“We'd stay here again, again and again, but maybe a bigger room next time.”

Vail Marriott Mountain Resort
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

It was time to schedule our trip for February break and I was outvoted. Our trip to Cancun last year was such a great one, that I wanted to head back and stay at the JW Marriott once again. Alas, it was not to be so.

Our tradition of going to Breckenridge every other year had been broken and the kids wanted to go back to Colorado for some boarding and skiing. As we had never been to Vail, we chose to stay at the Marriott Vail Mountain Resort. Reading some of the reviews here on TripAdvisor, I was a little concerned, but the complaints, to us, seemed unwarranted. The staff was nearly uniformly wonderful. Of course, I am a tipper, and that may skew things a little, but save one waitress, we had wonderful service all week. And the facilities? They were fine. Try staying at the Clarion by LaGuardia. Now you have reason to complain.

Upon arrival, though early, we were assigned a room immediately. I believe we were upgraded. The lobby is very nice and spacious with Bell staff and concierge available. Free granola bars were always out for you to take for a snack on the slopes.

We were in Room 328 which had 2 double beds and a real balcony. The bathroom was large, with separate shower and bath, but the doors (French) were weird in that they did not lock and the space between the doors was large. I would call the room cozy, but certainly big enough for the four of us. (Two adults and two kids.) It was equipped with a fridge and safe, and a microwave if requested. All modern and clean as you would expect from a Marriott.

Charter Sports was on the first floor where they kept your boots and skis/board for you. You would just go down, give them your shoes and retrieve your boots. Just outside, the ski valet would cart your skis to and from the gondola for you. Yes, you have to walk to the gondola. Maybe 2 blocks away. Really, now, it's not that far!

The breakfast buffet is fine. $26 for adults and $12 for kids. The on site restaurants are pricey, but the food was fine and that's what you get for the convenience. We did eat off site a few times based on the concierge's recommendations. She was spot on with those recs. In particular, the Bully Ranch is a wonderful place to get an excellent meal without breaking the bank. We took the free Vail shuttle - the stop is right out front.

Each afternoon at 3 pm, they put out delicious fresh baked chocolate chip cookies, hot cider and cocoa on the second floor. Perfect après ski snack! The indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs were a bit small, but even with the hotel at capacity, we never had a problem gaining access.

Valet parking is at $28 a night with in and out privileges. A tip of $1 each time seemed to be appreciated.

All in all, we had a wonderful time and would easily recommend staying here. The decor was fine, the rooms were fine and the service was fine. Everyone was friendly and helpful and we were very comfortable the entire stay. If you want the Ritz, then stay at the Ritz! This location was fine for adults alone or families. Pricey? Yes, but that's what you're going to get at Vail. Don't look for a bargain here.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank jdc345

Reviewed 23 February 2013

I was here at a conference for 6 days. You could shoot a canon through the restaurant every night. We had breakfast there one day for $25 per person and it wasn't worth $5. How do you screw up eggs? The location is a block away from the nearest chair(Eagle Bahn 1) but they do have staff who will wheel your skis on a cart to slope side for you and pick them up at the end of the day. The hotel is quite dumpy for the price. This is my first time in Vail but when I compare this hotel to my slope side hotel experiences at Snowmass, Steamboat Springs and Beavercreek it pales significantly. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Beavercreek and it blows this place away. It needs a serious reno.

1  Thank Foodseekers
Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

Our family of four came to ski for a long weekend and the Marriott wax a good choice. Rooms were nice sized w tub and shower, balcony overlooking mountain. Charter sports is on first floor and very convenient place to rent equipment. They also take ski is to base of eagle ban gondola and pick them up from 2-4. Right next door to Ritz. Ate dinner out most nights but room service food was very good. If you want a hotel this is a great choice.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I am a snowboarding freak and went to Vail this February. The powder, sights and food was exceptional and so was my stay. The Marriott was more than friendly to my family but as well to me. Every evening they would as "how was it today" on the fact that the return was "amazing." You aslo have a fun option of cookies, hot coco or apple cider after a cold winter day. The staff were very relaxed and not to focused on a particular customer. The concierge was more than helpful with my food loving father who made her seek over 20 restaurants for us, (they were all great). When it came to actually boarding, I showed up to see my board already out and fixed to my needs and likings. It literally took 2 minutes to get my Board and Boots! They then offer to take them over to the gondola for you but I was an early riser every morning and preferred to carry my own board. The Marriott was just a small key to my out most favorite vacation I have ever partaken in!

Room Tip: If you are looking for something right on the gondola or right next to it I would not recommend this...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2013

From the moment we walked in the door, all the staff at the Vail Marriott were friendly, went out of their way to help us, and made our stay excellent. The room was also very comfortable, and their ski valet service was fantastic. They store your skis and boots on the ground floor of the hotel, and will take your skis over on a cart to the gondola at Lionshead for you; and bring them back to the hotel at the end of the day.
I was there for a meeting; their meeting facilities were also very good, and they provided extensive breakfasts and apres-ski 'snacks' (really almost dinner) as part of the conference.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

My husband & I recently returned to the Marriott at Lionshead, Vail. Again, the hotel was top-notch. Excellent service. Our room was very nice, with a king size bed. The best part about staying here is the proximity to the Lionshead gondola. They have a ski valet who will wheel your skis on a cart over the gondola, & back at the end of the day. Free boot storage (with boot dryer/ warmer) daily in the ski shop. There are several economical restaurants nearby.
Breakfast buffet is huge, & a bit pricey. Massage at the spa was excellent.

Reviewed 8 February 2013

I went to the Vail Marriott resort & spa on the highest peak season over christmas and new year! Of course I pay a lot of money to stay here. However I can tell I was fully satisfied with everything they offered.

Location is great, really close to everywhere in walking distance. You can also walk to the lionshead lift. No need to wait for the bus and carry your ski around. Even though it's very close, It's still SO FANTASTIC that they carry your ski to the slope. How nice is that!!!! Of course they will also carry back your ski from the bottom of the slope to the hotel!
So that you can go apres-ski drink without worrying about carrying back your ski! That was the best thing seriously!!

My room with mountain view was a decent size with mountain lodge touch. Bathroom was really spacious with both bath tub & shower. I liked the interior of bathroom with french wooden door.

I love the fire place at the lobby to hang out and sip hot chocolate. Some kids and families were playing games in front of the fire place. It's like a happy kodak moment.

Don't miss 2 outdoor and 1 indoor Jacuzzis. Plus there is a indoor swimming pool if you still have energy left after skiing. Going to the out door hot tub after skiing in the cold air is another reason I go ski! So relaxing ;)

Breakfast buffet was good. It was just really crowded since everybody needed a good breakfast to ski all day! Maybe it's smarter to go little earlier or later.

If you want to go ski, Vail is one of the best destination in the US. Also Vail Marriott won't disappoint you!

Hope this is helpful for you to plan a trip to Vail!
Enjoy!!!