“Best Overall Value in Vail”
Review of Tivoli Lodge

Tivoli Lodge
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Wash. DC
“Best Overall Value in Vail”
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Just returned from our first stay at Tivoli and we will absolutely go back. A great hotel, which still has a new smell to it, and is probably the best overall value at Vail. The primary reason to stay here is convenience to everything. It’s a short walk from Tivoli to both the Vista Bahn and Golden Peak chairs (about 4-5 minutes in ski boots), a short walk to the Village (about two minutes), and the free Vail In Town Bus Stop is located just outside the hotel if you want to venture out to Bol or Lionshead. The rooms are spacious and well-layed out. There is a standard sized closet and a total of eight large drawers in which to house all your clothes. Bathrooms are large with our room (mountain view) having a separate shower and tub. The “free” breakfast buffet doesn’t have a lot of variety from day-to-day, but it’s quite good. Basically, there’s a choice of scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, French toast or egg wraps, a few cereals, salmon, bagels, a few pastries, some fruit and yogurt. The breakfast area is a large open area in the lobby which gives the place a “ski lodge” feel to it. Skis and boots are stored in a locked room where a ski concierge is available during certain hours to give you your equipment. Outside of the ski concierge hours, you have to call the front desk for assistance. You can not get your own skis out of the locker and you can’t take them to your room. The ski locker room was our only disappointment during the stay. The first two days, it worked great. The last two days, however, there was a significant delay in getting our equipment and the people waiting for skis were quite frustrated. The hotel offers two hot tubs outside, which were never overcrowded. Robes are provided in your room and towels are provided behind the front desk. They also have slippers for you to use if you ask. The hotel has a bar inside and it would have been great if one of the staff came out to the hot tub periodically to see if anyone wanted drink refills. Service was excellent and, for the most part, you were always greeted with a hello from everyone who worked there. To me, the most comparable hotel is the Christiania (which we also like). The Christiania is slightly better location wise (about a minutes faster to the slopes and village, but farther away from the bus stop), but the breakfast at the Tivoli is much better, the Tivoli is newer, the Tivoli rooms have more space to put stuff and the service at the Tivoli is simply nicer.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Having stayed at many B&Bs, the Tivoli Lodge reminded me of an excellent, upscale B&B with a great location. The outstanding breakfast was in the large lobby that served various purposes and provivded for a friendly, warm atmosphere where friendships could be easily be initiated. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The ski valet was well located and helpful. The rooms were clean and nicely furnished. For skiiers like me, it was a delight as the Vista Bahn chairlift was only a few minutes away and returning involved skiing right up to the hotel back entrance. I look forward to coming back in the future. Mahwah, NJ

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Torrance, California
Reviewed 30 January 2011

We can't say enough good things about our stay at the Tivoli. It is fantastically located, you can easily walk (2 min) to Golden Peak and take the Riva Bahn chair and Vista Bahn is only a 5 min walk. You can ski down within 200 feet of the back door. (Well, not sure about 200 feet, didn't measure but literally across the road - fantastic!).

Every morning we were fed a yummy buffet breakfast with a great range of comfort food (eggs/bacon) and stuff your Mom would want you to eat (oatmeal/fruit).

The staff and owners are phenomenal. Any request or need they accommodated graciously. Our family from Denver came up to ski on our last day and everyone treated them with the same level of courtesy as the guests which was very generous.

The Tivoli gives the best of both worlds, 4 star comfort and the welcome of a small B&B.

