“Great location and good service”

Vail Marriott Mountain Resort
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Houston, Texas, USA
“Great location and good service”
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on points but I understand folks complaints about value if it was $600/night I am not sure my rating would be as high.

Here is the deal though, you cannot beat the location and the most important part of a ski vacation for us is that the beds are comfy. This Marriott gets high marks for both! Especially the beds - ultra comfortable.

The hotel is a little tired but it gets hard use. Lots of kids and the elements impact the wear and tear on the facility. We liked the hotel and will return. We only spent one night so we didn't get to take advantage of all of the amenities.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kristy S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

To start of, please understand we are marriot platinum members and only stay at marriot properties so it's with a heavy heart that I write this. This is not a rush to judgement post...this is our second time staying here and our last. The hotel is starting to get dated, sure the lobbyi looks nice but the overall feel is off. I was surprised to see a 4 diamond rating tonight that's for sure. I'm laying in bed and looking at electrical tape covering part of the smoke detector, a drop down ceiling over the bathtub is partially broken. If we were paying $189 a night at peak season it would be one thing but at $599 they should be ashamed.

I could also complain about the lack of upgrade and up selling tactic they use for the platinum members but that's another topic for another time.

To sum it up, spend $599 a night somewhere elsewhere that's for sure

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank DrJack72
Brian H, Director of Room Operations at Vail Marriott Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear schneids33,
Thank you for providing your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear you did not think our hotel was a good value. Please know we are in discussions with our ownership group identifying areas of the Hotel that may need improving. As a Platinum member we value your feedback and do hope when your travels bring you back to Vail you will stay with us again. Please feel free to contact me directly so I may assist you in any way possible.

Best Regards,
Brian Hunt
brian.hunt@marriott.com
Washington D.C.
Reviewed 3 February 2014

2nd time to the Marriott Vail. Overall a good stay, friendly and helpful staff.
We upgraded to a Studio King and had a room facing the mountain - very nice vistas.
Good walking access to the bottom of the Lionshead gondola - they will bring your skis over and back.
But on the flip side:
- my brother, who paid full price for one night to visit us received a terrible room
- EXTREMELY expensive room service.
- skimping on shampoo/amenities even when asking for them:
- housekeeping not very thorough
- bar without real ambiance

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a mountain-facing room!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TooFrequentTraveller
Dear TooFrequentTraveller,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. We are certainly delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We also are quite disappointed to hear your brother did not enjoy his room. Please know I have shared your comments regarding room service pricing and our room amenities with our entire team in an effort to continually improve. Again thank you for taking the time to provide your review and we hope to see you back in Vail soon!
Tuftonboro, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stayed here in Vail and loved Vail, the location, the skiing and the town. The convenience of the Marriott Vail Mountain Resort was great. Some of the employees were very helpful like the ones who took your skis back and forth for you to the lift, the folks who worked in the pub and some of the desk help. The room was very small but with a nice view. We were a little surprised as to the service as my husband is a Silver Platinum member and has spent many a night in Marriotts. Our last stay in Grand Cayman was superb. All the employees there were outstanding and there for your every wish. Not so at the Vail Resort. One other thing I am not very keen on is the fact that rather than putting coffee and tea out for folks staying at the resort in the morning, you are forced to pay exorbitant prices to Starbucks, of which I am not a fan of their corporate dealings, their prices or how they treat their employees. I think they should go back to putting coffee and tea out at their hotels in the morning for guests rather than expecting them to spend a fortune on coffee and tea. The cost of two coffees and one tea was over $14. Insane!!! I was not impressed with the turn down service either as they were also suppose to leave 4 bottles of water each night which they did not. I had to ask for it twice. Vail itself is wonderful and the Marriott here would be with a little bit more attention.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank bjphotography
Brian H, Director of Room Operations at Vail Marriott Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear bjphotography,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry we fell short of your expectations. I have shared your comments regarding turndown service with our housekeeping team in an effort to continually improve. If you have additional comments/feedback you would like to share, please feel free to reach out to me directly. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to address these issues. I do hope you will give us a chance again in the future.

