“Good location”

Vail Marriott Mountain Resort
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I just got back from a trip to Vail last week. We stayed here and it was very nice. Having been to Vail several times I looked forward to staying in Loinshead after the renovations have been done. So with that in mind this property was perfect. It's a little bit of a walk to the slopes but not bad. They have a ski valet that will carry your skis for you, very nice. The rooms were nice and very clean. Was it the best Marriott ever, no, but it is a place I would go back to. The staff was top notch, the bar was fun with live music. My biggest complaint is the insane heat!!!!!!! This place must have the heat set on 100!!!! I have never felt anything like it. It's nice to warm up when you walk in but the entire place is like an oven. I had to open my door outside to sleep at night. It is insane!!!!!
Turn down the HEAT!!!!

Room Tip: Mountain side is great
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,145)

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Friendly and very accommodating staff. My room was clean and modern. This hotel does a lot of little things to make you feel "taken care of." Housekeeping repeatedly left us bottled water. In the afternoon after skiing, they provide free warm cookies, hot chocolate and hot apple cider. They have a ski valet to bring your ski's to and from the mountain. The location is great - literally a 5 minute walk to the vista bahn gondola.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and 2 kids ages 6 and 10 stayed here for 3 nights starting Feb. 16, 2014. I joined them for the last night only. This resort never disappoints. It seems to me that they replaced the carpeting in the room hallways since we visited a year ago and this was refreshing. We had a double room on the 5th floor with fireplace. The lines and towels were very good and the bathroom was large. The restaurant offers a nice breakfast buffet with lots of choices. In fact the breakfast buffet is better her than the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch. This resort is very kid and family friendly and never disappoints and ski valet is just a short 6 minute walk from the resort. The lounge off the lobby has a good lunch and nightly entertainment. The indoor pool and spa is also a big hit with the kids. You can easily go to the Vail Village for shopping and dinner by shuttle bus or the resort has cars that can take you on a first served basis. Please see my other review of this resort from 2013 for a complete and fuller review.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part of the resort.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I was apprehensive about staying at the Marriott Vail after reading some bad reviews. We stayed on a Friday night in February. The hotel is great, considering it's a ski lodge hotel with a conference area. I understand the wear and tear because the snow is so damaging.
Service was great, check-in smooth. The only downside was that we wanted to stay another night, but the hotel was booked solid (a good side for the hotel). I liked the free wine voucher and the free hot chocolate in the afternoon.
The location is close to the gondola. It's not a far walk.
The beds were comfortable. We didn't eat at the restaurants in the hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Parkercolorado
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

We come here every year for our ski trip. Service is very good and everyone seemed truly interested in making our trip great.
When our safe quit working someone came within 5 min. When he couldn't fix it there was a new safe installed by 15min. Great job.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Dukewright
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stay at Marriotts an average of 240 days a year. I take several international vacations to Marriotts.

The one at Vail is downright terrible for the pricepoint.

Pros:
Location is good - about a 5 minute walk to the gondola.
Ski Valet service is nice and free
Bed is decent (the beds at the Jackson, MS Marriott are way better, to put it in perspective)
Humidifier, mini refrig in room
Balcony is nice

Cons:
RIDICULOUSLY SMALL. As I am sitting here typing this review, my dell power cable extends the entire length of the room (from bed to wall where the tv is).
Towels are similar to what you would find at a Days Inn.
$30 resort fee per day? This is NOT a resort.
Sales manager badgering me to pay $150/nt extra to upgrade to a suite
$599/nt. Do you realize the condo I could get for $599/nt for a studio sized condo??

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Kyle D
Brian H, Director of Room Operations at Vail Marriott Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Kyle D,
Thank you for providing your detailed review on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear you felt our rooms were very small. Please know we do have over 12 different room types available to purchase and with such a wide selection we feel there is an appropriate room type to fit everyone's needs.
We do also offer a resort fee which has many benefits; wireless internet, two complimentary drinks in our Pub, cookies and cocoa after skiing, ski and boot storage, ski valet, just to name a few. I do hope you will stay with us when your travels bring you back to Vail. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so I may assist in ensuring you receive the room type you need.

Best Regards,
Brian Hunt
brian.hunt@marriott.com

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I'm a Marriott Platinum member, so I've stayed in my share of Marriott's over the years and this is the third time over 10 years I've brought my family here. Until now, we've always been very satisfied.

It's been a few years since our last visit and unfortunately what had the feel of a modern mountain retreat ten years ago is now an overprice, haggard property with uneven service. The lobby still greats one with a nice atmosphere and we found the front desk to be helpful, although they could do nothing to get us into our rooms before 3:00 in the afternoon. This by itself is understandable given we were arriving after a holiday weekend, but it foreshadowed the worst aspect of the property--the housekeeping. We had adjoining rooms and during the course of our stay our rooms were never made up (I purposefully don't use the word "cleaned") before 4:00. When paying this much for a hotel room, its really disconcerting when you return from a great day of skiing only to find your room hasn't been touched. Thus we were in the room when the staff finally got to our room and I witnessed the complete lack of cleaning. I can only hope they do a better job when they turn over the room.

Other disappointments were a deteriorating physical plant (water damage evident on ceilings) and rooms featuring furniture seemingly from the '90s.

It still has a great location but ultimately I left feeling the property is a major renovation away from being worth my consideration in the future. For now, it's off the list--especially for the money.

Room Tip: Cookies with Hot Chocolate and Cider are a nice amenity each afternoon in the lobby.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank William W

Dear William W,
Thank you for providing your detailed feedback. Please know your feedback as a Platinum elite member is very important to us. I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed in the condition of our Hotel, as well as housekeeping services. Please know we strive not only to meet all of your expectations but exceed them. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations and I do hope you will give us another try when travels bring you back to Vail. Please contact me directly so I may assist in any way possible.

Best Regards,