We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Lancaster, Ohio
Reviewed 21 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Tivoli for 7 days the second week of December for our honeymoon! I can honestly say the Tivoli is the most beautiful lodge we have ever stayed in! Everything was perfect. We chose the Tivoli based on the reviews on this website. We are both in our early 20's, and while the majority of the other guests staying at the Tivoli while we were there were quite older than us, we would not have changed a thing about our stay! The rooms are imaculate! We stayed in the Mountain Tower room on the third floor. The bed is very comfy, the bathrooms are beautiful (LOVE the granite, towel warmer, and multiple shower heads!), and the staff is very friendly and willing to help with anything you might need! I can't forget to mention Speedy, the family chocolate lab at the lodge. He is such a friendly dog! The tivoli is right on the edge of the village and within walking distance to everything you need! We recommend eating at Moe's Barbeque in Lionshead and La Bottega (try the italian cheesesteaks and pasta salad!), Vendetta's, and the Tap Room all in Vail Village. All have amazing food! We WILL be back to stay at the Tivoli again in the winter, and are planning on coming back in the summer also! Wonderful lodge! Definitely recommend! =)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I had never been to Vail before so I stayed at the Tivoli for 5 nights in early December 2010 based on the reviews on Tripadvisor, and I am pleased to confirm that all the positive reviews about this hotel are spot on. The location is perfect as the hotel is located just on the edge of Vail pedestrian village. Walk out the front door and walk 150metres in either direction and you will be at either the Golden Peak Riva Bahn gondola (where I had my ski lessons) or the Vail Village Vista Bahn gondola. The hotel has a terrific free buffet breakfast each morning in the lobby with a couple of hot options (eg: sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs etc) every day. There is a cosy bar area in the lobby and directly outside the bar area there are two hot tubs where you can relax after a hard day skiing. The staff are very friendly and they have a free ski concierge to store your ski gear each day. They also have a small business centre with a computer and free internet access for guests which is something I always value highly when I am on holidays. I had a queen room on level 1 at the front of the hotel and I thought the room was fantastic. It was super clean, very roomy, had a small kitchenette and fridge, really nice clean marble bathroom with shower (no bath in my room), a TV with an extensive channel selection, plenty of drawer space and a small table with 2 chairs. I was there in early December so I got really good room rates (A$175 per night) and frankly I felt guilty when I checked out because I felt I got much more value than I paid for. Having a nice clean hotel room to go back to each evening was very nice. One tip I have for beginner skiers is that hiring skis, ski boots and helmets is easy, but I couldn't find any stores in the village who hired out ski pants and jackets, in fact they sneered at me when I asked because they obviously want people to buy new gear, but I do think that is a little unreasonable for beginners who may not intend to ski on a regular basis. After 1 day of skiing I ended up having to buy some new ski pants and a ski jacket just so I wouldn't freeze to death on the slopes. If you do have to buy gear there try to get to the local Vail Sports Authority store which is outside the village as they sell fantastic gear at cheaper prices than the village stores. Unfortunately I found this out too late, and I also found out that there is a business in the Vail valley that does rent gear out and it will deliver it to your hotel, but I never saw it advertised and by the time I found out it was too late, so if you don't have the right ski clothes I recommend you investigate these two options before you get there as there is nothing worse than skiing without warm waterproof clothes. That was my only complaint though and I really enjoyed my time in Vail.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Wonderful place to stay! The hotel is new as of three or four years ago and is well designed.. Overall atmosphere is a Euro-lodge. Lots of amenities in more of an informal lodge-type environment. There are 80+ rooms but it doesn't seem like it.

Entryway and main area have lots of stone and timbers, very comfortable environment. Room is nice size. Bathroom door is carved wood and has a nice size tub and shower with massaging showerhead. Sink space is a little small, but it's not a big deal. Two hot tubs out back on the mountain side.

We were on the mountain side. It is quiet and a lovely view. Staff is very friendly, always there to answer questions. Service is prompt. Owners were there every day and very friendly.

Complementary breakfast is delicious--fruit, juice, yogurt, a few hot items. No other food service, but it's a several minute walk to the village.

All in all, a very nice stay. Environment with nice amenities were the big draw. No real negatives come to mind.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Tried several hotels before finding this gem in Vail Village. It's a gorgeous, brand-new building, but is family-owned with a communal ski lodge feel. The staff is wonderful. The free breakfast is excellent, with everything you could want. Breakfast is enjoyed communally with the friends you inevitably will make during your stay. You'll see those same folks in the hot tubs after a day of skiing. The rooms are beautiful, especially the mountain view rooms with fireplace, bar area, and large bathroom with separate shower and tub. I've also stayed in a smaller queen room, which also was very nice, and a great value. And saving the best for last: this location could not be better. It's right on the edge of the village, a very short walk from either the Vista Bahn or the Riva Bahn in Golden Peak. And the Tap Room is just 100 yds away for Apres! Forget the Arrabelle; lose the glitter and buses and stay at the Tivoli! (Oh, and if you HAVE to ride the Vail bus, the stop is right out the front door!)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends