It was time to schedule our trip for February break and I was outvoted. Our trip to Cancun last year was such a great one, that I wanted to head back and stay at the JW Marriott once again. Alas, it was not to be so.
Our tradition of going to Breckenridge every other year had been broken and the kids wanted to go back to Colorado for some boarding and skiing. As we had never been to Vail, we chose to stay at the Marriott Vail Mountain Resort. Reading some of the reviews here on TripAdvisor, I was a little concerned, but the complaints, to us, seemed unwarranted. The staff was nearly uniformly wonderful. Of course, I am a tipper, and that may skew things a little, but save one waitress, we had wonderful service all week. And the facilities? They were fine. Try staying at the Clarion by LaGuardia. Now you have reason to complain.
Upon arrival, though early, we were assigned a room immediately. I believe we were upgraded. The lobby is very nice and spacious with Bell staff and concierge available. Free granola bars were always out for you to take for a snack on the slopes.
We were in Room 328 which had 2 double beds and a real balcony. The bathroom was large, with separate shower and bath, but the doors (French) were weird in that they did not lock and the space between the doors was large. I would call the room cozy, but certainly big enough for the four of us. (Two adults and two kids.) It was equipped with a fridge and safe, and a microwave if requested. All modern and clean as you would expect from a Marriott.
Charter Sports was on the first floor where they kept your boots and skis/board for you. You would just go down, give them your shoes and retrieve your boots. Just outside, the ski valet would cart your skis to and from the gondola for you. Yes, you have to walk to the gondola. Maybe 2 blocks away. Really, now, it's not that far!
The breakfast buffet is fine. $26 for adults and $12 for kids. The on site restaurants are pricey, but the food was fine and that's what you get for the convenience. We did eat off site a few times based on the concierge's recommendations. She was spot on with those recs. In particular, the Bully Ranch is a wonderful place to get an excellent meal without breaking the bank. We took the free Vail shuttle - the stop is right out front.
Each afternoon at 3 pm, they put out delicious fresh baked chocolate chip cookies, hot cider and cocoa on the second floor. Perfect après ski snack! The indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs were a bit small, but even with the hotel at capacity, we never had a problem gaining access.
Valet parking is at $28 a night with in and out privileges. A tip of $1 each time seemed to be appreciated.
All in all, we had a wonderful time and would easily recommend staying here. The decor was fine, the rooms were fine and the service was fine. Everyone was friendly and helpful and we were very comfortable the entire stay. If you want the Ritz, then stay at the Ritz! This location was fine for adults alone or families. Pricey? Yes, but that's what you're going to get at Vail. Don't look for a bargain here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vail Marriott Mountain Resort in Lionshead Village is one of Colorado's most celebrated resorts. Our relaxed luxury ski resort in Vail sits just 150 yards from the Eagle-Bahn Gondola and offers comfortable lodging options for daredevils, daydreamers and those seeking a little adventure. Featuring all the hospitality and charm of a European ski and spa resort, our we are the destination resort of choice for vacationers seeking the exceptional. The natural beauty that surrounds our breathtaking accommodation is reflected in a chateau atmosphere of warm elegance, complete with rich wood accents, cozy rooms with plush beds, heated pools, outdoor recreation and an elegant spa. With 5,289 acres and seven legendary bowls, Vail Marriott Mountain Resort is the largest ski resort in the nation, welcoming skiers and snowboarders from all over the world. We invite you to stay with us and discover why Vail continues to top ski resort polls year after year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, Cancelon and Ebookers so you can book your Vail Marriott Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Vail Mountain Hotel Vail
- Marriott Vail Mountain Resort And Spa
- Vail Marriott