“Great ski lodge hotel”

Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Parker, CO
“Great ski lodge hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I was apprehensive about staying at the Marriott Vail after reading some bad reviews. We stayed on a Friday night in February. The hotel is great, considering it's a ski lodge hotel with a conference area. I understand the wear and tear because the snow is so damaging.
Service was great, check-in smooth. The only downside was that we wanted to stay another night, but the hotel was booked solid (a good side for the hotel). I liked the free wine voucher and the free hot chocolate in the afternoon.
The location is close to the gondola. It's not a far walk.
The beds were comfortable. We didn't eat at the restaurants in the hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Parkercolorado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

We come here every year for our ski trip. Service is very good and everyone seemed truly interested in making our trip great.
When our safe quit working someone came within 5 min. When he couldn't fix it there was a new safe installed by 15min. Great job.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Dukewright
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stay at Marriotts an average of 240 days a year. I take several international vacations to Marriotts.

The one at Vail is downright terrible for the pricepoint.

Pros:
Location is good - about a 5 minute walk to the gondola.
Ski Valet service is nice and free
Bed is decent (the beds at the Jackson, MS Marriott are way better, to put it in perspective)
Humidifier, mini refrig in room
Balcony is nice

Cons:
RIDICULOUSLY SMALL. As I am sitting here typing this review, my dell power cable extends the entire length of the room (from bed to wall where the tv is).
Towels are similar to what you would find at a Days Inn.
$30 resort fee per day? This is NOT a resort.
Sales manager badgering me to pay $150/nt extra to upgrade to a suite
$599/nt. Do you realize the condo I could get for $599/nt for a studio sized condo??

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Kyle D
Brian H, Director of Room Operations at Vail Marriott Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Kyle D,
Thank you for providing your detailed review on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear you felt our rooms were very small. Please know we do have over 12 different room types available to purchase and with such a wide selection we feel there is an appropriate room type to fit everyone's needs.
We do also offer a resort fee which has many benefits; wireless internet, two complimentary drinks in our Pub, cookies and cocoa after skiing, ski and boot storage, ski valet, just to name a few. I do hope you will stay with us when your travels bring you back to Vail. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so I may assist in ensuring you receive the room type you need.

Wellesley, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I'm a Marriott Platinum member, so I've stayed in my share of Marriott's over the years and this is the third time over 10 years I've brought my family here. Until now, we've always been very satisfied.

It's been a few years since our last visit and unfortunately what had the feel of a modern mountain retreat ten years ago is now an overprice, haggard property with uneven service. The lobby still greats one with a nice atmosphere and we found the front desk to be helpful, although they could do nothing to get us into our rooms before 3:00 in the afternoon. This by itself is understandable given we were arriving after a holiday weekend, but it foreshadowed the worst aspect of the property--the housekeeping. We had adjoining rooms and during the course of our stay our rooms were never made up (I purposefully don't use the word "cleaned") before 4:00. When paying this much for a hotel room, its really disconcerting when you return from a great day of skiing only to find your room hasn't been touched. Thus we were in the room when the staff finally got to our room and I witnessed the complete lack of cleaning. I can only hope they do a better job when they turn over the room.

Other disappointments were a deteriorating physical plant (water damage evident on ceilings) and rooms featuring furniture seemingly from the '90s.

It still has a great location but ultimately I left feeling the property is a major renovation away from being worth my consideration in the future. For now, it's off the list--especially for the money.

Room Tip: Cookies with Hot Chocolate and Cider are a nice amenity each afternoon in the lobby.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank William W
Dear William W,
Thank you for providing your detailed feedback. Please know your feedback as a Platinum elite member is very important to us. I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed in the condition of our Hotel, as well as housekeeping services. Please know we strive not only to meet all of your expectations but exceed them. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations and I do hope you will give us another try when travels bring you back to Vail. Please contact me directly so I may assist in any way possible.

Chicago IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Full service resort, so do not expect to do anything but relax.
From registration, to spa, to bar and restaurant staff, to check out/bellman/concierge – entire staff very friendly and attending to our every need.
Small Starbucks coffee shop, breakfast buffet, first floor bar and dinner menus offered a variety of beverages and entries to satisfy us through the trip.
Of course having concierge service to bring skis and board to and from lifts and store overnight was not too hard to accept.
Upgrade to a suite with fireplace was a nice gesture by the front desk manager to offset our greater than normal drive up the mountain in a snow storm.
Would I recommend this hotel – YES!

Room Tip: All rooms have mountain views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ChicagoDon
Dear ChicagoDon,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our Resort on Tripadvisor. We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable, relaxing stay! We hope to see you back in Vail soon! Thanks again, Brian Hunt
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

From the time we checked in at 5pm (rooms were guaranteed to be ready by 4pm, but none were available) it was disappointing. Our luggage didn't arrive in our room for 30 minutes (after 3 calls), the room was not cleaned or restocked for 2 days (I had to beg housekeepers I found for clean towels), there was mold in the shower, young screaming children were running down the hall at 4:30 am, friends of ours heard a small dog barking next door and the hotel staff seemed disinterested. There was a strong "bro" culture in the lobby and bar.....I learned way more about the bartenders life than I ever wanted to know while waiting for a drink. At the end of our stay they lost my skis. They now charge daily for internet (even in public areas) and for water and your "welcome cookies". All this for $450 a night!

Green Features: I didn't notice any, but I assume we helped the environment by re-using towels and filling our own water bottles
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ABWSPC
Brian H, Director of Room Operations at Vail Marriott Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear ABWSPC,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your detailed feedback. I am very sorry to hear the details of your stay. Please know I have shared your comments with the entire team as we continually strive to improve. I encourage you to contact me directly when your travels bring you back to Vail so I may assit in any way possible and ensure you have a stay where you experience the type of service we are known for. Again, I thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to improve.

Houston, Texas, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on points but I understand folks complaints about value if it was $600/night I am not sure my rating would be as high.

Here is the deal though, you cannot beat the location and the most important part of a ski vacation for us is that the beds are comfy. This Marriott gets high marks for both! Especially the beds - ultra comfortable.

The hotel is a little tired but it gets hard use. Lots of kids and the elements impact the wear and tear on the facility. We liked the hotel and will return. We only spent one night so we didn't get to take advantage of all of the amenities.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends