after I informed him that he only had one of the two beds to change in the room since I was a solo traveler. This manager was (is) a moron and knows zero about a service business and how to accommodate customers. I would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank skiguy5
Reviewed 9 February 2010

I read some bad reviews of the Evergreen Lodge, so I felt compelled to write my thoughts. The location was great - it's a 5 minute walk from Lionshead and a 5 minute walk from Vail Village - the two main areas in Vail. Plus, it's right on the shuttle line so it's easy to hop on with your skis and boots. The rooms were nice - looked new and had everything we needed. They have a nice lodge-y lobby with a fireplace, a hot tub, outdoor pool and helpful staff. I would stay here again!

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JessicaLevy
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We stayed for 1 night in a room overlooking the mountain. It was beautiful, clean, and had a refrigerator. Close walking distance to Vail, and Lionshead. Pool is outdoors and heated with a great view of the mountain. Hot tub is indoors, and very large. Hotel offers free parking and indoor locked bike storage. Note... room was not airconditioned however, a box fan was available in the closet, but we didn't need it. Shouldn't be a problem except maybe in the heat of the summer. Great place for a hundred bucks!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2009

We stayed at the Evergreen on an overnight bike tour (paid $120 a night including the mountain view upgrade) and were quite happy with it. Clean, comfortable, nice room and the front desk staff was fine. They also have an indoor bike storage room which was really great, they did not object at all to us rolling our bikes through the lobby to get to it. Hot tub is huge and very hot, it was excellent. Pool was covered for heating and we didn't ask to have it uncovered but it looked nice as well. It's about a 5 minute walk to Vail Village which has good food options even if you are on a budget. The Evergreen's restaurant did not look too lively but it was off-season; you can probably find better options at the "locals" pizzeria and deli in Vail Village.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family