All reviews terra bistro athletic club climbing wall deep soaking tub workout facilities small hotel breakfast was included public parking great property covered bridge separate shower walking distance to everything fitness center the room was nice bed was very comfortable room rate a great place to stay
Reviewed 15 October 2017

My husband and I stayed here with our pet for a one-night stay. It had qualities that few hotels possess, and for that, it was a gem! It was not without faults, however, and a few changes would make this a 5/5 property.

PARKING:
As it is the off-season, I would recommend parking across the street in the public garage. It is free for the time being. Once the snow comes in (around Thanksgiving), the garage will charge $50/per day (a raise from their previous rate of $25/day, according to an employee). If you go during winter, I recommend valeting. Even with a tip, it'll still cost less.

HOTEL DECOR/LAYOUT:
I saw two entrances. One led directly into their restaurant. It connects to the main lobby so you could cut through, but it’s easier to take the main entrance. The main entrance is directly across from the parking garage. You take a small staircase up to the main lobby, or a different one down to the fitness area/spa. There is access for handicapped guests to the right of the staircase. The hotel has some mountain-y qualities, but not a lodge feel. At times, the decor seemed to lack a cohesive theme with respect to light fixtures, carpeting, and furniture. It was clean, but a little dated.

FOOD:
The hotel comes with a free breakfast buffet, and the quality of it alone should make you highly consider this place. The waiter told me the entire menu was organic, which is incredible, considering how hard it is to get organic pork. The menu was delicious, well presented, and varied.
It included:
Bacon, sausage links, seasoned potatoes, scrambled eggs, topping bar (pico, shredded cheese, etc.), warm tortillas, mini muffins, breads (there was a toaster), almond slices, yogurt, sliced strawberries, raisins, house made granola (really good), orange wedges, coffee (they had sugar cubes), and tea, among others.

For dinner, they have a nice restaurant (same location as breakfast). It, too, has organic items (I'm not sure if the whole menu is). The menu is small, but all of the options sounded good. Our dinner was tasty, and my "iron skillet chicken" was incredibly juicy. To boot, the skin was crispy and tasted like bacon! You definitely should check this place out, but keep in mind that some items change.

STAFF:
The staff was, for the most part, very good! At dinner, we ate at the bar (all tables were taken and a seat was about a 2 hour wait). The bartender, I think her name was Candace, was really attentive to everyone. The maitre d' was also polite.
The agent who checked us in was okay--not unfriendly but not really friendly either. Another agent didn't smile when I approached him with a question, or any other time I saw him. Part of Forbes training (the hospitality organization that awards star ratings), is that you smile upon communicating with any guest. He wasn’t mean at all; he just came across as a little disinterested.
The waiter during breakfast was really attentive. He watched everyone in the dining area, walked around with fresh coffee for refills, and took away dirty plates very quickly. Kudos to him! The only thing I can say that was problematic was he didn't adequately warn me about a charge. When he came to check on us, he asked, "Are you doing okay? Do you need anything else like some more coffee or an espresso?" Now, normally, I would think to ask if there was an additional charge, but as the breakfast was complimentary and more on the high-end side, and he said it so casually, we assumed the espresso was included. We were very surprised when we got a bill for $5+ for 1 espresso shot. If I had gotten one, it would've been close to $11 dollars for two drinks. That was disappointing. I wish he would've clarified before offering.

SUITE:
Every room comes with a fireplace and a deep soak tub! The bathroom is large, the shower was really clean, and the toilet is separated with a door so you have a lot of privacy. The tub fills up and comes to temp quickly. It certainly was nice to soak in after a 12+ hour day of driving! The beds are comfy and feather stuffed. The carpeting feels nice on the feet (it’s a little plushy). There are two robes in the closet, no slippers, and even though they're rough, they were still nice to slip into after the tub. There was an iron (heated really fast and stayed hot long after it shut off, so be careful), a small ironing board, a humidifier, a small fridge, and a Keurig with a few selections of K-Cups, as well as a mini coffee kit (sugars and non-refrigerated creamer). My view wasn’t that great, but that may have been because I was in a pet friendly suite. The side windows all showed the property next door, and the front window, although it had a mountain view, was blocked in part by the parking garage. Still, it wasn’t bad. The décor was okay but should be upgraded.

