“Eh..”

Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Denver, Colorado
“Eh..”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

The hotel was in a great location right in Lionshead, so that was a huge plus. Short work the the Eagle gondolas. Indoor pool/spa was sufficient. Outdoor pool was small for a resort. Locker/Steam rooms very clean. The room itself was a little small and the view was horrid...right by the air conditioning unit. So sleeping was out of the question due to the constant noise of the unit. That is why we will not be returning to the Marriott on our next trip. If you can be assured that you get a room with a view and balcony it wouldn't be a problem. Valet parking is mandatory and is $28 during peak season and $21 off peak. There is free parking in the summer/fall but is quite a walk, you wouldn't want to walk that far with luggage.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a even number room..the odd number have a horrible view. At least that was the cas...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Oregon
Reviewed 29 July 2011

All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, a big plus for me. The restaurant was unbelievably slow with just okay food but the staff there were also nice. The room is a typical hotel room but dark. That could have been our location (we faced north). It was very quiet at night. The shuttle access is right outside the lobby.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank ORhiker
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This hotel was amazing. Not too badly priced for a hotel in Vail with a view. Staff was very friendly. Room was beautiful and everything was perfect. I would gladly come back here next time I am in Vail. The only downside is that you have to pay for the parking per night. This kind of sucked given there is not many places to park in Vail. The small downside was nothing compared to the amazing experience.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
St.Louis
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in July and the stay was good.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Little Rock
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stayed here for 7 nights for a conference. My room had a small refrigerator, in which I put food for meals. I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant but the room service meals were reasonable for hotel room service, less than some comparable hotels, and were tasty. Everything in Vail is situated so that you can see mountains, so I had a nice mountain view. Our conference was given free internet, otherwise my rating would be lower. The fitness room had several TVs, treadmills, and a few weight machines. It got crowded early in the morning. I used it once and hiked around Vail the rest of the time--it's a great town in which to walk. What I liked the most was my balcony--not all rooms have them--and the fact that I could open up the door and let fresh air come in. I'd stay here again, if I had to come to Vail, and if someone else was paying.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I didn't do my homework. Shame on me.
This hotel should be an embarrasment to Marriott. Shame on them.

Upon arrival, I discovered that the Marriott has absolutely no parking except Valet. There is not even any on-street parking, and the public garage 4-5 blocks away - not even within sight of the hotel. OK - not my first choice, but I'll deal.

At check-in, we are "upgraded" from a standard room to a deluxe room, based upon my husband's Marriott Rewards status, I suppose. I think "great!" and I'm instantly over the valet parking issue. We are told by the front desk that our room is larger and has a fireplace (? in July, is this a selling-point ?!?). We get to the room - I would have absolutely hated any room that was smaller than this! My guess would be approximately 400 square feet, BUT there was this HUGE stone fireplace that was way too big and took up way too much space in the room, it stuck out into the room about 3 feet - and was not in the corner, which would have made more sense. There was this tiny little window, which thankfully did open up, but the view was of the peeling plastic and rocks on the roof below and of the interstate which runs through the valley. The highway noise was so loud, I knew I couldn't sleep through it, so I closed the tiny, little window and turned on the A/C (what a waste!)

The king-sized bed was old and had ruts from people's bodies on both sides. We had a choice of pillows - either hard as a rock foam or lumpy foam. I had a HORRIBLE night's sleep not only because of the uncomfortable bed and awful pillows, but because the A/C clicked on and off all night, with a little rumble at the end of the cycle; I heard doors slamming shut up and down the hall all night; and our neighbor had a very obnoxious cell phone ring and then blabbered on and on and on in the middle of the night. VERY thin walls.

Because of the fireplace, there was no space for a desk or chair; but there were a sofa and two little cocktail tables - not helpful for laptop use, eating or writing. Very inconvenient. There was a nice, large flat-screen TV, but you could only watch it laying in bed as it was not visible from the sofa, and it did not have tilt or swivel capability.

The bathroom was very clean and of a nice size with a separate shower and tub. You could have probably fit 5 or 6 people in the bathroom if you wanted to, but it was all wasted space, there was very limited counter space for toiletries and awful fluorescent lights - BAD for makeup lights! The towels were well-worn and the bathroom amenities and stinky-soap belonged at a Motel-6. The flooring in the bath was very rough, (maybe their idea of "non-slip"?) cold tile, and there was not one rug or bath mat anywhere.

Overall the staff at the hotel was sufficient - but not great. $7 for a DRAFT beer in the bar.(ouch!) And, don't believe them when they say that they have a Starbucks upstairs, it's really just a counter with a hotel attendant making (possibly) Starbucks coffee on an ancient machine; NOT Starbucks pastries and NOT Starbucks service or atmosphere - no place at all to sit.

No problem, I'll have coffee somewhere else. I'm glad we had only planned one night, there is NO WAY I would have stayed there any longer. I was VERY HAPPY to leave the Marriott Vail Resort, and needless to say - I'll NEVER return.

Oh, and next time I've promised myself I'll research my hotels better!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jenaswright
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We skied Vail for better than twenty years but hadn't been back in over twenty years. We went to the USAFA graduation and decided t\we were in the area, so why not take a couple of nights on our own and review the memories.
We booked the Marriott Vail Mountain Resort and Spa over the internet and were not disappointed. It is located in Lionshead and a easy walk to public parking, if you so desire, as well as all of the shops and good eating places. Lionshed is totally different from what we recall from many years past, but Bart & Yetti's still stands for those of us who remember when and a couple of hotel names were familiar.
The service at Marriot Vail Mountain Resort and Spa was five star all the way from the front desk to the concierge to the servers in the restaurant. We totally enjoyed our time there and would highly recommend the hotel for anytime of the year.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family