“Great value, improved”

Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Arlington, VA
“Great value, improved”
Reviewed 18 December 2007

I wrote a review here after my stay in 2006, and I feel like management has read it. My stay then was enjoyable, but I did have some criticism, and it has been addressed.

Then, I wrote that the tub was dirty and the water pressure lacking. This season, I found the bathroom totally redone, with a clean tub, excellent water pressure, and a nice showerhead.

Then, I noted that the bed was comfortable, but nothing special. This season, I found a temperpedic mattress.

So, let me reiterate: This is the best value in Vail village. It is a comfortable, friendly place, with a great location and great rates ($210 from Dec. 14-17).

That said, because someone may be paying attention, I will say: The sheets need to be replaced with higher thread-count sheets. They are almost scratchy. And the ski storage room smells pretty bad. But these are just kinks I know you'll work out.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank lionshead

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 18 September 2007

You can't beat the Sitzmark location and value for your money in Vail Village. This was our fifth stay. Rooms are very clean, have coffee, tea, wine glasses, microwaves, ironing board and irons. Extra space for luggage storage out of your way as well as a safe for valuables. Laundry facilities are available in the basement. Pool area overlooks the mountains; other side overlooks Gore Creek. Hard to decide which is the better view. Inviting lobby area and employees willing to help with whatever you need.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TXcatlover
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 28 January 2007

This is one of the best values for the dollar in the Vail Village. Clean, close to the lifts, in the center of the action, breakfast included, free parking, helpful front desk. We stayed Christmas week, I could not believe the number of people who come back to this same hotel every year. On second thought, yes, I can understand why!
SN
Plantation, Fl

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trekker99
colo. springs
Reviewed 3 January 2007

We visited the Sitzmark right after Thanksgiving for a long weekend. For the low price we received from the Vail visitors website, we did not expect much, considering most vail lodges were hundreds of dollars more per night. We were pleasantly surprised ! we had door parking (there's a short garage underneath as well) and a wonderful clerk named Jake (manager?) He was extrememly helpful to us. We had a wonderful large king room with a spectacular view of the mountain slope and the pool area with lighted shop streets below. The bath was beautiful marble tiled and clean. We had a refrigerator and coffee cups and bar sink as well. The breakfast was continental but with waffles, cereal, fruit and juices it was good. other staff members were not as helpful, but luckly most of our stay was with Jake and he was great. I definitely would stay here again.

• Liked — king bed, view, refrig, free food
  • Disliked — bed could be firmer. staff members could be friendlier and better trained, needed ice water at breakfast!
  • Tips/Secrets — not a luxury hotel, but conveniently located and had a lot of things i miss in hotels like extra sheets, and blankets and pillows and a humidifier.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank arthaven
Warmington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2006

We expected the Sitzmark to be similar to the Sherpa in Val Thorens where we stay for our winter ski-ing, and we were right with one major difference - the rooms a three times as big!

Having never been to a US ski resort Vail was an interesting experience - especially the highly entertaining and confusing road system! It took us a while to work out where the hotel was, but once we found it we were not disappointed. The actual location is good - very central and in the ski season it would be a very short walk to the lifts. The lobby and common areas are good, and the rooms are (for European expectations) huge. We had one overlooking the creek, with a large fire and huge bed. It was very comfortable and would have been very welcoming after a day's ski-ing.

The hotel has limited parking underneath (essential I would think in winter) and a very good selection of restaurants in walking distance.

Definately worth considering for an independant traveller going ski-ing in Vail.

• Liked — Central location, huge room
  • Disliked — Vail's roadworks!
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a good map of the town centre, eat at Blu's next door to the hotel
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Big_Blue_Traveller
Columbus
Reviewed 23 June 2006

The Sitzmark Lodge is a small hotel on the south end of Vail Village, a mere block from the ski lift. I stayed in a non-smoking king-bed room and loved it. The entire hotel was impeccably clean. The bed was comfortable, and the room had an armchair, a small table with two chairs, a balcony, and an armoiur. In addition, there was a small refrigerator, kitchen sink, coffee maker with supplies, and wine glasses and a corkscrew. The bathroom was great - excellent water pressure, plenty of hot water, and soaps and lotions that were pleasantly scented without being overpowering. The rooftop pool was clean, and the rooftob hot tub had a lovely view of the mountains.

The front desk staff were pleasant and able to give recommendations for places to eat or visit.

In fact, the only problem I had with the Sitzmark was the construction. There's always a lot of construction in Vail Village during the summer, and I specifically asked about how the hotel was affected by the construction when I booked the room three weeks before arrival. I was told that there was a small amount of sewer work on the street in front, and that was it. When I arrived, I discovered that "small amount of sewer work" meant that the entire street for a full block in front of the hotel was torn up from door to door, that there were new sidewalks and landscaping being installed behind the Sitzmark, and the hotel next to it was being gutted and renovated. It was impossible to sleep past 7 am when construction began, and afternoon naps were hopeless.

I would happily stay in this hotel again - for the price, it can't be beat. But I would avoid it until the start of August 2006 if you wish to sleep in or relax at the hotel during the day.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank RedK
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 20 December 2005

I've stayed at the Sitzmark every winter for eons, and it remains the same reliably friendly place that has always welcomed guests back year after year. In fact, it can be difficult to book a room unless you've stayed there before. The people are warm and courteous, the rooms are very comfortable, and it is unquestionably the best value in Vail. Why would I want to spend twice as much money so that I could walk three times the distance to the lifts? It's my hope that many travelers will decide to stay elsewhere so that my family and I will have an easy time getting a reservation.

• Stayed January 2005