Best Regards,
Brian Hunt
brian.hunt@marriott.com
San Diego
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I recently stayed at the Vail Marriott Mountain Resort and Spa for 2 nights on reward booking and did a little video review of the hotel grounds and room 559 -- a two double bed room.

If you'd like to see what the hotel and room 559 look like, then check out the video here:

The Vail Marriott is located on the West side of Vail in Lionshead village. I drove in from Denver on a Saturday morning and the 110 mile drive took about 3 hours due to the ski-resort bound traffic on the I-70. The Vail Marriott is a short 5 minute or so walk to the Eagle Bahn Gondola.

Arrival at the hotel was very convenient as the valet immediately approach our car, whisked our bags away, and led us to the front desk. It was about 12:30pm and our room wasn't yet ready. The front desk took down my cell phone number and offered to call me once the room was available. In about an hour I got a friendly call letting me know the room was available.

As a Marriott Platinum member I was offered a welcome gift of points, or a $10 food & beverage credit. I took the $10 food credit to use at the in hotel Starbucks later. Starbucks is certainly the cheapest breakfast option inside the hotel (it's located on the 2nd floor of the lobby, open until 11am). The regular breakfast at the hotel is extremely expensive! Pancakes and eggs is like $30+! Some other breakfast options that I'd recommend in Lionshead village are The Little Diner (a block away from the hotel), and Tavern on the Square in front of the Eagle Bahn Gondola.

Once we checked in the room, the bell-boy brought our bags up in just a few minutes. The room overall was fairly small but comfortable. The bathroom looked to have been recently remodeled and was easily the nicest part of the room. Sleep quality was pretty good. It was quiet, and we kept the balcony door open so that brought in plenty of cool fresh air.

Since this is considered a "resort" hotel, there is no concierge lounge or free breakfast. As a resort it also has a $30/day resort fee. The resort gets you free internet, 4 bottles of water, ski valet, and 2 free welcome cocktails.

There are 2 swimming pools, and 2 hot-hubs. One of the sets of pool/hottub is outside, and the other set is inside (basement level). On the ground floor of the hotel by the pool there is a huge sporting goods store. A great place to pick up those last minute items.

Parking is 100% Valet Parking. $32 per night in the winter, $21 per night in the summer. Performance of the valet was always excellent. I never had to wait more than 10 minutes for my car. The free Vail bus stops directly in front of the hotel, and arrives every 10 minutes or so. A pretty nice touch is they have a heat lamp directly above where you wait for the bus so it's not too cold.

Overall I'd recommend the Vail Marriott if you've got points to redeem. I'm not sure that I'd pay the rack rate of $500-$700/night during the winter months though -- seems a bit steep to me... but I guess it is Vail!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank YellowProductions
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Great hotel, first stayed at the Marriott Vacation Rentals at Marriott Streamside in a 2 bedroom unit and later stayed in this one, the Mountain Resort. This one is much much better, better location, better service, overall much better quality. Free cookies and hot chocolate in the afternoons, fireplace with relaxing drinks in the lobby, comfortable beds and well appointed rooms/bathrooms. I would stay there again... It's not the Ritz at Bachelor Gulch, but its a nice Hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristian A
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here over MLK weekend and it was a great experience for the 2 of us. Starting with the friendly service from entire staff, nightly live music in the lobby bar, complimentary hot chocolate and cookies from 3 to 5, 2 free drinks day of check in, clean updated rooms, multiple outdoor hot tubs, short walk to gondola / chair lift and the ski valet. You cannot go wrong here. Yes you have to pay a $30 resort fee but well worth it. The only thing that could be improved was the speed of service in the lobby bar. Both nights I was there several people waited extended times for a drink with plenty of staff present

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
JasonPolland, Manager at Vail Marriott Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear ksiller,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our Resort. I am glad to read you had a great experience overall. I will be working with our team to address the timeliness of our service in the lobby bar. This is not what we strive for and I promise we will work to fix this going forward. We hope that the next time you visit Vail you choose to stay with us again.