AMENITIES:
The downstairs has a fitness center that blew me away. It was better than any hotel fitness center I’ve ever seen. The ladies at the front desk were really sweet and friendly, and one gave us a tour. There were weights, a rock-climbing wall, bikes, a private yoga room, fitness classes, chiropractic massages (all included!), and a spa (treatments sold separately) with hot tubs! There are also clothes for purchase. If you’re into health and fitness, this is your place. Organic food and a world-class fitness center? Unbeatable!

They have a small business center, but I don't know how intensive it is with respect to mailing, faxes, etc.

The pet policy is nice, but it is only dog friendly. The fee is a little expensive at $50/pet.

OVERALL:
It could use some upgrades, but the food, fitness center, and suite features make this a great option! I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely return. If you’re a skier, you are going to have to walk a bit so weigh your options. The back of the hotel leads to a nice walking path along the river, which takes you to a small bridge that leads into a nice part of Vail. There, you’ll find shopping and food. Definitely good for romance, families, and business travelers. This place is great!

SUGGESTIONS TO MANAGEMENT:
Use a fabric softener for the robes.
Consider updating the décor for the hotel and the suites. The carpeting in the hallways is worn and dated, and it overall just didn’t feel like a mountain hotel. The suites would look awesome if you added some wood beams up by the ceilings, especially since they're slanted.
Equip each room with a detailed instruction sheet for how to use the fireplace. The fireplace would only stay on for a minute, and when I called the agent for help, he explained that the fireplace only works if certain things are off. I couldn’t quite get it figured out, and for a 1-night stay, it wasn’t worth calling maintenance in, as he helpfully suggested.
Get microwaves in the room.
Consider allowing cats, too. They're usually quiet in unfamiliar places, so the odds of guest disturbance or suite damage are minimal.
Hot chocolate packets would be a nice addition to the lobby’s coffee station.
Consider getting a microwave in the kitchen. The waiter told me the chef didn’t want one because the food was supposed to be fresh (which I love!), but I like piping hot coffee and my creamer cooled it down too much. The only solution the waiter had was to add more coffee, which although nice, diluted the creamer. If not that, maybe warm the creamer before putting it in the carafes. Simple and not a big deal, but it would’ve impressed me!
Overall, great job!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheTravelinLady
Reviewed 1 October 2017

We went to Littleton, Colo, to visit my son, and decided to see Vail, too. Within hours of arriving, my wife succumbed to altitude sickness, fainted, and in a freakish accident, broke her ankle. (People joked it couldn't have happened in a better location.! Given healthcare and all.) Luckily, we were staying at Mountain Lodge. Accommodations were great for the handicapped, and staff couldn't have been friendlier. Manager Adam even offered to return the wheelchair we had rented on his way home as we were leaving, and Pam, manager of restaurant, and waiter Dan, were exceedingly friendly and compassionate, always asking about how we were doing, with the mishap and all.

Even though the initial price quoted was a bit higher than we were used to paying for a hotel, in the end, we found Mountain Lodge to be well worth it. In spite of everything, our Vail experience was memorable, the area gorgeous, and Vail Mountain Lodge terrific.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 1 October 2017

The staff and location are without a doubt the two best things about this property. They went above and beyond to make our stay incredibly welcome, and the hotel itself is just a few minutes walking distance from shopping and dining. The rooms are well furnished and cozy, with a fireplace and timer so that you can set it and relax or doze in the warmth. The only thing I would recommend is more options for safe gluten-free breakfast foods...even just fresh fruit in a basket, though this wouldn't keep us from returning. We were very impressed by the hospitality and comfort and definitely plan to return.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

I loved our room. We got a 2 queen bed room on the 2nd floor. It was a big room. Really liked the fireplace, making the room extra warm and comfy. The bed and bedding were so so comfy. The bathroom had a jacuzzi and a separate shower and 2 sinks. Overall we would only stay here. And lastly, the breakfast was ridiculously delicious. Also there was this amazing outdoor jacuzzis which I did not use. I wish I did. I Will come back.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2017

The room was a nice size with an oversized bathroom/separate toilet. Toiletries and towels were above average. I didn't like the bed because it had a feather comforter and topper and the quills from both poked my skin. The height of the TV was to low to comfortably watch while lying in bed.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business